Early Los Angeles Historical Buildings (1900 - 1925)

Historical Photos of Early Los Angeles

 
(ca. 1920)* - The Pico House, sometimes called "Old Pico House", built by Pio Pico in 1869-70. For a period in the 1920's it became the "National Hotel" and here we see a corner view of the building at the corner of N. Main & Plaza St., with a sign for "Plaza Employment Agency" on the right side of the building. A crowd of people are hanging around the corner, and a row of cars is parked up the left side, while 3 or 4 cars are seen on the right side.  

 

Historical Notes

Pío Pico constructed the Pico House in 1869-70. The first three-story hotel built in Los Angeles, it had about eighty rooms, large windows, a grand staircase, and a small interior courtyard.^*

The Pico House (Hotel) was designated as California Historical Landmark No. 159 (Click HERE to see California Historical Landmarks in LA).

 

 

 
(ca. 1971)*^*^ - View of the Pico House's interior courtyard shortly after it was restored.  

 

 

Click HERE to see more Early Views of the Pico House

 

* * * * *

 

 

Hamburger's Department Store (later May Co.)

 
(ca. 1920)* - Exterior view of Hamburger's ornately decorated department store located on the corner of Hill and Eighth streets.  Awnings cover the display windows on one side and cars are parked end to end at the curb.  

 

Historical Notes

Originally designed by Alfred F. Rosenheim and opened in 1908, this Beaux Arts building was enlarged by Aleck Curlett in 1929 to accommodate more merchandise. The store was acquired from A. Hamburger & Sons Co. by David May in 1923 and renamed the May Company.*

A. Hamburger and Sons was one of the first department stores to operate in Los Angeles.  Originally known as A. Hamburger & Son's People's Store, the name later changed to Hamburger's Store.   In 1908 the company relocated their store from Spring Street to a new building located at Broadway and Eighth Street.^^#

 

 

 
(1933)* - View of the May Co. Building (previously Hamburger's Department Store) located on the corner of Eighth and Hill streets. The building runs all the way from Hill to Broadway on the south side of 8th Street.  

 

Historical Notes

May Department Stores acquired Hamburger's in 1923 and renamed it the May Company. Much later in the century, the May Company and Robinsons chains of department stores would affiliate under the name Robinsons-May; and this entity would be bought out by Macy's in 2005.^^#

 

 

 
(1951)* - Photo by Dick Whittington showing the exterior of the May Co. building located in downtown Los Angeles.  

 

Historical Notes

More recently, the building has been known as the California Broadway Trade Center and houses dozens of individual retail stalls.*

The building is now owned by the Afshani brothers who, it is rumored, are planning to bring a hotel, apartments, and revamped retail space to the one-million-square-foot site, which runs all the way between Broadway and Hill.*##

In 1989, the Hamburger/May Co. Department Store Building was designated Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 459 (Click HERE for complete listing).

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

County Courthouse

 
(ca. 1917)#^*- View of the southeast corner of Temple Street and Broadway showing the County Court House and Hall of Records  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1920)^ - View of the Los Angeles County Courthouse and Hall of Records standing side-by-side.  

 

Historical Notes

The LA County Courthouse was built in 1891 at the old site of Los Angeles High School. The building was demolished in 1936.

The Hall of Records was built in 1906 and demolished in 1973.*

 

 

 
(1928)* - View of the Los Angeles County Courthouse viewed through the colonnade of the recently completed City Hall.  

 

* * * * *

 

Broadway Christian Church

 
(ca. 1923)* - View looking at the Victorian-style Broadway Christian Church at 223 Broadway, located across the street from the County Courthouse just south of Temple Street.  

 

Historical Notes

Dedicated in 1895, this building served as the Broadway Christian Church until 1925, at which time the congregation relocated and built a Spanish-style church at 3405 W. Pico Blvd. in Los Angeles. Many years later, the Pico-Arlington Christian Church became the Ethiopian Christian Church. 

B. F. Coulter was an ordained minister and founded the Broadway Christian Church.  He was also one of the earliest merchants in Los Angeles having started Coulter's Dry Goods in 1878.

 

* * * * *

 

Hotel Ford

 
(1921)* - The northwest corner of Olive and 7th Streets on December 28, 1921. This is the future site of the Bank of Italy Building. In this photo it is Hotel Ford, with a dentist's office above. It is also known as the United States Hotel. The Knickerbocker Building is at right.  

 

 

Bank of Italy Building (Today, Giannini Place)

 
(1922)* – View showing the newly constructed Bank of Italy at 649 South Olive Street. The building is a neoclassical base supporting office block, a rusticated base, with 3-story monumental colonnades. Date built: 1922. Architects: Morgan, Walls & Clements.  

 

Historical Notes

The 12-story building was completed in 1922 and dedicated in 1923.  It was built as the Los Angeles headquarters of the Bank of Italy, a forerunner to Bank of America founded by Amadeo Giannini.  Designed by architectural firm Morgan, Walls & Clements, the Neoclassical architectural style building has Doric columns, ornate golden ceiling and marble floors. The bronze front doors are surrounded by terra cotta sculptures of American coins.

* * * * *

The Bank of Italy was founded in San Francisco, in 1904 by Amadeo Giannini. It grew by a branch banking strategy to become the Bank of America, the world's largest commercial bank with 493 branches in California and assets of $5 billion in 1945. It was also the first state-wide branch banking system.

The Bank of Italy merged with the smaller Bank of America, Los Angeles in the 1928. In 1930, Giannini changed the name "Bank of Italy" to "Bank of America." As Chairman of the new, larger Bank of America, Giannini expanded the bank throughout his tenure, which ended with his death in 1949.^*

 

 

 
(1920s)* – View looking at the NW corner of 7th and Olive streets showing the Bank of Italy, once the site of the Hotel Ford.  

 

Historical Notes

When the Bank of Italy Building opened in 1922 it had a massive vault that included space for 12,000 safe-deposit boxes. The main vault door weighed 50 tons.

Bank of Italy, already the largest bank in the West by 1923, also encouraged deposits from a group that most banks at the time overlooked — women and children. It became Bank of America in 1930.

The building, now known as Giannini Place, was remodeled in 1968, and declared LA Historic Cultural Monument No. 354 on April 16, 1988. Click HERE for contemporary view.

 

* * * * *

 

Loew's State Theater

 
(1921)* - View looking at the southwest corner of Broadway and 7th Street showing the construction of Loew's State Theater. Workers can be seen sitting on different floors taking a break.    

 

Historical Notes

Loew's State Theatre, located at 703 S. Broadway was constructed in 1921 on the site of the Vogel Block (1893-1920).  It opened the same year and had a seating capacity of 2,450. The theater offered both film and vaudeville when it opened. Designed by Charles Weeks and William Day, the 12-story Loew's State is said to be the largest brick-clad structure in Los Angeles.^*

It was the 200th theatre built by Marcus Loew and was the most completely equipped on the coast. The theatre was housed in a twelve-story building costing $2,500,000. The theatre proper cost $1,500,000. It was built by Woods Brothers, Weeks and Day, and was under the direction of Ackerman and Harris, Western managers for Loew in San Francisco.**^

 

 

 
(1921)* - Pedestrians walk by the marquee at the Loew's State Theater on the corner of 7th and Broadway as it advertises Mae Murray in "Broadway Rose". On the ground floor is The Owl Drug Co. Various businesses occupy the other floors. A horse and buggy is stopped at the intersection next to a streetcar.  

 

Historical Notes

Loew's State Theatre was built as the west coast showcase for the product of the Loew's subsidiary Metro Pictures. The opening was on November 12, 1921 at one of downtown's busiest intersections, 7th and Broadway. Loew's State once used entrances on both streets. The 7th St. entrance was closed in 1936.

The opening attraction was MGM's "Liliom." Marcus Loew was in attendance with a bevy of stars. Wonderfully successful as a vaudeville/movie house, it featured elaborate stage shows by Fanchon and Marco with leading performers. Judy Garland sang here when she was still one of the Gumm Sisters.**^

 

 

 
(ca. 1924)^ – View of the Loew's State Building (Loew's State Theatre) at the southwest corner of Seventh Street and Broadway. Many streetcars can be seen operating here as thousands crowd into the theatre.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1924 Marcus Loew engineered the merger of Metro with the Goldwyn Co. (which Sam Goldwyn had departed from in a 1922 power struggle) and the Louis B. Mayer group --  resulting in Metro-Goldwyn Pictures. By 1925, Mayer's name was also part of the company name, thus becoming MGM.**^

 

 

 
(1926)**^ - View from above of 7th & Broadway, downtown's busiest intersection.  Loew's State Theater is playing "Syncopating Sue" starring Corinne Griffith.  

 

Historical Notes

MGM's prestige product was well suited to the type of theatres operated by the Loew's Corporation. Although at its height in the late 1920's, the circuit totaled only about 160 theatres, they were typically lavish first runs in major cities.**^

 

 

 
(1922)* - Exterior view of Loew's State Theatre building. The streets are crowded with pedestrians crossing and standing along the sidewalks. Marquee reads: Now- Flapper week-Doris May in "Gay and Devilish." Occupants of the building also includes a dentist, Headquarters for Moore for Senator campaign, Star Shoe Co. and the Owl Drug Co.  

 

 

 

 
(1938)*##^ – View showing the marquee at Loew’s State Theater, Broadway and 7th Street.  Now Playing:  Sonja Henie and Don Ameche in “Happy Landing”, also “City Girl”.  

 

Historical Notes

The theater is noted for the seated Buddha located in a niche above the proscenium arch. The exterior has an elaborate "silver platter" chased ornamentation above the ground story.

In 1998, Metropolitan Theaters stopped showing movies at the State and leased the space to the Universal Church. As of 2008, the State was being operated as a Spanish-language church.^*

 

* * * * *

 

Van de Kamp's Bakery Shop (1st Windmill Shop)

 
(1921)* - Exterior view of Van de Kamp's Bakery Shop on Western and Beverly Boulevard. This is the 1st of the windmill bakery shops which had first been a movie set and was purchased for use as a novel bakery.  

 

Historical Notes

Van de Kamp's Holland Dutch Bakeries was a bakery founded in 1915 and headquartered in the Van de Kamp Bakery Building in Los Angeles. The company's trademark blue windmills featured on their grocery store signs and atop their chain of famous restaurants that were known throughout the region.^*

 

 

 
(1921)* - Interior of Van De Kamp's first restaurant unit, on Spring Street in Los Angeles, in 1921. A few diners are seated on barstools at the counters, while restaurant staff smile for the camera.  

 

Historical Notes

The bakery was sold by the Van de Kamp family and acquired by General Baking Co. in 1956. The company was sold to private investors in 1979, and closed in bankruptcy in 1990.

Former Los Angeles County District Attorney John Van de Kamp is a grandson of the baker's founder. The family also founded Lawry's Restaurants and the Tam O'Shanter Inn.^*

 

* * * * *

 

 

Tam O'Shanter Inn (originally Montgomery's Country Inn then Montogomery's Chanticleer Inn)

 
(ca. 1924)**# - View of the Montgomery's Chanticleer Inn (later Tam O'Shanter Inn) located at 2980 Los Feliz Blvd.  

 

Historical Notes

Montgomery’s Country Inn was built in 1922 by Joe Montgomery partnering with Lawrence Frank and Walter Van de Kamp, founders of Van de Kamp's Holland Dutch Bakeries who also went on to found the Lawry's restaurant chain. They commissioned Harry Oliver to design the building. He constructed the Storybook Style building aided by movie studio carpenters.^*

By 1924, it was known as Montgomery’s Chanticleer Inn, with its quaint tower and small store that sold pretzels, potato chips and the odd mixture of Navajo, Chinese and Italian curios.**#

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1924)^***^ - View showing the Tam O'Shanter Inn, previously Montgomery's Chanticleer Inn.  

 

Historical Notes

When Montgomery's Chanticleer Inn failed to thrive, a fellow Rotarian of one of the partners suggested that the restaurant would attract more customers if it adapted a Scottish theme and the name Tam O’Shanter.**#

 

 

 

 
(1920s)* - A waitress stands in front of the thatched roof Tam O'Shanter Inn. A sign at extreme right reads "Good Food." At left, a counter area is visible, and in the middle, a door leading to indoor dining. Two umbrellas and tables have been placed outside for outdoor dining.  

 

Historical Notes

The exterior of the Tam O’Shanter has been remodeled many times since, but the initial design seen in the above picture shows the fairy-tale influence; tree trunk and branch columns, topsy-turvy roof lines, knotted wood, wrought iron flourishes and homely chimneys.

Owner Lawrence L. Frank, once explained that “every piece of wood which was used in [building the tam] was thrown into fire first with the result that we never had to paint it and it got more beautiful as the years went by.” #**

 

 

 
(1930s)#** - View of a man sitting at the outdoor counter of the Tam O'Shanter Inn.  

 

Historical Notes

This was Walt Disney’s favorite restaurant. He dined here nearly every week during the 1930s, 40s and 50s. #**

 

 

 
(1930)##^* – View looking toward the southeast corner of Los Feliz Boulevard and Boyce Avenue showing the Tam O’ Shanter, advertising Malted Milk for 15 cents. Full car service can be seen at center-left, next to the umbrella.  

 

Historical Notes

The Tam O’ Shanter soon became one of the nation’s first drive-ins with special wooden trays that enabled guests to dine in their cars. They called it 'Car Service de luxe'.

 

 

 
(1930s)+## – View showing four people enjoying a tray-served meal inside their car at Tam O’ Shanter.  

 

Historical Notes

From a 1933 advertisement of the newly remodelled Tam o’ Shanter and its drive-in service:

“We are happy to welcome you to our remodeled Tam o’ Shanter Inn.  Important among the changes made, is the re-establishment of Car Service de luxe – a feature which we originated eight years ago.  Ingenious tables installed in your car, enable you to sit and eat in the comfort and privace of your own automobile…”

Click HERE to see more Early LA Drive-in Restaurants.

 

 

 
(2015)#^^* - Google Street View showing the Tam O'Shanter Restaurant located at 2980 Los Feliz Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

The restaurant was remodeled in 1968 and renamed the "Great Scot", but has since been brought back to the its original name "The Tam O'Shanter Inn". The restaurant's decor still features English and Scottish medieval weapons, kilts, and family Coat of Arms and Medieval Family Crests.^*

Opened in June 1922 by the founders of Van de Kamp's Dutch Bakeries and is still around today, making it Los Angeles’ oldest restaurant that has remained in the same location under the same ownership and management.

 

* * * * *

 

Hal E. Roach Studios

 
(1921)* - Hal Roach (1892-1992) steps out of his car, which is parked outside his Hal E. Roach Studios, located at 8822 Washington Boulevard in Culver City.  

 

Historical Notes

Harold Eugene "Hal" Roach, Sr. was an American film and television producer, director, and actor from the 1910s to the 1990s, best known today for producing the Laurel and Hardy and Our Gang (later known as The Little Rascals) film comedy series.

After an adventurous youth that took him to Alaska, Hal Roach arrived in Hollywood in 1912 and began working as an extra in silent films. Upon coming into an inheritance, he began producing short film comedies in 1915 with his friend Harold Lloyd, who portrayed a character known as Lonesome Luke.^*

 

 

 
(1920s)^* – Postcard view showing a line of cars parked in front of the Hal Roach Studios office buildings.  

 

Historical Notes

Unable to expand his studios in downtown Los Angeles because of zoning, Roach purchased what became the Hal Roach Studios from Harry Culver in Culver City. During the 1920s and 1930s, he employed Lloyd (his top money-maker until his departure in 1923), Will Rogers, Max Davidson, the Our Gang kids, Charley Chase, Harry Langdon, Thelma Todd, ZaSu Pitts, Lupe Vélez, Patsy Kelly and, most famously, Laurel and Hardy. During the 1920s Roach's biggest rival was producer Mack Sennett. In 1925, Roach hired away Sennett's supervising director, F. Richard Jones.^*

 

 

 
(1926)* -  Aerial view of the area surrounding Hal Roach Studios, located in the upper left--the second-to-the-largest building with a flat roof, behind which are the outdoor sets, 8822 Washington Blvd. at the corner of Washington and National in Culver City. Most of the Laurel & Hardy movies, the Our Gang shorts, and many Harold Lloyd comedies were made at the studio,  

 

Historical Notes

The 14.5 acre studio once known as "The Lot of Fun", containing 55 buildings, was torn down in 1963.  They were replaced by light industrial buildings, businesses, and an automobile dealership. Today, Culver City's "Landmark Street" runs down what was the middle of the old studio lot, with the two original sound stages having been located on the north side of Landmark Street, and the backlot/city street sets had been located at the eastern end of Landmark Street. A plaque sits in a small park across from the studio's location, placed there by The Sons of the Desert, an international fraternal organization devoted to the lives and films of comedians Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.^*

 

* * * * *

 

 

San Pedro PE Depot

 
(1921)* - Exterior view of the Pacific Electric Railway station in San Pedro, 1921.  

 

Historical Notes

PE's two-story San Pedro depot was opened in 1920, and succumbed to the wrecking ball in 1961. The new 6th Station on the Port of Los Angeles Waterfront Red Car Line is located just east of the former PE station site, adjacent to the entrance of the Maritime Museum.*^^*

 

 

Click HERE to see more in Early Views of San Pedro and Wilmington

 

* * * * *

 

Eagle Rock City Hall

 
(ca. 1922)* - Exterior view of Eagle Rock City Hall, probably at time of completion in 1922 because the grounds are not yet landscaped. It was designed by architect William Lee Woollett. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #59.
 

 

Historical Notes

The arrival of Owens Valley water via the Los Angeles Aqueduct and the concurrent depletion of the young city's wells ultimately led the city fathers to agree to annexation by Los Angeles in 1923. Eagle Rock is one of the few cities incorporated by Los Angeles to still have its original pre-annexation City Hall (2035 Colorado Blvd.) and Library (2225 Colorado Blvd.) still standing.^*

Click HERE to see Contemporary View.

 

* * * * *

 

Angelus Temple

 
(ca. 1922)* - Exterior view of the bible school and residence of Aimee Semple McPherson, founder of the Foursquare Church, located at Park Avenue and Lemoyne in Echo Park, adjacent to the Angelus Temple.  

 

Historical Notes

Aimee Semple McPherson was a Canadian-American Los Angeles–based evangelist and media celebrity in the 1920s and 1930s. She founded the Foursquare Church which worshipped at the Angelus Temple adjacent to the bible school seen above.^*

 

 

 

 

 
(1920s)**# – Night time view of Angelus Temple located at 1100 Glendale Boulevard in Echo Park.  

 

Historical Notes

Angelus Temple was the central house of worship of the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel. It was constructed in 1922 and dedicated on January 1, 1923. Located opposite Echo Park Lake, the temple had an original seating capacity of 5,300, huge for a church then and now, but suited well for the crowds McPherson attracted as an evangelical sensation of the 1920s and 1930s.^*

 

 

 

 

 
(1930)^*^# - Evangelist Aimee Semple McPherson leading a song during Foursquare Gospel church service at the Angelus Temple.  

 

Historical Notes

In her time she was the most publicized Christian evangelist, surpassing Billy Sunday and her other predecessors. She conducted public faith-healing demonstrations before large crowds, allegedly healing tens of thousands of people. McPherson's articulation of the United States as a nation founded and sustained by divine inspiration continues to be echoed by many pastors in churches today. News coverage sensationalized misfortunes with family and church members; particularly inflaming accusations she had fabricated her reported kidnapping, turning it into a national spectacle. McPherson's preaching style, extensive charity work and ecumenical contributions were a major influence in revitalization of American Evangelical Christianity in the 20th century.^*

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1934)* - Exterior view of Angelus Temple located at Glendale Boulevard and Park Avenue in Echo Park. The marquee reads: "Continuous Revival." The radio towers for the church's radio station, KFSG, are visible on the roof.  

 

Historical Notes

McPherson has been noted as a pioneer in the use of modern media, especially radio, and was the second woman to be granted a broadcast license. She used radio to draw on the growing appeal of popular entertainment in North America and incorporated other forms into her weekly sermons at Angelus Temple.^*

 

 

 

 

 
(1940s)#^^ – Postcard view of the Angelus Temple just as services are being let out.  

 

Historical Notes

The Angelus Temple was the largest construction of its time in North America, rising "125 feet from the main floor". A panorama of clouds, which was the work of artist Anne Henneke, adorns the ceiling, and the temple has eight stained glass windows depicting the life of Jesus Christ, created by artist George Haskins.^*

 

 

 

 

 
(n.d.)**# – Postcard view showing men sitting on benches at Echo Park.  Across the street (Park Avenue) stands Angelus Temple, left, and bible school and residence of Aimee Semple McPherson on the right.  

 

Historical Notes

Angelus Temple underwent renovations in 1972, while still retaining its original interior and exterior appearance. The lighted cross atop the temple's dome is a longstanding landmark. The entire temple was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1992.^*

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

Rose Bowl

 
(1921)#*^ - The Pasadena Rose Bowl under construction in the Arroyo Seco dry riverbed.  

 

Historical Notes

The game now known as the Rose Bowl Game was played at Tournament Park until 1922. The Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association, the game's organizer, realized that the temporary stands were inadequate for a crowd of more than 40,000, and sought to build a better, permanent stadium. The stadium was designed by architect Myron Hunt in 1921. His design was influenced by the Yale Bowl in New Haven, Connecticut, which was built in 1914. ^*

 

 

 

 

 
(1922)^^++ – View showing the Rose Bowl seats being assembled in the early stages of the stadium’s construction.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1922)* - After crowds out-grew Pasadena's Tournament Park, architect Myron Hunt drew up plans for the construction of the Rose Bowl stadium in 1920. On January 1, 1923, USC beat Penn State, 14-3, in the first Rose Bowl game.
 

 

Historical Notes

The Rose Bowl was under construction from 1921 to 1922. The nearby Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum also was under construction during this time and would be completed in May 1923 shortly after the Rose Bowl was completed.

The first game was a regular season contest on October 28, 1922 when Cal defeated USC 12–0. This was the only loss for USC and California finished the season undefeated. California declined the invitation to the 1923 Rose Bowl game and USC went in their place. The stadium was dedicated officially on January 1, 1923 when USC defeated Penn State 14–3.^*

 

 

 

 

 
(1923)#^* - Panoramic view of the 1923 Rose Bowl Game between Penn State University and the University of Southern California at the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena. The stands are almost filled, with the exception of some of the higher areas on the far side of the stadium. Small groups of what appear to be military men are seated on chairs on the track surrounding the field. The game is in progress, with the two teams in the middle of a series near midfield. There are men positioned at several places along the near sideline with photographic cameras, and one man near midfield has a motion picture camera. There is a very tall flag pole on the far right with a large American flag. A large number of automobiles are parked on the far right, beyond the open part of the stadium, where there are also a couple hundred people watching the game over the stadium fence.  

 

Historical Notes

January 1, 1923 was the first time that the Rose Bowl Game was held at the Rose Bowl Stadium. The game featured Penn State University and the University of Southern California, with the score ending at USC 14 to  PSU 3. #^*

The name of the stadium was alternatively "Tournament of Roses Stadium" or "Tournament of Roses Bowl", until being settled as "Rose Bowl" before the 1923 Rose Bowl game.^*

Click HERE to see more in Early Views of USC.

 

 

 

 
(1925)* - Aerial view of the Rose Bowl on New Years Day, January 1, 1925. The stadium is almost full, yet crowds of people are still walking in. The football score that day was: Notre Dame, 27 vs Stanford, 10.  

 

Historical Notes

Originally built as a horseshoe, the stadium was expanded several times over the years. The southern stands were completed in 1928, making the stadium a complete bowl.^*

 

 

 
(ca. 1928)* - Aerial view of the Rose Bowl after the southern stands were constructed making it a complete bowl. Though the stadium appears to be filled to capacity, people are still trickling in, and row upon row of automobiles can be seen neatly parked in the lots. View also shows the residential homes surrounding the stadium, as well as the mountains in the background.
 

 

Historical Notes

The Rose Bowl game grew to become the "granddaddy" of all bowl games, because of its stature as the oldest of all the bowl games. The Rose Bowl stadium is a National Historic Landmark, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 27, 1987.*

 

 

 

Click HERE to see more Early Views of Pasadena

 

* * * * *

 

 

Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum

 
(1922)* - Aerial view showing the early stages of the Coliseum's construction. The arches and east entranceway are already in place.  

 

Historical Notes

The Coliseum was commissioned in 1921 as a memorial to veterans of World War 1. It was rededicated to veterans of all wars in 1968. The official ground breaking ceremony took place on December 21, 1921 with work being completed in just over 16 months, on May 1, 1923. Designed by John and Donald Parkinson, the original bowl's initial construction costs were $954,873.^*

 

 

 

 
(1923)* - Aerial views shows the progress of the construction work on the Coliseum. The stadium itself is almost complete with the surrounding area still needing work. In the foreground can be seen Exposition Park, including the Natural History Museum and Sunken Garden.  

 

Historical Notes

The Coliseum was constructed on land within Exposition Park which orignially was call Agricultural Park. Dating back to 1872, farmers once sold their harvests on the grounds, while horses, dogs, camels, and later automobiles, competed along a racetrack.  In 1913, it was renamed Exposition Park when four tenants moved in:  California Museum of Science and Industry (Exposition Building), National Armory, Domed National History Museum and the Sunken Garden (later called Rose Garden). 

Click HERE to see more of Agricultural Park.

 

 

 
(1923)**# - Aerial view looking north showing an almost completed Coliseum. The next step is the landscaping. Figueroa Street, running left to right, is seen at top.  

 

Historical Notes

When the Coliseum opened in 1923, it was the largest stadium in Los Angeles with a capacity of 75,144..^*

 

 

 
(1923)^*#* – View showing the 1st football game at the LA Memorial Coliseum, USC vs. Pomona.  

 

Historical Notes

The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum opened June of 1923; some 5 months later, on October 6th, the first football game was played in the stadium, with the University of Southern California defeating Pomona College 23-7 before a crowd of 12,836.^*#*

 

 

 
(ca. 1930)#*** - Postcard view of the Memorial Coliseum after its expansion in preparation for the 1932 Olympics. Note: The Olympic torch has yet to be installed.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1930, with the Olympics due in two years, the stadium was extended upward to seventy-nine rows with two tiers of tunnels, expanding the seating to 101,574. The now-signature torch was added. For a time it was known as Olympic Stadium. The Olympic cauldron torch which burned through both Games remains above the peristyle at the east end of the stadium as a reminder of this, as do the Olympic rings symbols over one of the main entrances.^*

 

 

 
(1920s)* - View of the front end of the Coliseum stadium at Exposition Park before the Olympic torch was added.
 

 

Historical Notes

The now-signature torch was added for the Olympics during the 1930 renovation. It is still being lit during the fourth quarters of USC football games.^*

 

 

 
(1932)**# - Final score: USC 13 - Notre Dame 0: USC shut out Notre Dame on its way to a second consecutive consensus national title, matching Notre Dame's feat in 1929 and 1930.  

 

Historical Notes

From 1928-1932, USC and Notre Dame combined to win the national title five straight years, with USC winning in 1928, 1931 and 1932, and Notre Dame winning in 1929 and 1930.^*

In addition to serving as the home field for the USC Trojans since 1923, countless historic events have taken place inside these venerable walls during nine decades of celebrated history. It is the only facility in the world to play host to two Olympiads (X and XXIII), two Super Bowls (I and VII), one World Series (1959), a Papal Mass and visits by three U.S. Presidents: John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon and Ronald Reagan.^*#*

Click HERE to see more in Early Views of USC.

 

 

 
(1932)* - Aerial view of Los Angeles, looking north, with the Coliseum in the foreground. Note: the Olympic torch is now in place. Downtown LA can be seen in the background with City Hall appearing to be the tallest building.  

 

Historical Notes

Prior to the late 1950s the Charter of the City of Los Angeles did not permit any portion of any building other than a purely decorative tower to be more than 150 feet. Therefore, from its completion in 1928 until 1964, the City Hall was the tallest building in Los Angeles, and shared the skyline with only a few structures having decorative towers, including the Richfield Tower and the Eastern Columbia Building.^*

 

 

Click HERE to see more Early Views of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum during the Olympics

 

* * * * *

 

California Bank (1st and Vermont)

 
(1922)^ - View of the California Bank branch office on the southwest corner of Vermont and First Street. Two poles stand in front of the bank with their streetcar wires weaving overhead. The bank has an arched entrance and tall, arched windows where two people lean on the right. Automobiles sit parked in front of Jones Goodie Shop on the far left.  

 

* * * * *

 

 

Hollywood Bowl

 
(1922)* - Hollywood Bowl at first Symphony Under the Stars, July 11, 1922. This was the "Bowl's" official opening and was on the site of a natural amphitheater formerly known as the Daisy Dell. It has undergone several upgrades to improve seating as well as acoustics.  

 

Historical Notes

On July 11, 1922, with the audience seated on simple wooden benches placed on the natural hillsides of Bolton Canyon, conductor Alfred Hertz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic inaugurated the first season of music under the stars at the Hollywood Bowl. The Bowl was very close to its natural state, with only makeshift wooden benches for the audience, and eventually a simple awning over the stage.^*

 

 

 
(1920s)^ - View looking toward the stage from an upper row of seats. The stage of the Hollywood Bowl is shown at center, bordered on each side by columns. Curved rows of bleacher-like seats sit to the left of the camera, while in front of it are rows of box seats. A group of several people stands in the front rows of the center and right sections of seats.  

 

Historical Notes

The Hollywood Bowl has been the summer home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, since its official opening in 1922.^*

In 1922 the admission price was 25 cents.

 

 

Click HERE to see more Early Views of the Hollywood Bowl

 

* * * * *

 

 

Hollywood Masonic Temple

 
(1922)* - Exterior view of the Masonic Temple located at 6840 Hollywood Boulevard, between Highland and La Brea. The building was built in 1922 and designed by Architects Austin, Field & Fry in a Greek Revival design with six tall pillars decorating the front entrance of the building. Note the two ornate 5-bulb streetlights in front of the building. Click HERE to see more in Early L.A. Street Lights.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1921, the Hollywood lodge of the Masons relocated from their existing lodge on the current site of the Kodak Theatre. The construction of the new three-story building was led by lodge master, Charles E. Toberman, who was responsible for the Hollywood Bowl, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, the Roosevelt Hotel and the Max Factor Building.

When the new temple opened, it was one of the most substantial structures in Hollywood. It had a billiard room, pipe organ, ladies parlor, ballroom and lodge rooms. One writer described the building as "unsurpassed for beauty, attractiveness and richness of equipment. The architect, John C. Austin also worked on the Shrine Auditorium, Griffith Observatory and Los Angeles City Hall.^*

 

 

 
(1955)**^# – View looking south on Orchid Avenue toward Hollywood Boulevard.  The Hollywood Masonic Temple is seen on the south side of Hollywood Boulevard at the end of the T-intersection.  

 

Historical Notes

Orchid Avenue at Hollywood Boulevard "disappeared" during the construction of the Hollywood Highland complex in the late 90s. The other half of the street still exists and can be accessed off of Franklin Ave, the next street north of Hollywood Blvd.^*

In 1984, the Hollywood Masonic Temple (now known as the El Capitan Entertainment Centre) was desiganted LA Historic-Cultural Monument No. 277 (Click HERE to see complete listing). It was also listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

Los Angeles Normal School

 
(1922)* - Millspaugh Hall at the Los Angeles State Normal School on Vermont Avenue (later to become UCLA).  Students can be seen sitting in the shade of a Eucalyptus tree.  

 

Historical Notes

The cornerstone for Millspaugh Hall was laid on November 18, 1913; in September 1914, the school began its sessions in the new building. Millspaugh Hall was the center of student and administrative activity and occasionally an outdoor assembly area. The University of California, Southern Branch would eventually come to be known as the University of California, Los Angeles - or UCLA for short.*

 

 

 
(ca. 1925)* - Millspaugh Hall, an ivy-covered Beaux-Arts style building with a flared polygonal dome, was the Administration building of the University of California, Southern Branch, located at 855 N. Vermont Ave.  

 

Historical Notes

UCLA's first Commencement was in 1920 and was held in Millspaugh Hall of what was then the Los Angeles State Normal School on Vermont Avenue. The institution conferred its first bachelor's degree in education in 1923, and its first bachelor of arts degree in 1925. The Class of 1928 was graduated in ceremonies held in the Hollywood Bowl, the site of UCLA Commencements for several years, even following the move from the Vermont Avenue campus to Westwood in 1929.^**

 

 

Click HERE to see more in Early Views of UCLA

 

* * * * *

 

 

Egyptian Theatre

 
(1922)^*^# - The Grauman's Egyptian Theatre on opening night. The film was Douglas Fairbanks' "Robin Hood," which was the first-ever Hollywood premiere.  

 

Historical Notes

The Egyptian Theatre was the venue for the first-ever Hollywood premiere, Robin Hood, starring Douglas Fairbanks, on Wednesday, October 18, 1922. As the film reportedly cost over $1 million to produce, the admission price to the premiere was $5.00. One could reserve a seat up to two weeks in advance for the daily performances. Evening admission was 75¢, $1.00 or $1.50. The film was not shown in any other Los Angeles theater during that year.*^

The address 6712 Hollywood Boulevard, now the site of the Egyptian Theatre, was once the address of Gilbert F. Stevenson and his wife. In 1903, Stevenson, the Secretary and General Manager of the Western Masons Mutual Life Insurance Association, moved from downtown Los Angeles to a five acre lemon ranch on the corner of Prospect (now Hollywood Boulevard) and Dakota (now McCadden Place) Avenues.^#**

 

 

 
(ca. 1923)* - A view of the courtyard of Grauman's Egyptian Theatre with statues of an Egyptian king, Indian elephants. Billboard advertising for Douglas Fairbanks "The Thief of Bagdad." The theatre opened in 1922.  

 

Historical Notes

The Egyptian Theatre was built by showman Sid Grauman and real estate developer Charles E. Toberman, who subsequently built the nearby El Capitan Theatre and Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard. Grauman had previously opened one of the United States' first movie palaces, the Million Dollar Theatre, on Broadway in Downtown Los Angeles in 1918. The Egyptian Theatre cost $800,000 to build and took eighteen months to construct.^*

King Tutankhamen’s tomb was discovered in Egypt on November 26, 1922 and an Egyptian craze swept the nation.^#**

 

 

 

 
(1922)* - Looking toward the stage across the seats in the auditorium, you can see the delicately carved arches around the stage as well as the ornate ceiling above it. The theatre was designed by architects Meyer & Holler.  

 

Historical Notes

Architects Meyer & Holler designed the Egyptian Theatre. The Milwaukee Building Company built it.^#**

 

 

 

 
(1924)* - Interior view of the Egyptian Theatre as seen from the stage.  

 

Historical Notes

The original seating capacity of the theatre was close to 2,071 in a 115 by 125 foot auditorium.^#**

 

 

 

 
(1924)* - View of the Grauman's Egyptian Theatre in 1924. Railroad tracks can be seen on Hollywood Boulevard in front of the theatre.  

 

Historical Notes

The courtyard of the Egyptian is 45 feet wide and 150 feet long. The store fronts along the east side of the courtyard were described as having an "Oriental motif" and apparently sold imports. On the west side, the Pig ‘n Whistle restaurant, which opened on July 22, 1927 and operated until the late 1940s, had a side entrance onto the Egyptian Theatre courtyard. A small tiled area featuring the "pig ‘n whistle" motif still exists in the courtyard on the west wall near the fountain.^#**

 

 

 

 
(1932)#^^ – Postcard view of the front entrance to the Egyptian Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard.  Now Playing:  “Back Street” starring Irene Dunne and John Boles.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1927, Grauman opened a second movie theater further west on Hollywood Boulevard. In keeping with the public fascination in that era with international themes, he named his new theater the Chinese Theatre. Its popularity eventually rivaled and surpassed the Egyptian because of its numerous celebrity handprints, footprints and signatures in the cement of its forecourt.^*

 

 

 

 
(1966)#**^ – View looking southwest on Hollywood Boulevard from Las Palmas Avenue during the holiday season. The Egyptian Theatre is seen on the south side of the Boulevard with the Hollywood Inn (previously Hotel Christie and Drake Hotel) in the distance.  

 

Historical Notes

As Hollywood declined in the 1980s and early 1990s, the Egyptian Theatre eventually fell into disrepair. In 1996, the city of Los Angeles sold the theatre to the American Cinematheque for a nominal one dollar with the provision that the landmark building be restored to its original grandeur and re-opened as a movie theatre. The Cinematheque committed to raising the funds to pay for the restoration and to using the renovated theatre as home for its programs of public film exhibition.^*

 

 

 
(2014)#^^* – Google street view showing the Egyptian Theatre located at 6712 Hollywood Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

The Egyptian Theatre was re-opened to the public on December 4, 1998, after a $12.8 million renovation. The original theatre seated 1760 patrons in a single auditorium. In the restored Egyptian the building has been reconfigured to add a second screening theatre. The main theatre now accommodates 616 patrons and is named after Los Angeles philanthropist Lloyd E. Rigler. The smaller, 77-seat theatre is named for Hollywood director Steven Spielberg.^*

 

 

 

Then and Now

 
(1924)* - Egyptian Theatre   (2014)#^^* – Egyptian Theatre

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

Guaranty Building (Hollywood)

 
(ca. 1923)* – View showing the 12-story Guaranty Building designed by John C. Austin and Frederick Ashley, located on the northeast corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Ivar Avenue.  

 

Historical Notes

The northeast corner of Ivar and Hollywood Blvd. has always occupied a special place in the social and economic history of Hollywood. Part of the original Hollywood ranch owned by Horace and Daeida Wilcox, the corner became the first permanent site of the First Methodist Church of Hollywood in 1910. The Guaranty Building and Loan Association paid the church $2000 per front foot for the site in 1923, and proceeded to erect the twelve story Guaranty Building, one of the first height-limit buildings on Hollywood Blvd.

The owner and builder of the Guaranty Building was one of Hollywood's most prominent citizens. Gilbert Bessemyer was born in Hollywood on his father’s ranch in 1885. Gilbert, after attending public schools and the Normal School of Los Angeles, entered banking. By 1912 he was a director of the Hollywood National Bank and Citizens Savings bank. These were acquired by Security Trust and Savings (Security Pacific today).  In 1919, and Beesemyer and a partner organized the Central Commercial Savings Bank (later known as the Bank of Hollywood).

Beesemyer commissioned John C. Austin and Frederick Ashley to build the Guaranty Building. Classical Beaux Arts Buildings were popular from 1900 on for those businesses who wished to project a conservative image, primarily financial institutions.+^^

 

 

 
(1939)^^ - Looking west on Hollywood Boulevard toward Cahuenga Boulevard. The 12-story Guaranty Building is the tallest in view. Sardi's Restaurant is at lower center-right.  

 

Historical Notes

The complicated financial transactions of the film industry and a burgeoning real estate market had created a need for a number of financial services. Guaranty Savings took its place with other giants: Bank of America, Security Trust, and First Federal of Hollywood, among others. These and their smaller affiliates handled the investments of film moguls and citizens alike.+^^

 

 

 
(2008)^* – View of the Guaranty Building, located at 6331 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood.  

 

Historical Notes

The Guaranty Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. It is currently owned by the Church of Scientology.^*

 

* * * * *

 

 

Vista Theatre (originally Bard's Theatre)

 
(1923)* – View showing the opening of Bard’s Hollywood Theatre (later Vista Theatre), located at 4473 Sunset Drive in East Hollywood. Featuring Baby Peggy in "Tips".  

 

Historical Notes

Bard’s Hollywood Theatre opened on October 16, 1923 with Baby Peggy in “Tips” plus vaudeville acts on stage.

After the famous impresario Sid Grauman opened the Grauman's Egyptian Theatre in 1922, there appeared several movie palaces done in the Egyptian Revival Style in Los Angeles, Bard's Hollywood being one of the first; this wave of interest in Egyptian antiquities corresponded with the discovery of the tomb of King Tutankhamen in November 1922 by Howard Carter and the Earl of Carnarvon in the Valley of the Tombs near Luxor; their expedition electrified the world having recovered over 5000 relics, many composed of gold and alabaster; the theatre's exterior, done in the Spanish Colonial Revival Style, clashed notably with its Egyptian interior. *##*

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)* - Nighttime view of the Vista Theatre (previously Bard's Hollywood Theatre) with its new neon marquee.  

 

Historical Notes

By the late 1920s, Bard's Hollywood Theatre became known as the "Vista." A new neon marquee was erected in 1938 for $1,000. *##*

The Vista also features a variety of hand and foot prints in cement that commemorate some of the cast and crew members of films screened at the theatre. 

 

 

 

 
(1930)* – View looking east showing the junction of Hollywood and Sunset. The marquee of the Vista Theater is visible at top center.  

 

 

 

 
(1951)* - View showing the Vista Theatre in East Hollywood, 4473 Sunset Drive. Note the architectural design details (Spanish Colonial Revival Style) on the face of the building. Architect: Lewis A. Smith.  

 

Historical Notes

Alongside its elegant facade, the interior with its Egyptian designs is the true stunner at this old single screen palace. The original seating capacity in the auditorium held space for 838 seats. The owners later removed every other row to allow for increased legroom, reducing the number of seats to 400.^*

 

 

 
(1980s)* - View showing a lone bicycle rider passing by the Vista Theatre. Now Playing: Postman and Body Heat.  

 

Historical Notes

The Vista got a new screen in the early 1980s during the time it was owned by Landmark Theatres; at this time the theatre reverted to showing revival films. Landmark dropped the lease on the Vista in 1985. *##*

 

 

 
(1980)* - A crowd of people stand at the entranceway awaiting the grand reopening of the Egyptian revival style Vista Theater, featuring the 1934 version of "Cleopatra." Silent-film star Mary MacLaren (1896-1985) helped re-open the Vista. Baby Peggy came back: In 1923 she opened the theater.  

 

Historical Notes

Standing at the "five corners" intersection of Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd, Sunset Drive, Virgil Ave and Hillhurst Ave, the Vista is listed as being in Los Feliz, but some locals will tell you "even the Los Feliz Theatre isn't in Los Feliz!"  They say its East Hollywood, and in fact, old pictures of the theatre show the words "VISTA, EAST HOLLYWOOD" in neon on the rooftop sign and on the marquee. 

In a manner reminiscent of Grauman's Chinese Theatre, the theater's forecourt features cement handprints and footprints of notable film figures. However, the handprints and footprints at the Vista Theatre tend to include more icons of independent and cult films such as Spike Jonze, John C. Reilly and Martin Landau, among many others.^*

 

 

Click HERE to see more in Early Views of Hollywood (1920 +)

 

* * * * *

 

Beverly Theater (Beverly Hills)

 
(1925)* – View showing the newly built Beverly Hills Theater located at 206 N. Beverly Drive.  Its grand opening was May 18th, 1925.  

 

Historical Notes

Designed by L.A. Smith in a style inspired by The Tomb of Second Mughal Emperor Humayun, Delhi 1880's. This was the first vaudeville and movie theater in Beverly Hills. It was built for Beverly Hills real estate mogul Daniel Quinlan.*

There was retail on the ground floor and two studios on the 2nd floor. The south storefront was occupied by Daniel Quinlan's real estate office.  The Quinlan family owned the building until 1936 when it got traded for property behind the Beverly Hills hotel. ++#

 

 

 
(1920s)**^# – View showing the Beverly Theater designed in the Indo-Chinese style and topped with an onion tower.  

 

Historical Notes

The theater was initially operated by West Coast Theatres as the West Coast Beverly. When the chain became Fox West Coast in 1929 the theatre was called the Fox Beverly. It stayed in the circuit until the late 50s and had a whole series of other operators: Amusement Corp. of America, Statewide, Loew's (as Loew's Beverly) and General Cinema. ++#

 

 

 
(1940)* - Auditorium and stage area of the Beverly Theater. Carved elephants decorate the bottom of pillars on either side of the stage, and this motif is continued on the stage curtain.   

 

Historical Notes

The Beverly Theater had a huge Wurlitzer Orchestral pipe organ. When it opened the theater also had an eight-piece orchestra as part of the house staff. ++#

 

 

 
(1970s)* - Aerial view of Beverly Hills with the domed Beverly Theater in the foreground at the intersection of Beverly Drive and Wilshire Boulevard.  

 

 

 

 
(1974)**^# – Front view of the Beverly Hills Theater with a double feature showing "MASH" and "HAROLD & MAUDE".  

 

Historical Notes

In the mid-1970’s, Beverly Hills had a number of theaters. But with the noise & traffic generated by such films as “Tommy”, “Woodstock”, and others, local citizens began to complain. Responding to these local complaints, General Cinemas closed the theater in 1977. ^^^*

 

 

 
(1978)* - Evening view of the Moorish style structure, located at 206 N. Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills, originally known as the Beverly Theater; a Christmas garland hangs from above.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1977, after decades of serving as a movie house, the building was closed. The interior was gutted and redesigned to accommodate commercial use; it was occupied by Fiorucci, a boutique and later an Israeli bank.*

 

 

 
(1978)* - Close-up view showing the dome of the old Beverly Theatre, at time of photo a bank.  

 

Historical Notes

After many years of housing a bank, the Beverly Theater was sadly demolished in August of 2005 to make way for new development. ^^^*

The onion dome ... brings to mind Beverly Hills' temporary original name, "Morocco".

Click HERE to see more in Early Views of Beverly Hills.

 

* * * * *

 

 

Farmers and Merchants National Bank

 
(1923)* - Exterior view of Farmers and Merchants National Bank of Los Angeles, located at the southwest corner of 4th and Main Streets. Note the architectural designs on the building.  

 

Historical Notes

Designed in the Classical Revival style, the Farmers and Merchants Bank remains one of Southern California's finest examples of the early "temples of finance" which were popular at the turn of the century. Its two-story facade, reminiscent of a Roman temple, is punctuated by an entrance framed with Corinthian columns topped by a large triangular pediment. Built in 1905, the bank was designed by the firm of Morgan and Walls.

The Farmers and Merchants Bank was the first incorporated bank in Los Angeles, founded in 1871 by 23 prominent Los Angeles businessmen, with an initial capital of $500,000. The three largest subscribers were Isaias W. Hellman ($100,000), former California Governor John G. Downey ($100,000), and Ozro W. Childs ($50,000) who in later years became the founders of the University of Southern California. Other investors included Charles Ducommun ($25,000), I.M. Hellman ($20,000) and Jose Mascarel ($10,000.) Downey was named the first president. Isaias later served as president of the bank till his death in 1920.^*

Click HERE to see more Early Views of the Farmers and Merchants Bank.

 

* * * * *

 

 

Biltmore Hotel

 
(1923)* - People sit in Pershing Square while across the street flag decorated banners hang from the still unfinished Biltmore Hotel. The view at the corner of 5th and Olive shows building materials on the 5th St. side of the hotel.  

 

Historical Notes

The Los Angeles Biltmore Hotel opened in 1923. With it's 1,500 guest rooms, it was the largest hotel west of Chicago.^*

 

 

 
(ca. 1923)* - View of the three towers of the Biltmore Hotel at 515 South Olive Street, as seen from the center plaza of Pershing Square.  

 

Historical Notes

The architectural firm Schultze & Weaver designed the Biltmore's exterior in a synthesis of the Spanish-Italian Renaissance Revival, Mediterranean Revival, and Beaux Arts styles, meant as an homage to the Castilian heritage of Los Angeles. The "Biltmore Angel" is heavily incorporated into the design—as a symbol of the city as well as the Biltmore itself. With a thick steel and concrete frame, the structure takes up half a city block and rises over 11 stories.^*

 

 

 
(1920s)* - People, fountain, trees and bushes of Pershing Square are in the foreground, while the Biltmore Hotel and Biltmore Garage are in the background across Olive Street.  

 

Historical Notes

The Los Angeles Biltmore is known for being an early home to the Academy Award Ceremony for the Oscars. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was founded at a luncheon banquet in the Crystal Ballroom in May 1927, when guests such as Louis B. Mayer met to discuss plans for the new organization and presenting achievement awards to colleagues in their industry. Legend has it that MGM art director Cedric Gibbons, who was in attendance, immediately grabbed a linen Biltmore napkin and sketched the design for the Oscar statue on it. Eight Oscar ceremonies were held in the Biltmore Bowl during the Academy's early years of 1931, 1935–39, and 1941-42. In 1977 Bob Hope hosted the Academy's 50th Anniversary banquet in the same room.^*

 

 

 
(ca. 1930s)^***^ – View showing the two-story tall Biltmore ballroom (Biltmore Bowl), home to eight Oscar ceremonies.  

 

Historical Notes

Originally called the Sala de Oro and later renamed the Biltmore Bowl, the ballroom was a vast and sumptuous space two stories tall and played host to eight Oscar ceremonies in the 30s and early 40s. In the 1950s, it suffered a devastating fire and was not rebuilt. In its place, the hotel built two smaller ballrooms.^***^

 

 

 

 

 

 

(ca. 1930)^*# - View of Biltmore Hotel on the corner of 5th Street and Olive.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
(1940s)* - View of the lower eastern facade and entrance of the Biltmore Hotel, located at 515 South Olive Street. Buntings and a banner welcome visiting groups.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1969 the Biltmore Hotel was designated a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 60 by the City of Los Angeles. Click HERE to see the LA Historic-Cultural Monument List.

As of 2009, the Los Angeles Biltmore is operated as part of the Millennium & Copthorne Hotels chain as the Millennium Biltmore Hotel. From its original 1500 guestrooms it now has 683, due to room reorganization.^*

 

 

 
(ca. 1924)* - Looking east on 5th Street and Grand Avenue, the Biltmore Hotel and Biltmore Theater are seen on the right. A marquee halfway down the block reads "Biltmore Presents [illegible]". The corner dirt lot (seen on the bottom right) would eventually become part of Central Library.  

 

Historical Notes

Constructed in 1924, the Biltmore Theater was designed by renowned New York hotel architects Leonard Schultze and S. Fullerton Weaver who also designed the Biltmore Hotel. The theatre was connected to the hotel via an arcade and also had the entrance on 5th St.**^

 

 

 
(1924)^***^ – Banners decorate the front of the Biltmore Theater at its grand opening.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1924)* - The crowd at the Biltmore for the grand opening of the new theater with Ziegfeld's smash musical "Sally".  

 

Historical Notes

The Biltmore Theater opened on March 3, 1924 with a Ziegfeld production of "Sally" starring Leon Errol. The musical was written by Jerome Kern, Clifford Grey and Guy Bolton.

The theatre was under Erlanger circuit management. Will Rogers was the emcee and tickets were $10.00.**^

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1924)* - View from the balcony of the painted theater curtain of the 1,654-seat Biltmore Theater.  

 

Historical Notes

Tthe Biltmore Theater was a major venue for Broadway shows playing in Los Angeles for decades. The Biltmore was still part of the Erlanger circuit during the 30s and 40s. 

The theater was demolished in 1964 and the site was used as a parking lot until the 1980s when a tower addition to the hotel was built.**^

 

 

 
(1950)* – View showing the Biltmore Hotel with a line of trees along the Olive Street side of Pershing Square.  

 

 

 

 
(1970s)##^* – View looking west from the corner of 5th and Hill streets showing the Biltmore Hotel with Crocker-Citizens Bank Building and Arco Towers behind it.  Thrifty is on the N/W corner.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 2011)**# – View looking southwest showing Pershing Square as it appears today with the Biltmore Hotel on the right and the downtown skyline in the background.  

 

* * * * *

 

 

Masonic Temple (Highland Park)

 
(ca. 1923)* - Masonic Temple on North Figueroa Street and Avenue 56 in Highland Park, which has a sign announcing Hall's Dry Goods and Men's Furnishing Goods Store will soon occupy the first floor. The brick building is located on the southwest corner of the intersection.  

 

Historical Notes

Completed in 1923, the 'Commercial/Renaissance Revival' style building served as Lodge 382 of the Free and Accepted Masons for sixty years. The original structure included retail shops on the ground floor with the lodge and banquet hall on the second floor. In 1983, the Masons were forced to vacate the structure when they were unable to afford the cost of retrofitting the building to meet seismic safety requirements.^*

 

* * * * *

 

Venice High School

 
(ca. 1924)* - The pool in front of the Venice High School contains a statue with 2 figures, a man kneeling and a woman standing above and behind him, done by sculptor, Harry Winebrenner.  

 

Historical Notes

Venice Union Polytechnic High School, as it was originally called, was established in 1911 with classes being held in an old lagoon bathhouse; at the time, it boasted of 52 students and 8 faculty members. In 1913, a 29-acre site was purchased and in September of 1924, the school moved to its current location at 13000 Venice Boulevard. A year later, in 1925, the school was annexed to the city of Los Angeles and its name officially changed to Venice High School.*

 

 

 
(ca. 1924)* - A closer view of the pool in front of the Venice High School. Actress Myrna Loy (at that time she was a student--Myrna Williams) posed for the statue.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1933)^*^# – View showing Venice High School following the 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  

 

Historical Notes

On March 10, 1933, the Long Beach Earthquake critically damaged the school, and it was subsequently torn down. As a result, for a period of two years classes had to be held in hastily constructed tents until a replacement school was built. On January 22, 1935 ground was broken for the new modern buildings that still stand today.*

 

* * * * *

 

 

Rancho Cienega O' Paso de la Tijera (also known as Baldwin Ranch)

 
(1924)* - Panoramic view of Rancho Cienega O' Paso de la Tijera (also known as Baldwin Ranch) located on the 2400 block of S. Crenshaw Boulevard in the Baldwin Hills area, looking east. The taller white building to the left of center is the Sanchez Adobe (not to be confused with the other Sanchez Adobe in Montebello) and is generally assumed to be the oldest building in Los Angeles.  

 

Historical Notes

Rancho La Cienega O' Paso de la Tijera was a series of adjoining adobe structures located on the eastern side of the Baldwin Hills in an area determined to be approximately 4,481 acres.

The unusual title of the Rancho is actually two names combined: "La Cienega" ("The Swamp"), refers to the marshes in the area between Baldwin Hills and Beverly Hills; the latter half of the name "Paso de la Tijera" ("Pass of the Scissors"), was a name used by the early Spanish to describe the pass through the nearby hills that resembled an open pair of scissors.*

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1924)^ - Casa de Sanchez, ca. 1924. At this time, the house was already 130 years old.  

 

Historical Notes

This two story structure may have been built in the early 1790s, making it older than Avila Adobe, maybe older than Mission San Gabriel, older even, perhaps, than the 1795 Gage Mansion in Bell Gardens, currently considered the oldest structure in Los Angeles County. Like Mission San Fernando, the Sanchez Adobe wasn't previously part of Los Angeles but it's an integral part of it now, and was perhaps great-great-great-grandfathered in as the city's oldest building amid growth and annexation.^*^*

 

 

 
(1924)* - View of Rancho Cienega O' Paso de la Tijera shows two adobes, a single-story on the left, and the Casa de Sanchez on the right; another smaller building is visible in the background between the adobes.  

 

Historical Notes

The Rancho La Cienega O' Paso de la Tijera area remained unclaimed for many years following the first Spanish settlements in California. Squatters from the pueblo considering these lands public and built the La Tijera adobe as early as 1790 or 1795 for the purpose of raising cattle on surrounding land. In 1843, Manuel Michaeltorrena (then Mexican Governor of Alta California) formally granted Rancho La Cienega O' Paso de la Tijera to Vicente Sánchez.*

 

 

 
(1924)* - View of Rancho Cienega O' Paso de la Tijera shows two adobes, both single-story, with what appears to be a wooden well in the area between them.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1875, Tomas Sanchez (Vincente's grandson) sold Rancho La Cienega o Paso de la Tijera to Francis Pliney Fisk (F.P.F) Temple (brother of John Temple of Temple Block and Temple St.), Arthur J. Hutchinson, Henry Ledyard and Daniel Freeman. However, Temple experienced financial difficulties and in 1875 Elias J. (Lucky) Baldwin acquired the rancho, giving his name to the hills that dominated the western section of the rancho and thereafter known as the Baldwin Hills. Baldwin used the ranch primarily as a sheep pasture but it was not profitable. When Baldwin died 1909, his daughter Anita M. Baldwin realized that there was oil on the estate, and by 1916 drilling had begun.^*

 

 

 
(ca. 1935)^ - Exterior view of the remodeled adobe home of Tomas Sanchez on the Rancho Cienega de la Tiejera in Baldwin Hills.  

 

Historical Notes

In more recent years, a portion of Rancho La Cienega O' Paso de la Tijera became the center of Sunset Fields public golf links located at 3725 Don Felipe Drive, off Crenshaw Boulevard. In 1959, Bernadette Fathers sold the property to Park View Women's Club.*

Rancho La Cienega O' Paso de la Tijera (Sanchez Ranch) was declared Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 487 on May 1, 1990 (Click HERE to see complete listing).

 

* * * * *

 

Sphinx Realty Company

 
(ca. 1920s)#***# – View looking north on Fairfax Ave showing a man walking in front of the Sphinx Realty Company. The building was located at 537 North Fairfax Avenue, across the street from Fairfax High School. Camel-shaped sign on the left reads: 50 ft. Kings Road - $2150. Triangular-shaped sign on right reads: Well Located Lot - $1895.  

 

Historical Notes

In the 1920s, as the automobile was becoming the default way to get around the Southland, buildings and structures in the area became more unique. These “hey-you-can’t miss-me!” buildings (referred to as Novelty or Programmatic Architecture) were made to pull automobile drivers right off the road.

Click HERE to see more examples of Programmatic Architecture.

 

 

 

 
(1920)* - Exterior view of the Sphinx Realty Company, in the shape of a sphinx, located at 537 North Fairfax Avenue, surrounded by signs listing these properties for sale: Beautiful five bedroom home, $6,750; Six room corner stucco near here, $7,200; Seven room stucco, $7,650; Corner near here, $2,500.  

 

 

 

 
(1920)* - View showing two men standing in front of the Sphinx Realty Company sales building located on Fairfax Avenue. The office was located across the street from where Fairfax High School stands today. Click HERE to see more examples of Programmatic Architecture.  

 

* * * * *

 

Fairfax High School

 
(1927)* - Aerial view looking southeast showing Fairfax High School located on the southeast corner of Fairfax and Melrose Avenues. The Sphinx Reality Office (previous photo) was located at 537 N. Fairfax Avenue which is across the street from the track in the above photo.  

 

Historical Notes

Originally, the land around Fairfax “was a swampy area or cienaga, the home of the duck and the mudhen - a veritable hunters’ paradise during the wet season of the year. As land became more valuable, the old cienega was drained and filled and a region suitable for residence created. Because of its swampy condition, the Board of Education was enabled to buy the twenty-eight acres on which this high school stands at a very low figure. When the time came to build our school, through a friend we were able to secure gratis thirty eight thousand loads of dirt. This raised the frontage on Melrose twenty - two inches, and so we are kept out of the water most of the time. Thus we have passed by slow transition from the jungle home of the lords of the forest to the more sheltered home of the Lords of Fairfax.” Written by the first Principal of Fairfax, R.G. Van Cleve - 1963 Yearbook. #*#*

 

 

 
(1931)* - Aerial view of Fairfax High School looking southwest. The tree-lined street running diagonally at top right is Fairfax Avenue. Melrose Ave runs east to west in the foreground. The school's "Rotunda" and auditorium can be seen at center of photo.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1924, Fairfax High School, named for Lord Fairfax of Colonial America, opened its doors. Rae G. Van Cleve, the first principal, wished to make Fairfax very “American and Democratic.” The Fairfax family (direct descendants of Lord Fairfax) in Virginia gave permission to use the coat of arms (Rampant Lion) and the motto “Fare Fax” (“Say and Do”).  The student body chose to name “Colonials.” In keeping with the Colonial backgrounds, Student Body officers bore colonial titles. The first boys’ and girls’ groups were called Lords and Ladies, and the student body president was called The Lord High Commissioner.

Fairfax was initially designed to be an Agricultural & Mechanical school emphasizing “practical” skills. With 28 Acres of campus, school programs included landscape gardening, forestry, architecture, agronomy and an arboretum. The Domestic Science unit supervised the cafeteria so that the “girls” would get practice as well as the theory of cooking and serving “food”. #*#*

 

 

 

(1926)#*#* - View of what appears to be two lily ponds in front of the Fairfax High School Rotunda and Auditorium. Both the Rotunda and Auditorium are the only two original buildings still standing today.

 

 

Historical Notes

Because the buildings were not earthquake-safe, the last year of the original campus was 1966. Brick by brick, the old structures came down, and completely new earthquake-safe building arose. New additions included a four-story administration and classroom facility, a physical education plant, an industrial arts complex and cafeteria. Students and faculty moved into the new building in 1968. Because of the unique beauty of the Rotunda and the Auditorium, a public campaign was successful in saving them, and the Auditorium was reinforced for seismic safety. Subsequently, the Fairfax Hall of Fame was established in the Rotunda. #*#*

 

 

 
(1931)* - Interior view of the auditorium at Fairfax High School.  

 

Historical Notes

The auditorium was dedicated in 1926 and later named the DeWitt Swan Auditorium, in honor of the first Boys’ Vice Principal. The first annual in 1926 bore the dedication, “Enter to learn; go forth to serve.” In 1927, the summer graduating class dedicated the sunken gardens and the fountain that was located in front of the old building. The same year, a Fine Arts building and a gymnasium were added to the campus. By the time, Fairfax High School (containing grades 7-12) was an established, prestigious element in the Fairfax Community. #^#*

 

 

 

(ca. 1931)^ - Students standing outside the Moorish style archway of the entrance to the Fairfax High School auditorium.

“Never  say die, say do” - The Fairfax Motto, “Fare Fac”, was the subject of a 1930 contest for the best slogan and motto depicting its meaning. More than 150 entries were submitted. The winning motto: “Noble in speech, honorable in deed”. “Let your words be wise and your actions likewise”.

 

 

 

 

 

Historical Notes

When the United States entered the war, hundreds of Fairfax students and alumni joined the military. The 1946 Colonial Yearbook was dedicated to those men and women, 96 of whom lost their lives. During the war years, Fairfax students sold $90,000 in war bonds, conducted numerous recycling material drives. Also in 1946, a Fairfax drama featured Ricardo Montalban and Jim Hardy, once a Lord High Commissioner starred at football. He continued his career at USC ad professionally with Rams, Chicago Cardinals and Detroit Lions. #*#*

Click HERE for a list of Fairfax High School Notable Alumni.

 

 

 

 
(1929)#*#* – The Fairfax Varsity Baseball Team of 1929. Yearbook referred to the team as "Heavyweight Baseball".  

 

 

 

 

 
(1929)#*#* – The Fairfax Varsity Basketball Team of 1929, at the time referred to as "Heavyweight Basketball".  

 

 

 

 
(2006)^* - Fairfax High School as it appears today, with Rotunda in the background. Photo by Gary Minnaert  

 

Historical Notes

Fairfax was the foreign language magnet school in the 1960s and 1970s, offering Hebrew, German, Chinese and Latin, among other languages. The Fairfax Magnet Center for Visual Arts opened in 1981 and remains the only visual arts magnet in the Los Angeles Unified School District.

In 1984, Dr. Virginia Uribe, an LAUSD teacher and counselor for 42 years, founded LAUSD’s Project 10 program, the first dropout prevention program specifically for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) students in the United States.

Organized by a group of local theater artists, the first Melrose Trading Post was held in 1998 in the school's parking lot. Regarded as most successful on-going fund-raising activity in the LAUSD, the flea market evolved into the Greenway Arts Alliance, the Friends of Fairfax and the Institute for the Arts at Fairfax High School, all which are of immense benefit to the school and students.

In Fall 2008, Fairfax High School was reconfigured from a comprehensive high school into a complex of five new small learning communities (SLCs) and the existing Fairfax Magnet Center for Visual Arts.^*

 

 

 

 

 

The coat of arms of Thomas Fairfax, 6th Baron Fairfax of Cameron (1693–1781), which became the emblem of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, USA.^*

 

Historical Notes

There is a connection between Fairfax High School, Gilmore Gas Co., and Thomas Fairfax - a 'Lion'.

Fairfax High School and Gilmore's first oil well are located in proximaty to each other and to Fairfax Avenue. It turns out that both Gilmore's logo and Fairfax's mascot is a 'Lion' - which is more than a coincidence.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fairfax High School's Mascot is a lion (left).

Gilmore Oil Company's logo was also a lion.

 

 

 

 

 
(1935)#^* – Night view of the Gilmore Service Station located at 7870 Beverly Boulevard, one block east of Fairfax Avenue. Note the lion on top of the illuminated Gilmore sign.  

 

Historical Notes

A.F. Gilmore and his son, Earl Bell (E.B.) turned their Gilmore Oil Company into the largest distributor of petroleum products in the Western U.S.

E. B. Gilmore appears to have invented the self-serve gas station. He created a “gas-a-teria” not far from Farmers Market where customers saved 5 cents per gallon by filling their own tanks. Those who preferred to have their gas pumped by “professionals” at the gas-a-teria got unusual service for a period of time when young ladies on roller skates would glide to the pumps to gas the cars up.^**#

Gilmore Gas Stations were eventually bought out by Mobil Oil Co.

Click HERE to see more Early Views of LA Gas Stations.

 

* * * * *

 

Temple Emanu-el

 
(ca. 1924)* - Exterior view of Temple Emanu-el, located at 639 S. Manhattan Place near Wilshire Boulevard.  

 

Historcial Notes

Designed by Russel and Alpaugh, Temple Emanu-el opened in 1923 and was occupied by the first "traditional reform" congregation. In 1929, the congregation was dissolved and the building was sold to become Christ Church.

In the late 1930s, the congregation of Temple Emanu-el reappeared in Westwood where it was located until a large temple was built at 8844 Burton Way in Beverly Hills. The home on the left was later demolished and the English style residence on the right later became the parsonage for Christ Church.*

 

 

 
(2015)#^** - Google street view showing Christ Church at 639 S. Manhattan Place (original location of Temple Emanu-el).  

 

* * * * *

 

 

Jonathan Club

 
(1924)* - Postcard view of the construction of the Jonathan Club building, with open steel frame. Date built: 1924. Architects: Schultze & Weaver. The new building is located at 545 S. Figueroa Street (NW corner of Figueroa and Sixth streets) where the Belleview Terrace Hotel once stood.
 

 

Historical Notes

In 1905, the club was headquartered in the monumental new Pacific Electric Building at 610 S. Main Street, which was the transportation hub for Southern California. According to the National Trust for Historic Preservation, "the top three floors of the building housed the exclusive and lavishly adorned Jonathan Club, one of the city’s most exclusive private clubs.

In 1924 a contract was let for what Southwest Builder called a "magnificent new home" for the club — its present brick-faced structure at 545 S. Figueroa Street, one block west of the Los Angeles Central Library.

In 1927 a second club, The Jonathan Beach Club, opened in Santa Monica at 850 Palisades Beach Road.^*

 

 

 
(ca. 1925)* - Exterior view of the Jonathan Club building at Figueroa and 6th Streets.  

 

Historical Notes

Established in 1894 as a political group Jonathan Club segued into a purely social club shortly after. The Club originally afforded an outlet through which members hosted political candidates, participated in political rallies and gathered for social activities. In 1895, Jonathan Club members determined that the social bond, and not the political one, was what interconnected its members. Jonathan Club was chartered as a “purely social club” by the State of California on September 23, 1895. +**

 

 

 
(ca. 1937)* – View across a parking lot showing the Jonathan Club in the background.  

 

Historical Notes

For most of its history, the club admitted only men, but since 1987 the club enjoys a diversified membership. When the Jonathan Club originated, only white, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant men were able to join. The club was alleged to have maintained discriminatory admission and access policies based on race and sex throughout the 20th century and into the 21st. The club admitted its first African-American and female members in 1987.^*

 

 

 
(1960)* - View looking northwest showing the Jonathan Club at 545 S. Figueroa Street. Dawson's Book Shop can be seen across the street.  

 

Historical Notes

The building was designed in a Beaux Arts version of early l6th Century Italian. Architects: Schultze & Weaver.*

 

 

 
(2015)#^^* – Google street view looking northwest toward the Jonathan Club from the intersection of Figueroa and 6th Street.  

 

Historical Notes

Membership in the club is by invitation. For most of its history, the club admitted only white men, but since 1987 it has also admitted women and minorities.^*

 

 

 

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

 

Support Our Cause

Water and Power Associates, Inc. is a non-profit, public service organization dedicated to preserving historical records and photos.  We are of the belief that this information should be made available to everyone—for free, without restriction, without limitation and without advertisements.

Help Support Our Cause! Any and all donations are greatly appreciated! Please support us by clicking the Donate button below:

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

For more Historical Los Angeles Views click one of the following:

 

 

For Other Historical Views click one of the following:

 

 

See Our Newest Sections:

 

 

To see how Water and Electricity shaped the history of Los Angeles click one of the following:

 

Water:

 

Power:

 

* * * * *

 

 

References and Credits

* LA Public Library Image Archive

^ USC Digital Archive

**DWP - LA Public Library Image Archive

*^Oviatt Library Digital Archives

^^ Daily Breeze: Los Angeles Motordome

*# LA Times: Hollywood Castles and Curious Cures; Olympic Auditorium History; The Ennis House; Bob Hope Patriotic Hall reopens in L.A.

#^^Calisphere Digital Archive

#**Themerica.org: Tam O'Shanter Inn

#++Mattconstruction.com: The Ennis House

#^*Huntington Digital Library Archive

#*^Pasadena Digital History

^*#California State Library Image Archive

^**UCLA Commencement

^++You_Are_Here.com

^+^Bob Hope Patriotic Hall Renovation

+**Jonathan Club History

+##RolandCommunications.com: Tam O'Shanter

++#Movie Palaces: Beverly Theater

^^*Early Downtown Los Angeles - Cory Stargel, Sarah Stargel

^^+Fightland: Fight Night at the Olympic

**#Noirish Los Angeles - forum.skyscraperpage.com; Elks Building - Horthos; Tam O'Shanter Inn; Garden Court Apartments; Angelus Temple; Coliseum Construction

**^Historical LA Theatres: The Philharmonic Auditorium; Downtown Theatres; Mason Theatre; Loew's State Theatre; Metropolitan/Paramount Theatre; Biltmore Theater

*^#Publicartinla.com - Bovard Hall

*##Curbed LA: California Broadway Trade Center

^^#CSULB - A Visit to Old LA: Hamburger Dept. Store

***Los Angeles Historic - Cultural Monuments Listing

*^*California Historical Landmarks Listing (Los Angeles)

*^^Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles: losangelespast.com

*++Getty Research Institute

^*^LA Street Names - LA Times

*^*^UCLA Libraries Special Collection: Pico House Courtyard

*^^*Pacific Eelecfric in San Pedro/Wilmington

^^**Flickr.com: Floyd Bariscale - Sunset Bowling Center

^^++Facebook.com - Pasadena Digital History

^^^*Cinema Treasures: Metropolitan/Paramount Theatre

^*^*Los Angeles Past: The Oldest Building in Los Angeles; Temple and Main Streets, Los Angeles - Then and Now

^*#*Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and Sports Arena

^**#FarmersMarketla.com

^*^#Facebook.com - Bizarre Los Angeles

***#Big Orange: Los Angeles Stock Exchange Building; Warner Bros; Saint Vincent de Paul Church

**^#Vintage Los Angeles - Facebook.com: Bernheimer Japanese Mansion; Masonic Temple

^#**A Brief Egyptian Theatre History

^##*Los Angeles Fire Department Historical Archive

#**^Pinterest - Mid Century Hollywood

#*#*Fairfax High School Home Page

#*#^Flickr.com: Wilshire Boulevard History

#^*#Los Angeles Conservancy: Junipero Serra State Office Building; The Ennis House; Bob Hope Patriotic Hall; Talmadge Apartments

#^#^Weird California: Los Angeles' Programmatic Architecture

*###The Story of Hollywood by Gregory Paul Williams

^^##Metropolitan Transportation Library and Archive: Hill St. Station; Subway Terminal Building

###*Sunset Bronson Studios: Hudson Pacific Properties

##^*Facebook.com: Classic Hollywood-Los Angeles-SFV

#^^*Google Maps

#***Flickr.com: Old Los Angeles Postcards

^***^Facebook.com: Garden of Allah Novels

^* Wikipedia: Leonis Adobe; Occidental College; Beverly Hills; Beverly Hills Hotel; Huntington Hotel; Bank of Italy; Van de Kamp's Holland Dutch Bakeries; Rose Bowl Stadium; Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum; Farmers and Merchants Bank of Los Angeles; Los Angeles Biltmore Hotel; Jonathan Club; Los Angeles Plaza Historic District; St. Vincent Church; The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; Park Plaza Hotel; YMCA; San Pedro; Venice; Subway Terminal Building; St. Vincent Hospital; Los Angeles Herald-Examiner; Cahuenga Branch Library; Foy House; Frederick Hastings Rindge House; Los Angeles High School; MGM; Breed Street Shul; Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County; Jonathan Temple; Highland Park Masonic Temple; Egyptian Theatre; Phineas Banning; Eagle Rock; Hollywood Masonic Temple; Sawtelle Veterans Home; Downtown, Los Angeles; Los Angeles Philharmonic; Subway Terminal Building; Hollywood Athletic Club; Pío Pico; Los Angeles Plaza Historic District; Jonathan Temple; Charles Clarke Chapman; Los Angeles Stock Exchange; Park Plaza Hotel (Los Angeles); Broadway Theater District: Lowe's State Theater; Obadiah J. Barker; Leslie Brand; Ben Bernie; Ambassador Hotel; Tam O'Shanter Inn; Garden Court Apartments; George L. Crenshaw; St. Vincent's Medical Center; Fairfax High School; Old Warner Bros. Studio; Hollyhock House; Hollywood Bowl; Angelus Temple; Aimee Semple McPherson; Vista Theatre; Grand Olympic Auditorium

 

 

< Back