Early Los Angeles Historical Buildings (1925 +)

Historical Photos of Early Los Angeles

 
(ca. 1927)* - View is looking northwest toward three powerhouses: Hall of Records, County Courthouse, and Hall of Justice. The construction site of the new Los Angeles City Hall can be seen in the forefront.  

 

Historical Notes

The Hall of Records was built in 1906 and demolished in 1973; the County Courthouse was built in 1891 and demolished in 1936; the Hall of Justice was built in 1922 by Allied Architects.*

 

 

 
(ca. 1925)* - L. A. County Courthouse viewed from the east, with the Hall of Records on the left.  

 

 

 

 
(1928)^^ - View of the Los Angeles County Courthouse standing in front of a yet to be completed City Hall.  

 

Historical Notes

Constructed in 1891, the Los Angeles County Courthouse stood where the city’s first high school, Los Angeles High School, had been located from 1873 until it moved to North Hill Street to allow for construction of the courthouse.

This building served as the courthouse until 1933, when it sustained damage in the Long Beach earthquake, and was demolished in 1936.*

 

 

 
(ca. 1932)* - Rear exterior view of the first Los Angeles County Courthouse (built 1891), also as known as the "Red Sandstone Courthouse," located at Spring and Temple. The new City Hall built in 1928 can be seen in the background. Note that the clock tower has been truncated (see previous photo).  

 

Historical Notes

This building served as the courthouse until 1933, when it sustained damage in the Long Beach earthquake, and was demolished in 1936. It appears that in the above 1932 photo the tower has been modified and shortened prior to the earthquake.*

 

 

 
(1933)* - Demolition of the L.A. County Courthouse at Broadway and Temple with the new City Hall standing in the background. The Hall of Records, built in 1911, appears on the right.  

 

Historical Notes

The statue of Stephen White can be seen in the foreground. It was moved to the corner of 1st and Hill outside the new courthouse, located at 1945 South Hill Street.*

Stephen M. White was elected Los Angeles County District Attorney in 1882, State Senator in 1886 and United States Senator in 1893. During his term in the United States Senate, Senator White’s most notable accomplishment was his successful leadership of the fight to create the Los Angeles Harbor in San Pedro as opposed to Santa Monica Bay, the site that was being advocated by powerful railroad interests.

In 1989, the statue was moved again to its present location, at the entrance to Cabrillo Beach off Stephen M. White Drive, overlooking the breakwater at the L.A. Harbor.^###

 

 

 
(1932)* - Officials presenting the old courthouse clock to the Los Angeles County Museum on March 2, 1932. Left to right are: Hugh A. Thatcher, P. F. Cogswell, R. W. Pridham, Henry W. Wright, James Hay, W. J. Martin, J. S. Dodge, Fred J. Beatty, W. A. Bryan (director of the museum), J. J. Hamilton, J. R. Quinn, J. Don Wahaffey, V. E. Hinshaw, F. E. Woodley, Dr. J. W. Bovard, and Mayor Frank Shaw.  

 

Historical Notes

The two bearded gentlemen standing front-center of the clock formerly mounted on the old Los Angeles County Courthouse are James Hay and William Martin.  Both were long time County employees who were supervisors before the newly-demolished courthouse was built. The clock has been preserved and can still be seen today at the Natural History Museum's California History Room.**^#

 

* * * * *

 

 

Federal Building and Post Office

 
(1931)**^ - Looking south on Main Street across Temple at the old Federal Building/Post Office and City Hall. Ornate 5-lamp streetlights can be seen in front of the Federal Building (Click HERE to see more in Early Streetlights of LA).  

 

Historical Notes

Constructed between 1906 and 1910, the five-story Romanesque Federal Building housed the post office, U.S. District Court, and various federal agencies, but it soon proved inadequate.  It was razed in 1937 to clear the site for the existing U.S. District Courthouse.*^

 

 

 

 
(1932)^*# - Postcard view of North Main Street as seen from the base of Los Angeles City Hall at Temple Street. The entire 300 block of N. Main Street, from Baker Block to the Ducommun Building, can be seen here. The old Federal Building and Post Office stands on the northwest corner.  

 

* * * * *

 

 

Hall of Records

 
(1939)^^ – View looking north on Spring Street toward Temple Street.  The Hall Of Records stands tall on the left, with the Hall of Justice in the distance (N/W corner of Spring and Temple). Photo by "Dick" Whittington  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1939)* - View showing the Hall of Records as seen from across the street through the arches of City Hall.  

 

Historical Notes

The Hall of Records was built in 1906. It is a large, light-colored building that splits into two sections halfway up to the top. Large rectangular windows line the perimeter of the building, and decorative molding can be seen near the top of the structure.*

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1945)* - The Hall of Records, next to which was the old County Courthouse. At this time it was a hospitality house for servicemen, giving free dormitory space, sponsored by B'Nai B'rith. The statue of Stephen M. White, originally in front of the courthouse, is seen on the left.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1946)* - Partial view of a panoramic photo showing several important buildings: City Hall, Hall of Records, and the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse; the Steven M. White statue can be seen on the lower left corner. The street seen on the right of the photo is Broadway.  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1950s)^^ - Close-up view of the beautiful Hall of Records Building.  

 

 

 

 
(1953)* - Spring Street side of the Hall of Records on February 3, 1953. Two men can be seen working on the roof.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1960)^*# - View of the Hall of Records with City Hall towering behind it. In the foreground stands the Stephen M. White Statue.  

 

Historical Notes

Stephen M. White was elected Los Angeles County District Attorney in 1882, State Senator in 1886 and United States Senator in 1893. During his term in the United States Senate, Senator White’s most notable accomplishment was his successful leadership of the fight to create the Los Angeles Harbor in San Pedro as opposed to Santa Monica Bay, the site that was being advocated by powerful railroad interests.

The Stephen M. White Statue, was originally located on the corner of Temple and Broadway on the lawn of the Hall of Records.  Today, the statue is located at the entrance to Cabrillo Beach off Stephen M. White Drive, overlooking the breakwater at the L.A. Harbor.^###

 

 

 
(1965)* - View of a single-post arm streetlight in front of the Hall of Records with City Hall in the background.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1960s)* - View shows Hall of Records as seen from the top of City Hall. The California State Building is on the left. The newly constructed Music Center and DWP Building (GOB) are seen in the background (Click HERE to see more in Construction of the GOB).  

 

Historical Notes

The California State Building (lower-left) was torn down in 1976.*

 

 

 

 

 

(1972)^^ - View of the old Los Angeles County Hall of Records as seen from the west portico of City Hall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
(1972)^^ – Night time view showing the Old Hall of Records building and the newer Criminal Courts building from across Broadway at the County Mall. The Hall of Records is at right and is a looming Gothic-style building with narrow rectangular windows around its entire perimeter. The larger Criminal Courts building is at left and is a rectangular building with rows of well-lit windows. The top of the City Hall tower is visible in the background at right. Note the beautiful decorative 5-bulb streetlight in the foreground. Click HERE to see more in Early Los Angeles Streetlights.  

 

 

 

 
(1972)^^ – Birdseye view of the old Los Angeles Hall of Records, looking south along Broadway. The old Gothic building with rows of rectangular windows and small columns on its walls stands in the foreground. A dark, pointed roof can be seen on top of the tower.  

 

Historical Notes

The Hall of Records Building was demolished in 1973 to make room for the City Mall.*

 

* * * * *

 

Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum

 
(1984)* - Close-up view of the torch at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum during the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games. Los Angeles also hosted the 1932 Olympic Games.  

 

 

 

 
(1932)* - Crowds have filled the Olympic Stadium (the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum) for the 1932 Olympic Games; the Los Angeles Swimming Stadium, another Olympic venue, can be seen in the upper left. Location: South end of University of Southern California, 3911 S Figueroa, Los Angeles. Click HERE to see more in Early Views of USC.  

 

Historical Notes

The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum originally was completed in 1923 as a memorial to veterans of World War I (rededicated to veterans of all wars in 1968). It was partially redesigned and enlarged for the 1932 Olympic Games. Both designs were by architects John and Donald B. Parkinson. It has witnessed some of the more important sports, political, and historical events in Southern California.*^

 

 
(1932)^^#* - A wide view of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum during the opening ceremonies of the 10th Olympic Games in Los Angeles. The stadium is full of spectators who are watching the ceremony on the field, where the athletes are divided by country.   

 

Historical Notes

The 1932 Summer Olympics was celebrated in 1932 in Los Angeles. No other cities made a bid to host these Olympics. Held during the worldwide Great Depression, many nations and athletes were unable to pay for the trip to Los Angeles. Fewer than half the participants of the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam returned to compete in 1932. Even U.S. President Herbert Hoover skipped the event.*^

 

1932 Olympic Highlights

An Olympic Village was built for the first time, in Baldwin Hills, occupied by the male athletes. Female athletes were housed at the Chapman Park Hotel on Wilshire Boulevard.

The victory podium was used for the first time.

The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum was known in 1932 as Olympic Stadium.

Tenth Street, a major thoroughfare in Los Angeles, was renamed Olympic Boulevard in honor of the Games of the Tenth Olympiad.

Babe Didrikson won two gold medals in the javelin and the hurdles event. She also competed in a jump-off for a silver in the high jump. Her technique in the jump-off was ruled illegal, leaving Didrikson with second place.

In field hockey, only three nations took part. The host nation lost both matches, 1-24 to India and 2-9 to Japan, but still won a bronze medal.

Poland's Stanisława Walasiewicz won the gold medal in the women's 100 m; she would also win the silver medal in the event four years later. After her death in 1980, it was discovered that she was intersex and would have been ineligible to participate.*^

 

 

 

 
(1932)* - Players representing the United States and Canada shown during a lacrosse match at the Olympic Stadium (the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum).  

 

Historical Notes

When the games of the XXIIIrd Olympiad began here on July 28, 1984, the coliseum became the first stadium in the world to host the Olympic Games twice.*^

 

 

 
(1932) - Canada's Duncan McNaughton wins the high jump with a leap of 1.97m (6.46 ft).  

 

Historical Notes

The colonnade on the east end of the Coliseum is composed of a triumphal arch, flanked by 14 smaller arches and a central torch, rising 107 feet above street level. The torch, which was built for the tenth Olympiad, is constructed of concrete and capped with a bronze fixture that was kept illuminated throughout the games.*

Today, the world high jump record is held by Javier Sotomayor of Cuba at 2.45m (8.5 ft). Click HERE to see Men's high jump world record progression.*^

 

 

 
(1932)* - Exterior view of the colonnade and torch at the front end of the Coliseum.  

 

Historical Notes

The now-signature torch was added for the Olympics during the 1930 renovation. It is still being lit during the fourth quarters of USC football games.*^

 

 

 
(1932)**^- Final score: USC 13 - Notre Dame 0: USC shut out Notre Dame on its way to a second consecutive consensus national title, matching Notre Dame's feat in 1929 and 1930.  

 

Historical Notes

From 1928-1932, USC and Notre Dame combined to win the national title five straight years, with USC winning in 1928, 1931 and 1932, and Notre Dame winning in 1929 and 1930.

Notre Dame and USC have traditionally been counted among the elite programs in college football, with each school having won 11 national championships and 7 Heisman Trophies. This football rivalry, which began in 1926, is considered one of the most important in college football, and is often called the greatest intersectional rivalry in college football.*^

Click HERE to see more in Early Views of USC

 

 

 
(1930s)^***^ - The Los Angeles Coliseum welcomes the Shriners with torch fully lit.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1936)^^ - Fireworks light the night sky over the Coliseum. Photo by Dick Whittington.  

 

Historical Notes

The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum has been designated California Historical Landmark No. 960 (Click HERE to see more in California Historical Landmarks in LA).

 

Super Bowl I

 
(1967)^^* – The Packer’s Jim Weatherwax, No. 73, tries to block a Chiefs kick at Super Bowl I on January, 15, 1967.  

 

Historical Notes

The Green Bay Packers defeat the Kansas City Chiefs 35-10 in the first Super Bowl, played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. At halftime, the Chiefs were only behind 14-10, but the Packers took over in the third quarter.^^*

Super Bowl I was the only Super Bowl in history that was not a sellout in terms of attendance, despite a TV blackout in the Los Angeles area (at the time, NFL games were required to be blacked out in the market of origin, even if it was a neutral site game and if it sold out). Of the 94,000-seat capacity in the Coliseum, 33,000 went unsold.  Days before the game, local newspapers printed editorials about what they viewed as a then-exorbitant $12 price for tickets, and wrote stories about how to pirate the signal from TV stations outside the Los Angeles area.*^

 

 

Click HERE to see more Early Views showing the Construction of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum

 

* * * * *

 

 

Pasadena City Hall

 
(1930)* - Scenic view of Pasadena City Hall and its surrounding area, with mountains in the background. City hall is located at 100 North Garfield Avenue in Pasadena. Date built: 1920-1922. Designed by Julian Morgan in Mediterranean style.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1923, the people of Pasadena approved a bond measure issuing $3.5 million towards the development of a civic center. City Hall was to be the central element of this center. The San Francisco architecture firm of Bakewell and Brown designed City Hall, which has elements of both Mediterranean Revival Style and Spanish Colonial Revival Style architecture.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1930)* - Exterior view of Pasadena City Hall. This is a photograph of a Chris Siemer painting created for a display by the L.A. Chamber of Commerce.  

 

Historical Notes

Pasadena City Hall was completed on December 27, 1927 at a cost of $1.3 million. It measures 361 feet by 242 feet, and rises 6 stories. There are over 235 rooms and passageways that cover over 170,000 square feet. The defining dome, located above the west entrance, is 26 feet tall and 54 feet in diameter. On July 28, 1980 the Civic Center District, including Pasadena City Hall, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.*^

 

 

Click HERE to see more in Early Views of Pasadena

 

* * * * *

 

Mountain States Building (Yucca Vine Tower)

 
(ca. 1929)^^ - View of the Art Deco style Mountain States Building, located at 6305 Yucca Street. The sign on the building to the left reads: "PIGGLY WIGGLY Will Open Here Soon".  

 

Historical Notes

Designed by Architect H. L. Gogerty, the Art Deco style Mountain States Life Insurance Building was built in 1928 on the northwest corner of Yucca and Vine with bas-relief emphasizing the lines of the windows and gaurdians leaning on their swords at the roofline.

 

 

 
(1929)* - Panoramic view of Hollywood and its surrounding areas showing the Mountain States Building on the N/W corner Vine and Yucca. The Hollywood Playhouse is in the lower left (1735 N. Vine Street) and the Mulholland Dam is at upper right in the Hollywood Hills.  

 

 

 

 
(1933)* - Looking towards the Mountain States Building (now Yucca Vine Tower). The building to the left is a Piggly Wiggly market and the Mulholland Dam is visible in the upper center.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1949)#*## – View looking north near the intersection of Yucca St and Ivar Ave (lower-left) showing the Hollywood Hills and Hollywood Sign in the background with the Mountain States Building (now Yucca Vine Tower) at right.   

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1955)#*## – Aerial view looking northwest showing the Mountain States Building standing in the shadows of the newly completed Capitol Records Building across the street.  

 

 

 

 
(2015)^*^*^ - View showing the Yucca Vina Tower (previously Mountain States Building) located at 6305 Yucca Street.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 2015)^*^*^ – Detailed view of bas-relief sculptures on front face of the Yucca Vine Tower.  

 

 

 

 
(2016)##^^ – Google Earth view showing the Yucca Vine Tower as it appears today with the Capitol Records Building at lower-right and the Hollywood Freeway at top.  

 

* * * * *

 

 

Farmers Market

 
(ca. 1934)* - A couple rows of cars are parked on a dirt lot with some parking lines marked. A building has a sign "Supermalts 10 cents" where Farmers Market is located in a section of low buildings. In the background another sign reads "GILMORE" which was the sign on the face of the Gilmore Stadium.  

 

Historical Notes

Farmers Market started when a dozen nearby farmers would park their trucks on a field to sell their fresh produce to local residents. The cost to rent the space was fifty cents per day.

In 1870, when they moved west from Illinois, Arthur Fremont (A.F.) Gilmore and his partner bought two sizable farms, one of which was the 256-acre dairy farm at the corner of 3rd Street and Fairfax Ave. Gilmore gained control when the partnership dissolved later.

Gilmore Oil Company replaced the dairy farm when oil was discovered under the land during drilling for water in 1905. Earl Bell (E.B.) Gilmore, son of A.F. Gilmore, took over the family business. The younger Gilmore started midget car racing and brought professional football to Los Angeles. He built Gilmore Field for the Hollywood Stars baseball team, which was owned by Bing Crosby, Barbara Stanwyck, and Cecil B. DeMille.*^

 

 

 
(1934)^^* - Opening day of the Farmers Market at 3rd and Fairfax on July 14, 1934.  

 

Historical Notes

Farmers Market was created in July 1934 by Roger Dahlhjelm, a businessman, and Fred Beck, an advertising copywriter. They asked the owners of “Gilmore Island,” the former dairy farm at 3rd & Fairfax, if they could invite local farmers to park trucks on vacant Gilmore land to sell fresh produce to local shoppers. #**

 

 

 
(1934)^^* – Carts full of fresh produce draw the attention of visitors on opening day of Farmers Market – July 11, 1934.  

 

Historical Notes

A July 11, 1934, Los Angeles Times article announces the Farmers Market opening:

Like New Orleans and Baltimore, where the system is more than a century old, Los Angeles is going to have a farmers’ public market.

The market will open Saturday morning (July 14) on a five-acre lot on the northeast corner of Third street and Fairfax avenue.

Endorsed by the Farm Bureau and other allied groups, the market is planned as an outlet for the produce of the farmer who owns but a few acres of land and whose output in crops is insufficient to permit help to sell to the large wholesalers.

Only farmers who actually grow their own crops will be permitted to occupy stalls at the market. Each farmer agrees to pick fresh each morning the various vegetables or fruits he plans to sell the same day. Under regulations imposed by Roger Dahlhjelm, director of the project, no farmer will be permitted to sell left-over supplies.

For the privilege of occupying the stalls the farmers pay a nominal fee. They may take the stalls by the day, week or month. Surrounding the stalls is free parking space for more than 500 automobiles.

Among the products to be placed on sale are included eggs, poultry, flowers, vegetables, fruits, honey, nuts and similar articles. … ^^*

 

 

 

 
(1930s)**^ - Aerial view looking northeast showing a busy Farmers Market with a full parking lot. Fairfax and 3rd Street is at lower-right. Gilmore Stadium is in the upper-left and a Gilmore Service Station stands at lower-center.  

 

Historical Notes

Originally called the “Farmers Public Market,” the concept was so popular that within months, permanent stalls were erected to provide the farmers with a more convenient way to provide their produce. The “Public” was dropped from the name almost immediately.#**

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1940)* - Panoramic view showing rows of cars are parked around and near the buildings of the Farmers Market.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 
(1942)#^*^ – Postcard view showing two women, pulling straw weaved baskets carts, shopping near the fruit stands at Farmers Market.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1950s)#* - Two women posing in front of a fruit stand at Farmers Market.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1945)^^#^ - View of the northeast corner of 3rd Street and Fairfax showing how Farmers Market looked in the 1940's. The Gilmore Stadium can be seen at the upper-left of the photo. The distinctive windmill sign stands adjacent to the American Flag. The white building next to the windmill is the original Du-Par's Restaurant.  

 

Historical Notes

The first Du-par's was founded in 1938 at Farmers Market by James Dunn and Edward Parsons, who combined their surnames to create the restaurant's name. The chain was purchased in 2004 by an investor group led by W.W. "Biff" Naylor, the son of noted California restaurateur Tiny Naylor. Du-par's expanded in 2009 to include several locations from the bankrupt Bakers Square chain.*^

 

 

 

 
(1949)#* - View looking east showing make-shift stores set up in the Farmers Market parking lot. The Gilmore Stadium can be seen in the background.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1949)#*## - View of a Foster and Kleiser billboard advertising Farmers Market:  “2,000 People a Day Eat at the Farmers Market”  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1940s)^^ - View showing the Farmers Market Windmill towering above the buildings on a clear day with the Hollywood Hills in the distance.  

 

Historical Notes

The Windmill was Farmers Marktet's icon from the time it opened in 1934 until 1952, when it was replaced by a Clock Tower. #**

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1950)#^* – View looking northwest showing parking lot and shops at Farmers Market with the Hollywood Hills in the background. Richard Wojcik Collection.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1952)+^^ – View showing a full parking lot at Farmers Market with its iconic clock tower seen in the background.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1960s)^*^# – View looking at the northeast corner of Fairfax and 3rd Street showing the Farmers Market parking lot, Dupar’s Restaurant, and CBS Television City in the background. Click HERE to see contemporary view.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1969)**^# - View of Farmers Market looking northeast with CBS Television City in the background. The Farmers Market Clock Tower stands at right.  

Historical Notes

When CBS Television City opened next door in 1952, the Farmers Market provided those working or visiting that television studio a convenient place to shop or eat.

In the 1970s The Country Kitchen, a restaurant owned and operated by Jack and Eileen Smith (located next to the still-operating Du-par's), was popular with stars and their fans alike. Mickey Rooney could sometimes be found working behind the counter. Other customers included Elvis Presley, Regis Philbin, Rip Taylor, Mae West, Johnny Carson and even The Shah of Iran on his visit.*^

 

 

 

 
(1965)#^* – View showing two people walking adjacent to a parking lot with the Farmers Market Clock Tower standing tall behind them.  

 

Historical Notes

The Clock Tower, which overlooks Farmers Market Plaza and the main entrances to the Market, has welcomed visitors to the Market for more than half a century (it was first erected in 1952). #**

 

 

 

(2009)^^* – The iconic Farmers Market Clock Tower stands in the foreground with the Grove Tower seen in the distance.

 

Historical Notes

When The Grove at Farmers Market was constructed (2002) and the Market added the Plaza and North Market, the clock tower was carefully taken down, fully restored and erected in its new home with a brand new clock works.#**

 

* * * * *

 

Gilmore Stadium and Gilmore Field

 
(1934)* - Aerial view of Gilmore Stadium shows a packed crowd in attendance, October 15, 1934.  

 

Historical Notes

Built by Earl Gilmore, Gilmore Stadium opened in May 1934 and was demolished in 1952. The first professional football team in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Bulldogs played at Gilmore. Before the neighboring Gilmore Field opened in 1939, the Hollywood Stars used Gilmore Stadium for their home games.*

 

 

 
(ca. 1934)#** - View showing a football game being played at Gilmore Stadium.  

 

Historical Notes

Gilmore Stadium, built in 1934, just before Farmers Market opened, was home field for the L.A. Bulldogs, the city’s first professional football team. The stadium also hosted rodeos, boxing matches, swim exhibitions and motorcycle races.

 

 

 
(1938)^^ - View looking north showing the Gilmore Stadium near the corner of Fairfax and Beverly (upper left). Farmers Market is in the foreground close to the intersection of Fairfax and 3rd Street (lower left). A new baseball field, Gilmore Field, will be built within a year of this photo in the empty lot at center-right of photo.  

 

 

 

 
(1949)**^# - View looking southeast of Gilmore Stadium (center) and Gilmore Field (top). The intersection of Fairfax Avenue and Beverly Boulevard is in the lower left of the photo. Herbert's Drive-In Restaurant can be seen on the southeast corner. Farmers Market is in the upper right.  

 

Historical Notes

Gilmore Field opened on May 2, 1939 and was the home of the Pacific Coast League baseball team the Hollywood Stars until September 5, 1957.*^

 

 

 
(1948)**^ – Aerial view of the area bounded by Beverly, Fairfax, 3rd Street, and Gardner Avenue.  The photo has been annotated and shows the location of Gilmore Stadium, Gilmore Field, Farmers Market, Gilmore Drive-in and the Pan Pacific Auditorium.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1952 CBS Television City was built facing Beverly Boulevard on the site of Gilmore Stadium. In 1958 Gilmore Field was also demolished and the studio expanded on the grounds where baseball was once played.**^#

 

 

 
(1940s)* - View showing Gilmore Field (aka Hollywood Ball Park), located near the present-day Farmer's Market in the Fairfax District. This was home field for the Hollywood Stars. The parking lot appears full and there are clusters of people walking out of the main entrance.  

 

 

 

 
(1949)*++ – View of a nearly empty Gilmore Field before start of a game. Photo by Julius Shulman  

 

 

 

 
(1949)*++ – Pre-game view from edge of the grandstands at Gilmore Field. Photo by Julius Shulman  

 

 

 

 
(1951)* - Major league All-Stars managed by Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker clashed at Gilmore Field, with the big-leaguers beating the Hollywood Stars, 4-3, for charity. Fans thrilled to Gus Zernial's two homers. This view is looking southeast toward Park La Brea Towers which can be seen in the distance.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1958, Gilmore Field was demolished to make room for an expansion by CBS Television City on the grounds where baseball was once played.

 

 

Click HERE to see more in Baseball in Early L.A.

 

* * * * *

 

 

Early Gas Stations

 
(1930s)^*# – View of the Art-Deco style Sherman Oaks Service Station located at 15362 Ventura Blvd, southeast corner of Ventura Blvd. and Sherman Oaks Ave.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1930s)* - View of Specification Motoroil System Service Station on the southwest corner of Washington and 8th (?).  

 

Historical Notes

Apparently the "Specification Motoroil System" was a national chain that did not last too long (no records).**^

 

 

 
(ca. 1930s)**^ - Closer View of the Art Deco designed Specification System Service Station on Washington Blvd.  

 

 

 

 
(1930s)^^ – View showing the Texaco Service Station located across the street from the Cole House and later theI. Magnin store, southeast corner of Wilshire and New Hampshire Avenue.  Note the Green T Café on the left.  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1930s)^*^# – View of a Standard Oil Station located on the corner of Beverly and La Brea. Pope and Burton Architects occupy part of the building behind the station.  

 

Historical Notes

The above photo is undated, but possibly late 1920s to early 1930s, since Pope and Burton Architects didn't open their Los Angeles office until 1927.^*^#

 

 

 

 
(1928)* - View of service station with gas pumps on either side located at 1800 1/2 Long Beach Boulevard, South Gate. The signs advertise General Gasoline, Richfield Gasoline, Gilmore Gasoline, Hood Tires, United States Tires and Pennzoil. On the right, an attendant is climbing a ladder.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1930)* - One of the first gas stations on a lot on Imperial St., Los Angeles, shown in the 1930's. It was the workplace for a group of men from the Mexican American Community.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1930)^*^# - The Umbrella Service Station, General Petroleum Gas, once located at 830 South La Brea in Inglewood. By 1946, the gas station was gone and a retail strip center was built on the site.  

 

 

 

 
(1931)**^ - 'Full Service' at Union Oil Compnay service station.  

 

 

Click HERE to see more Early Views of LA Gas Stations

 

* * * * *

 

Fox Stadium Theatre

 
(1930)^^ - View of the Fox Stadium Theatre located at 8906 W. Pico Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

Opened in 1930, The Fox Stadium Theatre was built for and operated by Fox West Coast Theatres.  The rear of the auditorium was with stadium-style seating, a rarity at the time. About the only other early L.A. Theatre with such an arrangement was downtown's Rialto Theatre.  In the 40s, lots of theatres, especially by Fox West Coast (such as the Fox Inglewood), utilized the format.^**#

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1930s)^^# – Front view of the Fox Stadium Theatre located on Pico Boulevard in Beverly Hills. Now playing: Spawn of the North with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.  

 

Historical Notes

The building architects were Robert O. Boller and Carl Boller, Boller Bros.  The Boller Bros. worked all over the country on projects including the Kimo in Albuquerque and the Missouri Theatre in St. Joseph.

Carl Boller moved to Los Angeles in 1921 and in addition to the Fox Stadium, also designed the Fontana Theatre (now a performing arts venue) and the Corona Theatre, now a church. His most opulent theatre in the area was the Tracy Theatre in Long Beach.^**#

 

 

 
(ca. 1930)^^ – Interior view of the Fox Stadium Theater with auditorium seating (capacity: 1172). Three sections of seats can be seen at center. They make a slight decline as they continue down to the lighted stage. Bright ornate lights hang from the detailed ceiling. Donated by Jim Stone.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1964 the theatre was converted into a synagogue, the B’nai David-Judea.

The building was rehabilitated in 2004.^**#

 

* * * * *

 

Sunset Clock Market

 
(ca. 1930)**^# - View of the Sunset Clock Market at the northeast corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Hamilton Drive, one block east of La Cienega Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

Built in 1929, this C. W. Wilson and Sons designed L-shaped structure once housed a mom-and-pop market and one apartment. This last remaining example of a Wilshire drive-up market currently serves as a Porsche-Audi dealership.*^^#

 

 

 
(ca. 1930)^*# - Close-up view showing the clock tower above Sunset Clock Drive-up Market.  

 

Historical Notes

Southern California was the principal center for the development of drive-in markets between the mid-1910s to the early 1940s.

 

 

 
(ca. 1930)^*# - Street view showing the gas station at the Sunset Clock Drive-up Market.  

 

Historical Notes

Click HERE to see more Views of Early Gas Stations.

 

 

 
(1932)++^ – View looking north showing the Sunset Clock Market on the northeast corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Hamilton Drive. Note the new signboard on top of the clock tower.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1937)**^# - The Sunset Clock Market at 8423 Wilshire Boulevard at S. Hamilton, in it's first incarnation as a Plymouth car dealership.  

 

* * * * *

 

De Soto Car Dealership

 
(1930s)#*## – View of the De Soto Car Dealership located at 611 S. La Brea Ave.  

 

Historical Notes

Built in the 1920s and designed by Julia Morgan, the building was the home of De Soto Car Dealership for many years. Today, it is occupied by Diamond Foam and Fabric.

The De Soto automobile was manufactured and marketed by the now-defunct De Soto Division of the Chrysler Corporation from 1928 to 1961. The De Soto logo featured a stylized image of Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto. The De Soto marque was officially dropped November 30, 1960, with over two million vehicles built since 1928.*^

 

* * * * *

 

Heinsbergen Building

 
(ca. 1930)^*# - Exterior view of the Heinsbergen Building located at 7415 Beverly Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

The castle-like building was built in 1928 for noted muralist Anthony Heinsbergen, and designed by Curlett & Beelman in a Late Gothic Revival and Romanesque style. The building's notable features include the prominent cylindrical tower, a Renaissance-style mural in the tower arch, and the detailed friezes displaying artisans at work.

At least 11 buildings designed by architect Claud Beelman have been listed on the National Register. The building was constructed while Heinsbergen was employed to create murals for Los Angeles City Hall, and he had his building on Beverly Boulevard built using bricks from the old city hall.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1930)^*# - View of the castle-like Heinsbergen Building designed by noted architect Claude Beelman.  

 

Historical Notes

The building served as the office for Heinsbergen's mural-painting business for more than 50 years. Heinsbergen's company, called Heinsbergen Decorating Company or A.T. Heinsbergen & Company, employed 185 artist painters, and created murals for movie palaces and many important buildings, including the U.S. Department of Commerce Building in Washington, D.C. and the Sir Francis Drake Hotel in San Francisco.

In Los Angeles, Heinsbergen's murals can still be seen at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, the Beverly-Wilshire Hotel, Los Angeles City Hall, the Wiltern Theatre, the ceiling of El Portal de La Paz Mausoleum at Rose Hills Memorial Park in Whittier and the Park Plaza Hotel.

After Heinsbergen died, his children continued to operate the business at the Beverly Boulevard building, in many cases working to restore murals that their father had designed decades earlier.*^

In 1984, the Heinsbergen Building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. That same year it was also dedicated LA Historic-Cultural Monument No. 275 (Click HERE to see complete listing).

 

 

 
(2013)*^ - Front view of the Heinsbergen Building as it appears today, 7415 Beverly Boulevard, north side of Beverly Boulevard between Vista Street and Mattel Avenue.  

 

Historical Notes

The building was later converted to retail space and was occupied by "Lloyd Klein Couture", the West Coast store for New York fashion designer Lloyd Klein. Klein's customers include Nicole Kidman, Renée Zellweger, Gwen Stefani and Kate Beckinsale. Though Klein's name was prominently featured on the building, the name "Heinsbergen Decorating" is still seen above the door at the base of the tower.

After 12 years at the Beverly Hills location on Robertson, the "Claire Pettibone Flagship Salon" has moved and now occupies the Heinsbergen Building and is officially open as of July 10, 2013. Claire Pettibone is an American fashion designer based in Los Angeles. She is prominently known for her couture wedding gowns, intimate apparel, and lifestyle collection. Pettibone began designing wedding and red carpet gowns for clients including Cameron Diaz, Courteney Cox Arquette, Leona Lewis, Elisabeth Moss and Missi Pyle. Most recently, in 2012, the designer's "Sky Between the Branches" gown was worn by Priscilla Chan in her wedding to Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg.*^

 

* * * * *

 

Fairfax Theatre

 
(ca. 1930)* - Exterior view of the Fairfax Theatre, northwest corner of Fairfax Avenue and Beverly Boulevard. Sign on top of building reads 'ANY SEAT 30 CENTS ANYTIME'  

 

Historical Notes

The Fairfax Theatre opened on March 26, 1930, and was a 1,504 seat single screen, designed for movies and vaudeville.^^#

 

 

 
(1930)* – View showing premier night at the Fairfax Theatre.  There is a long line in front of the theatre and adjacent Bronson Radio Co. store waiting to see the new release of “Troopers 3”.  Marquee reads "Cast in Person - Rex Lease, Dorothy Gulliver, and Slim Summerville"  

 

 

 

 
(1930)^^# - Exterior view of the Fairfax Theater located on the northwest corner of Fairfax Avenue and Beverly Blvd.  

 

Historical Notes

The Fairfax was operated for decades by Fox West Coast Theatres and, later, Mann Theatres when they acquired the remnants of the circuit. Mann got out around 1979 and the house became an independent.

The Fairfax occasionally ran live shows. It was the venue for the LA production of "Oh, Calcutta" in 1969.

In late 1981 it was tri-plexed. The front half of the theatre was left intact with two little theatres in the rear of the main floor. A hallway down the middle (between the two rear auditoria) provided an entrance to the main theatre.

Cineplex Odeon took over in the operation of the building in the April 11, 1985.^**#

 

 

 
(1930)^*# – Close-up view of the Fairfax Theatre located at 7907 Beverly Blvd.  Marquis reads:  All Talking – Color - “Sally” - Starring Marilyn Miller and Joe E. Brown.  

 

Historical Notes

Laemmle Theatres purchased and reopened the former Loews Cineplex discount house on November 2, 2001 after an interior makeover with new seats and new carpet added. Extra wide seating was also added which reduced the cinema’s capacity to one screen with 400 seats and two others with 200 seats. The two smaller auditoriums were carved from the original auditorium’s rear, leaving the original screen and organ grilles intact within the largest auditorium.

Laemmle, which has always attempted to preserve the original historic elements of its acquisitions, retained the theater’s free-standing ticket window. The ticket booth is one of the last in the West Hollywood/Hollywood area.^^#

 

 

 
(2010)^**# - View of the Regency Fairfax Cinemas shortly after it closed in February, 2010. Photo by Bill Counter.  

 

Historical Notes

The Fairfax Theatre was closed by Laemmle Theatres in September 2006. However it was taken over by Regency Theatres and operated as a second run art house. It was closed in late-February 2010, just short of its 80th birthday.

In 2013, a City committee approved plans for a 71 apartment complex to be built, preserving the theatre’s facade, marquee and terrazzo floor at the entry, but resulting in the loss of the rest of the theatre,^^#

 

* * * * *

 

Laurel Theatre

 
(1946)+^^ - View showing the Gala Opening of the Laurel Theatre, located at 8056 Beverly Boulevard near the intersection of Beverly and N. Laurel Avenue. ALL SEATS 20 Cents  

 

Historical Notes

The building still stands today. Although the facade has been modified, the auditorium has been in use for the better part of four decades as an active synagogue (Congregation Beth Israel).

 

 

 
(2011)##^^^ – Google street view showing Congregation Beth Israel Synagogue at 8056 Beverly Boulevard.  

 

* * * * *

 

Sunfax Mart

 
(1933)* - Exterior view of the Sunfax Mart, a food market, located on the corner of Sunset Boulevard and Fairfax Avenue, hence the name Sunfax. The market includes a Van de Kamp's Bakery on the corner, where the miniature windwill is seen mounted on the building.  

 

Historical Notes

Sunset Boulevard was dedicated in 1888. Earlier called Bellevue Street--and with some small sections called Short, Bread and Marchessault streets (after Mayor Damien Marchessault)--it started on U.S. Sen. Cornelius Cole's hill in what is now Hollywood, which afforded a fine view of the sunset over the Pacific. By 1937, 11 streets in Hollywood were named after the Cole family.^*^

Fairfax Avenue was named for Lord Fairfax of Colonial America. Some parts of it were previously called Crescent Drive.

 

* * * * *

 

Sunset Tower

 
(1930s)^*^# – View looking through a Eucalyptus Tree down toward the Sunset Tower. The Art Deco apartment building is located at 8358 Sunset Boulevard.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1930s)**^# - View looking northwest of the Sunset Tower Apartment Building in the Hollywood Hills.  

 

Historical Notes

Designed in 1929 by architect Leland A. Bryant, opened in 1931, the Sunset Tower  is considered one of the finest examples of Art Deco architecture in the Los Angeles area. In its early years, it was the residence of many Hollywood celebrities, including John Wayne and Howard Hughes.*^

 

 

 
(1933)^^ - Sunset Tower Apartments at 8358 Sunset Boulevard as seen from a gas station across the street.  

 

Historical Notes

Originally operated as a luxury apartment hotel, it was one of the first high-rise reinforced concrete buildings in California. When it was completed in August 1931 at a cost of $750,000, the Los Angeles Times reported: "What is described to be the tallest apartment-house in Los Angeles County, rising 15 stories or 195 feet, was completed last week at Kings Road and Sunset Boulevard by W.I. Moffett, general contractor, for E.M. Fleming, owner." *^

 

 

 
(n.d.)* - An Art Deco masterpiece, the Sunset Tower Apartments, located at 8358 Sunset Boulevard.    

 

Historical Notes

In 1933, the Los Angeles Times ran an article about the trend toward luxurious penthouse apartments in the city and noted that Sunset Tower boasted the city's highest penthouse: "It is the highest in the city and due to the location of the fifteen-story structure that supports it, its tenants live on a level with the tower of the Los Angeles City Hall. Imagine the view!" John Wayne, Howard Hughes, Frank Sinatra, Jerry Buss and novelist James Wohl lived in the penthouse at different times, and Hughes reportedly also rented some of the lower apartments for his girlfriends or mistresses. Other former residents include Clark Gable, Errol Flynn, Marilyn Monroe, Michael Caine, Quincy Jones, Roger Moore, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Billie Burke, Joseph Schenck, Paulette Goddard, Zasu Pitts, George Stevens, Preston Sturges, and Carol Kane.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1933)^*# - Close-up view of the Sunset Tower Apartments showing the details of the bas-relief near the top of the building.  

 

Historical Notes

The building is decorated with plaster friezes of plants, animals, zeppelins, mythological creatures and Adam and Eve.*^

 

 

 
(1940s)**^ – View looking up at the Sunset Tower Apartments from the De Longpre Avenue side of the building.  

 

 

 

 
(1955)***^ - Full view of the Sunset Tower Apartments showing the Art Deco design details, especially at the top of the building.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1979)* - Looking out upon West Hollywood from a balcony at the Sunset Hyatt Hotel (later Andaz West Hollywood), showing the neighborhood and the iconic Sunset Tower; Downtown Los Angeles is partially visible through the haze on the right.  

 

Historical Notes

The Sunset Tower Apartment building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

After a period of decline in the early 1980s, the building was renovated and has been operated as a luxury hotel under the names The St. James's Club, The Argyle, and most recently the Sunset Tower Hotel.*^

 

 

 

 
(2005)*^ – View showing the Sunset Tower Hotel located at 8358 Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood.  

 

Historical Notes

The building was saved from deterioration and possible demolition when it was purchased in 1985 from architect David Lawrence Gray, FAIA by Peter de Savary who promised to "lovingly restore" the building to its former glory by spending $25 million to convert the building into the first American branch of his luxury hotel chain, the St. James's Club.

The Lancaster Group purchased the hotel from de Savary in 1992, renaming it the Argyle.

In 2004, Jeff Klein purchased the hotel.  Klein hired designer Paul Fortune to renovate the hotel, adding more modern amenities, and restored its original name. *^

 

* * * * *

 

Roosevelt Hotel

 
(ca. 1929)**^ - Street view looking west showing the Roosevelt Hotel located at 7000 Hollywood Boulevard. Cars are parked in front of the one-story shops along the south side of Hollywood Boulevard. The blade sign of Grauman's Chinese Theatre can be seen on the right edge of photo.  

 

Historical Notes

The historic Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel was designed by Architects Fisher, Lake & Traver in Spanish Colonial Revival style.  Named after United States president Theodore Roosevelt, the hotel was financed by a group including Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford and Louis B. Mayer.*^

 

 

 
(1927)^*^# – View looking south on Orange Drive toward Hollywood Boulevard where The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel stands tall. The hotel is located at 7000 Hollywood Boulevard. Click HERE for contemporary view.  

 

Historical Notes

The hotel first opened its doors on May 15, 1927. It cost $2.5 million ($33.9 million in today's money or dollars) to complete this twelve-story building, which holds 300 rooms and suites.*^

 

 

 
(1930s)* - Close-up night view of the Roosevelt Hotel located on the southwest corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Orange Drive.  

 

Historical Notes

The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel hosted the presentation of the 1st Academy Awards in 1929 inside its Blossom ballroom. Later ceremonies were much larger than this banquet for 250, so there was never an attempt to host the awards at the hotel a third time.*^

 

 

 

 
(1935)+^^ - Film fans stand on the roof of the Roosevelt Hotel and watch a big Hollywood movie premiere take place across the road at Grauman’s Chinese.  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1930s)#^#^ - View of the Roosevelt Hotel located on the southwest corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Orange Drive as seen from the courtyard of Grauman's Chinese Theatre.  

 

Historical Notes

Marilyn Monroe was a resident at the Hollywood Roosevelt for two years when her modeling career took off. Her first magazine shoot was taken in the Roosevelt.

Clark Gable and Carole Lombard paid five dollars a night for their penthouse; it is now named the Gable & Lombard Penthouse. There is also a Marilyn Monroe Suite at the hotel.*^

 

 

 
(1949)#^*^ – Daytime view of the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel.  Caption Reads:  In the center of the movie and radio-television broadcasting studios.  Hollywood, California.  

 

Historical Notes

There have been many rumors of hauntings at this hotel. Some involve celebrities, such as Marilyn Monroe, Montgomery Clift, and Errol Flynn.  Others involve a little girl in a blue dress.  There have also been reports of cold spots, photographic "orbs", and mysterious phone calls to the hotel operator.*^

 

 

 
(2016)^^^^- View looking across Hollywood Boulevard toward the Roosevelt Hotel as seen from the front of the Chinese Theatre.  

 

 

 

 

 
(2016)+++ - View looking up toward the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel with mature palm tree in the foreground.  

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

N/W Corner of Hollywood and Vine

 
(1929)**^ – Panoramic view showing the northwest corner of Hollywood and Vine. Signboard on the one-story building reads: Universal Pictures - Carl Laemmle Presents  

 

Historical Notes

In 1915, at the northwest corner of Hollywood and Vine Street sat the home of early Hollywood pioneer and land speculator George Hoover. Hoover was part of the L.A. Pacific Boulevard and Development Company. He was also president of Hollywood's first bank - the Bank of Hollywood and was one of the builders of the fashionable Hollywood Hotel (located at Hollywood and Highland). 

In 1925 German immigrant and movie maker Carl Laemmle purchased the property from George Hoover for $350,000. Laemmle was president of Universal Pictures Corporation and had a very successful movie studio in the San Fernando Valley. #^**

Carl Laemmle’s vision was to build a 900 seat theatre and office tower on this corner.  However, the depression thwarted his plan so he opened the CoCo Tree Café and used the top of the building to advertise his Universal Pictures.

 

 

 
(1936)**^ - View showing some filming in front of the CoCo Tree Café on the northwest corner of Hollywood and Vine.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1932, Carl Laemmle opened the one story CoCo Tree Café on this corner. It was designed by Richard Nuetra.

 

 

 
(1947)#^* - View looking at the intersection of Hollywood and Vine showing the Melody Lane Restaurant on the northwest corner.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1940, restaurateur Sidney Hoedemaker of the Pig 'n' Whistle - Melody Lane chain, leased the northwest corner of Hollywood and Vine and transformed it into a Melody Lane Restaurant. He hired coffee shop modern architect Wayne McAllister and S. Charles Lee to do the design. #^**

 

 

 
(ca. 1961)^###^ – View of Hody’s Coffee Shop, N/W corner of Hollywood and Vine, with the Guaranty Building and Hotel Knickerbocker seen in the background. Next door to Hody's to the west was a Harris & Frank Clothiers and an Arthur Murray School of Dance studio.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1949, Sidney Hoedemaker founded the Hody's Restaurant chain and, in 1955, Hody's restaurant group signed a 20 year lease for the property on the northwest corner of Hollywood and Vine. Hoedemaker had it remodeled extensively.

Hody's was a family restaurant. Kid's would get a kid's clown menu that could be worn on their face. By 1969 there were 8 Hody restaurants in Southern California. #^**

 

 

 
(1986)^*# - View looking north from the southwest corner of Hollywood and Vine showing Howard Johnson's across the street and the Capitol Records Building in the distance.   

 

Historical Notes

Howard Johnson's Coffee Shop occupied the northwest corner of Hollywood and Vine from 1971 until the mid-1980s. It was opened 24/7 and served breakfast all day!

 

 
(1987)^*# - The Brown Derby Restaurant, located on the northwest corner of Hollywood and Vine.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1987, a fire destroyed the Hollywood Brown Derby located at 1628 N. Vine Street (half a block south of Hollywood Boulevard). It was then that the Brown Derby moved to the N/W corner of Hollywood and Vine, but stayed only for a short time. Over the years the site would become a slew of struggling retail and nightclubs such as; Premiere, Jack's Sugar Shack, the Deep, and finally the Basque nightclub. In April 2008 the building went up in flames and the lot has been empty since. #^**

There were four Brown Derby restaurants: Beverly Hills, Los Feliz, Wilshire, and Hollywood.

 

 

 
(2015)##^^^ – Google street view showing the northwest corner of Hollywood and Vine as it appears today - an empty lot since 2008.  

 

* * * * *

 

LA County General Hospital

 
(ca. 1930)* - Aerial view of East Los Angeles and Boyle Heights neighborhoods revealing the construction site of the Los Angeles County General Hospital (center).  

 

Historical Notes

In 1930, the cornerstone for the current Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center was laid and the hospital was completed in 1933.  The building was designed by architects: Edward Bergstrom, Myron Hunt, Perpont Davis, Sumner P. Hunt, William Richards. *#*#

 

 

 
(1931)#^* - Close-up view showing the Los Angeles County General Hospital under construction on State Street in East L. A.  

 

Historical Notes

The original county hospital was built in 1878 and became affiliated with the University of Southern California School of Medicine in 1885.  It then consisted of 100 beds, 47 patients, 6 staff members, and a $4,000 budget.*#*#

 

 

 
(1932)*^^^ - Opening ceremonies in front of the newly built Art Deco style Los Angeles County General Hospital located at 1200 N. State Street in East L.A.  

 

Historical Notes

The twenty-story central concrete and steel unit of the hospital has remained as the landmark in Northeastern Los Angeles. Its basic form is PWA monumental Moderne -- with more than a slight hint of influence of Bertram G Goodhue. Its design is sculptural volumes and heavy arches slightly suggests early Romanesque.^^*#

 

 

 
(n.d.)^^*# - High relief sculptures on a grand scale adorns the major entrance from the West.  

 

Historical Notes

“The doctors of the staff give their services without charge in order that no citizens of the county shall be deprived of health or life for lack of such care and services.” -- Inscription above the entrance to L.A. County-USC Medical Center.

 

 

 
(ca. 1930s)#^* - Ground view showing the profile of the beautiful Los Angeles County Hospital with palm trees seen at right.  

 

Historical Notes

Beginning in 1975, the ABC soap opera General Hospital began using the facility for its exterior shots, appearing primarily in the show's opening sequence, where it still remains. The lower floors of the show's Los Angeles studio are modeled after the actual hospital's emergency room entrance, allowing for the show to shoot outdoor scenes in their own parking lot.*^

In 1995, the hospital had more square feet than the Pentagon, 9,000 employees and an annual budget of $803 million.*#*#

 

 

 
(1933)**^^ - Los Angeles General Hospital’s soaring, sunlit operating theater and its towering bank of windows, ready to play host to scenes of medical drama and scientific progress.  

 

 

 

 
(1932)* - Aerial view of East Los Angeles and Boyle Heights neighborhoods revealing the Art Deco Los Angeles County General Hospital (center), surrounded by a multitude of residential dwellings. Photo dated: June 15, 1932.
 

 

Historical Notes

The west entrance, which is still partially preserved, has an axial walk-way and garden leading up to the building.

 

 

 
(1939)^^ - Close-up view of the Los Angeles County Hospital on State Street.  

 

Historical Notes

On November 8, 2008, transfer of all inpatients from Women's and Children's Hospital and the historic white 800-bed hospital on the hill to a new, $1 billion, state-of-the-art 600-bed replacement hospital just south of it was completed, and the new hospital was fully opened for service. Designed by a joint venture of HOK and LBL Associated Architects, the new hospital consists of three linked buildings: a clinic tower, a diagnostic and treatment tower, and an inpatient tower. It was built because the old building did not meet new earthquake and fire codes enacted in the aftermath of the 1994 Northridge earthquake. The old building remains open for offices and support services only. The new facility has a larger number of intensive care beds to handle patients in the aftermath of disasters.*^

 

* * * * *

 

Tom Bradley E. S. & H Charter Magnet (previously 38th Street School)

 
(1927)^^ – View showing 38th Street School located on Dublin Avenue between 38th and 39th streets.  

 

Historical Notes

Built in 1926, the 38th Street School had a student population of 314.  In 1993, it was renamed 39th Street School and was physically expanded to cover the whole block between 38th and 39th.^+  

 

 

 
(2015)##^^^ - Google Street View showing the Tom Bradley Environmental Science and Humanities Charter Magnet located at 3875 Dublin Avenue.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1999, the school was renamed Tom Bradley Environmental Science and Humanities Charter Magnet to honor the outstanding late mayor who made many contributions to the LAUSD school system, City, and community. He also lived in the residential area near the shcool.^+  

 

* * * * *

 

Leimert Theatre

 
(1933)^*# - Exterior view of the Leimert Theater at 3341 W. 43rd Pl. in Los Angeles.  The theater still stands today in Leimert Park as the Vision Theater.  

 

Historical Notes

The Leimert Theatre opened in 1931 and was a joint venture between neighborhood developer Walter H. Leimert and Howard Hughes.

It was designed to be operated by the neighborhood theatre chain Hughes-Franklin Theatres. The circuit was run by Hughes and Harold B. Franklin, a former president of Fox West Coast Theatres. Among other theatres, they also operated the Studio, later the Holly Theatre, in Hollywood.

The surrounding neighborhood was designed to resemble a European village. The design was partially by the Olmsted Brothers, a landscape architecture firm run by step brothers John Charles Olmsted and Fredrick Law Olmsted, Jr.  Their father, Fredrick Law Olmstead Sr., was the creator of New York's Central Park.

The Hughes-Franklin circuit was a short-lived entity and soon the Leimert Theatre was being operated by Fox West Coast. The last film to run in the theatre was "Bonnie and Clyde" in 1968. ^**#

 

 

 
(1933)^*# - Interior view of the Leimert Theater located at 3341 W. 43rd Place. The ceiling murals by Anthony Heinsbergen were lit by cove lighting in concentric rings.  

 

Historical Notes

Stiles O. Clements of Morgan, Walls & Clements designed the building. The foundation was built to support a later 13 story addition, which never materialized. The auditorium, as can be seen even from the exterior, is a huge oval rotunda.^**#

 

 

 
(1970s)*^ - View showing the Watchtower Church, formerly the Leimert Theatre. In 1990 it became the Vision Theatre.  

 

Historical Notes

In the 1977 the theatre became a Jehovah’s Witness chapel and was known as the Watchtower. The Witnesses, in their renovation fever, destroyed many of the Art Deco decorative elements of the building. But they perhaps get credit for saving the building.

Actress Marla Gibbs bought the theater in 1990 and renamed it the Vision Theatre, intending to make it a venue for African-American movies, live theater and dance productions. The 1992 LA riots and economic recession following the riots hit the area hard and the property was in foreclosure in 1997.^**#

The City purchased the building in 1999. There has been only occasional use of the theatre as a live performance venue since that time. Performances take place on an added thrust stage as the venue was not constructed with a stage house.^**#

 

* * * * *

 

 

Max Factor Building

 
(ca. 1930s)^*# - Exterior view of the Max Factor Building, the "Jewel Box of the Cosmetic World", located at 1666 North Highland Avenue, in Hollywood.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1928 Max Factor purchased the four-story Max Factor Building, formerly the Hollywood Fire Safe Building, known as the Jewel Box of the Cosmetic World and began manufacturing his world-famous make up on the upper floors while transforming the ground floor into a grand salon where fashionable women and celebrities came to see and be seen, as well as to purchase his make-up.^

Famed architect S. Charles Lee designed the building in the so-called Hollywood regency art deco style. Lee was celebrated for his design of many of the grand motion picture theaters in Los Angeles as well as hotels and other signature buildings in the city and elsewhere in California and in Hollywood. #*^#

 

 

 
(ca. 1939)* - Two women are seen walking in front of the Max Factor Make Up Studio located on Highland Avenue just south of Hollywood Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1935, Max Factor opened the Max Factor Make Up Studio adjacent to his main four-story building. It was fondly nicknamed The Pink Powder Puff.*

Max Factor & Company was founded during 1909 by Maksymilian Faktorowicz, Max Factor, a Polish-Jewish cosmetician from Poland. After immigrating to the United States in 1904 Max Factor moved his family and business to Los Angeles, seeing an opportunity to provide made-to-order wigs and theatrical make-up to the growing film industry. Besides selling his own make-up products he soon became the West Coast distributor of both Leichner and Minor, two leading theatrical make-up manufacturers.*^

 

 

 
(1930s)##^ – View of a fashionably dressed woman walking in front of the Max Factor Building on the east side of Highland Avenue.  The Hollywood First National Bank stands tall in the background on the northeast corner of Highland Avenue and Hollywood Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

By 1914 Max Factor had perfected the first cosmetic specifically created for motion picture use — a thinner greasepaint in cream form, packaged in a jar, and created in 12 precisely-graduated shades. Unlike theatrical cosmetics, it would not crack or cake. It was worn for the first time by actor Henry B. Walthall, who served as the model for screen tests.

In 1925 the company received its biggest order to date when it had to complete a rush order to supply 600 gallons of light olive makeup to the set of the movie "Ben-Hur" to ensure that the skin color of the extras used in filming undertaken in America would match that of the darker skinned Italian extras in the scenes filmed in Italy.*^

 

 

 
(2010)**^ -  View of the landmark Max Factor Building, currently The Hollywood History Musum, located at 1666 N. Highland Avenue.  

 

Historical Notes

Declared L.A. Historic Cultural Monument No. 593 on April 26, 1994, this building eventually became The Max Factor Museum of Beauty. It closed its doors in 1996 but reopened in 2002 as The Hollywood History Museum. It is located at 1666 N. Highland Ave. just one half-block south of Hollywood Boulevard.*

Click HERE to see complete listing of L.A. Historic Cultural Monuments.

 

 

Click HERE to see more Early Views of Hollywood (1920 +)

 

* * * * *

 

Griffith Observatory

 
(1933)* - A man sits on a steel girder on the half-completed dome of the Griffith Observatory as other construction workers are on scaffolds on the building behind the dome. Construction rubble is scattered around the Observatory's foundation. Photo dated: 1933.  

 

Historical Notes

3,015 acres of land surrounding the observatory was donated to the City of Los Angeles by Colonel Griffith J. Griffith on December 16, 1896. In his will Griffith donated funds to build an observatory, exhibit hall, and planetarium on the donated land.

Construction began on June 20, 1933, using a design developed by architect John C. Austin based on preliminary sketches by Russell W. Porter. *

 

 

 

 
(1934)* - The construction of Griffith Observatory in the final phases. The exterior domes can be seen here.  

 

Historical Notes

Griffith Observatory was shaped not only by the minds of scientists but also by the times in which it was built. A major earthquake in Long Beach in March 1933 -- just as construction plans were being finalized -- led the architects to abandon the planned terra cotta exterior in favor of strengthening and thickening the building's concrete walls. Lower-than-usual prices caused by the Great Depression enabled the selection of the finest materials of the day for the interior walls, floors, and finishes, making the building both beautiful and durable.^***

 

 

 
(1934)* - The Griffith Observatory and the main building, the planetarium, are seen from below and from the back. A hiking path has been cut into the hillside below, on the south side, but brush still covers much of the area.  

 

Historical Notes

Griffith Observatory's unique architecture and setting, compelling programmatic offerings, and cinematic exposure have made it one of the most famous and visited landmarks in Southern California.^***

 

 

 
(ca. 1934)^*# - Profile view of the Griffith Park Observatory on the Hollywood hillside.  

 

Historical Notes

Caltech and Mount Wilson engineers drew up plans for the Observatory's fundamental exhibits: a Foucault Pendulum, a 38-foot-diameter model of a section of the Moon sculpted by artist Roger Hayward, and a "three-in-one" coelostat (three tracking mirrors on one mount to feed three separate solar telescopes) so that the public could study the Sun in the Hall of Science. The Trust judged the 12-inch Zeiss refracting telescope as the best commercially available instrument of its kind and selected it to be used as the public telescope. A 75-foot-wide theater --one of the largest in the world -- was designed to hold a Zeiss planetarium projector.

The planetarium had been invented in 1923, four years after Griffith's death, and his family agreed with the Trustees that it more fully honored his intent than the originally planned cinematic theater. The Observatory's planetarium was the third to be completed in the United States.^***

 

 

 
(1935)^*# - The iconic Griffith Observatory stands out in its brilliance as it is illuminated in the Hollywood Hills.  

 

Historical Notes

The observatory and accompanying exhibits were opened to the public on May 14, 1935. On that day, the Griffith Trust transferred ownership of the building to the City of Los Angeles; the City's Department of Recreation and Parks (called the Department of Parks at the time of the transfer) has operated the facility ever since.^***

 

 

 
(1930s)* - View of the Griffith Park observatory and planetarium with the Astronomers Monument. Several people are on the walks, coming and going to the planetarium (the central section of the building). The domes on the left and the right ends of the building contain the triple-beam solar telescope and the 12-inch Zeiss Refracting Telescope respectively.  

 

Historical Notes

The Astronomers Monument on the front lawn of Griffith Observatory pays homage to six of the greatest astronomers: Hipparchus, Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler, Newton, and Herschel. Artist Archibald Garner designed the sculpture commissioned by the Public Works of Art Project (PWAP). Garner worked with five other artists (each responsible for sculpting one astronomer) including George Stanley responsible for the "Oscar" statuette. The monument was dedicated November 25, 1934, six months before the Observatory opened.*

 

 

 
(ca. 1935)* - Three men gaze at the Foucault pendulum in the foyer of the Griffith Observatory. The pendulum demonstrates the rotation of the earth.  

 

Historical Notes

The first exhibit visitors encountered was the Foucault pendulum, which was designed to demonstrate the rotation of the Earth.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1935)* - View of the 12-inch telescope located within one of the two smaller domes at the end of the Griffith Observatory.  

 

Historical Notes

The genesis of Griffith Observatory's public telescope occurred when Griffith J. Griffith was invited to visit to Mount Wilson Observatory, then home to the world's largest operating telescope, the 60-inch reflector. While there, he was given the opportunity to view a celestial wonder through the telescope. Profoundly moved by the experience, Griffith seized on the idea of constructing a public observatory with a telescope that could be used by all residents of Los Angeles. He specified in his will that the telescope was to be "at least 12-inches in diameter" and "complete in all its details" and was to be located "high and above the Hall of Science." In 1931, the Griffith Trust ordered the telescope from the Carl Zeiss Company of Jena, Germany; the $14,900 spent on the instrument was the first purchase of material for Griffith Observatory.^**^

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1936)^*^** - The 12-inch Zeiss refracting telescope with dome opened for viewing.  

 

Historical Notes

Since opening in 1935, more than seven million people have put an eye to Griffith Observatory's original 12-inch Zeiss refracting telescope. More people have looked though it than any other telescope in the world.^**^

 

 

 

 
(1938)* – Aerial view showing the symmetry of the beautiful art-deco Griffith Observatory.  

 

 

 

 
(1935)* - Aerial view of the top and front view of the observatory/planetarium. The Astronomers Monument, designed by Archibald Garner, is out front on the well manicured front lawn, and some parking with cars is seen around the back side (probably for the staff). Behind the planetarium are the tree covered hills and farther back the beginnings of buildings and homes in Hollywood.  

 

 

 

 
(1935)* – View looking out through the front doors of the Griffith Observatory with two women appearing to be walking out. The Astronomers Monument stands tall behind them and Mt. Hollywood peak can be seen in the distance.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1930s)**^ – View of the Griffith Park Observatory on a clear day with the Los Angeles cityscape in the background.  Several cars are parked in front of the observatory.  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1943)* - Seen from a nearby (trail to Mt. Hollywood) hillside is the front of the planetarium, the lawn and parking lot, and road leading down from the Griffith Observatory. Los Feliz, East Hollywood, Hollywood and greater Los Angeles is visible in the distance.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1940)* - Outline of Griffith Observatory is silhouetted against the brilliance of Hollywood lights. Night view taken from Mt. Hollywood.  

 

Historical Notes

Since the observatory opened in 1935, admission has been free, in accordance with Griffith's will.*^

 

 

 

 
(1976)* - A young man sits at one of many view points at the Griffith Observatory at sunset time.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1976, the Griffith Observatory was designated Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 168 (Click HERE for complete listing).

 

 

 
(2017)^x^ - Early morning stroll through the Griffith Observatory after it was refurbished.  Photo courtesy of Kristal Alaimo Moritz‎  

 

Historical Notes

In 2002, the observatory closed for renovation and a major expansion of exhibit space. It reopened to the public on November 3, 2006, retaining its art deco exterior. The $93 million renovation, paid largely by a public bond issue, restored the building, as well as replaced the aging planetarium dome.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 2006)* - Panoramic view of Los Feliz, Hollywood and downtown Los Angeles, taken from outside of the Samuel Oschin Planetarium at Griffith Observatory.  

 

Historical Notes

For over 70 years, the planetarium has been used to present astronomical programs overseen by a lecturer. The view reveals a variety of buildings, homes and the numerous skyscrapers located in Downtown L.A. in the background. This photograph was taken not long after the observatory reopened on November 3, 2006, after having been closed since 2002 for an extensive renovation. John C. Austin and Frederick M. Ashley were the original architects of the Art Deco structure.*

 

 

 
(2008)#* – View looking northeast showing the Griffith Observatory with the snow-capped San Gabriel Mountains acting as a backdrop.  

 

 

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

For more Historical Los Angeles Views click one of the following:

 

 

For Other Historical Views click one of the following:

 

 

See Our Newest Sections:

 

 

To see how Water and Electricity shaped the history of Los Angeles click one of the following:

 

Water:

 

 

Power:

 

* * * * *

 

 

References and Credits

* LA Public Library Image Archive

^ LADWP Historic Archive

** DWP - LA Public Library Image Archive

^* Oviatt Library Digital Archives

^^USC Digital Library

^+LAUSD.net

*# Blogdownton: State Building

#^Historic Hotels of Los Angeles and Hollywood (USC - California Historic Society)

#*Flickr.com: Michael Ryerson

**#UCLA Library Digital Archive

^**Flickr:: Disney Hall: Jeffrey Bass; Steel and Sky: alanek4; Staples Center: jaubele1; Wilson Building - paulsp23; Bas Relief - LA Times Building

^#^Los Angeles Conservancy: LA Stock Exchange Building; Downtown Jewelry Exchange/Warner Bros. Theatre

*#*Project Restore: Van Nuys City Hall

#**FarmersMarketla.com

#*^Historylosangelesblogspot.com: Hattem's Supermaket

#^*Facebook.com - Vintage LA: Hollywood Palladium; Wilshire Blvd - Westlake Theater; Canter's Deli (Interior); Cantor's Deli (Exterior); LA County General Hospital; Profile View County General Hospital; Schwabs Sunset; Shrine Auditorium: Farmers Market; Capitol Records Building; Hollywood and Vine

#^^LAtaco.com: Zep Diner

*^#Historical Los Angeles Theatres: Downtown Theatres; Mayan Theatre; Warner Bros.Theatre

^^*LA Times: Easter at the Hollywood Bowl; Drive-ins Roared into LA Country; Little Joe's Restaurant; Zanja Madre; Blossom Plaza; Sunkist Bldg.; Demolition of Old Times Bldg; Alhambra Airport Dedication; Farmers Market; Hollywood American Legion Post 43; Farmers Market Opening; Super Bowl I

^*#California State Library Image Archive

*#^historylosangeles.blogspot.com: Ice Skating in Westwood

*##LA Weekly - Warner Bros. Theatre

##*Mr. Cecil's California Ribs

##^Pinterest.com: Favorite Places and Spaces

#*#Everything2.com: Hattem's Market

#^#Deadhistoryproject.com: Silent Movie Theater

^##This Moderne Life: Simon's Drive-In

***Los Angeles Historic - Cultural Monuments Listing

*^*California Historical Landmarks Listing (Los Angeles)

^*^LA Street Names - LA Times

^#*Historic Hotels of Los Angeles and Hollywood (USC - California Historic Society): St. Charles Hotel

^^^The Drive-In, the Supermarket, and the Transformation of Commercial Space in Los Angeles, Richard Longstreth

*^^Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles: losangelespast.com; Bob's Airmail Service Station

*++Getty Research Institute

++^California Historical Society Digital Library

+^^Facebook.com:  Garden of Allah Novels – Martin Turnbull

+++Stuff.co.nz: Roosevelt Hotel

++#Water and Power Associates

*#*#I Love Los Angeles But...: Sontag Drug Store

****Gramfeed.com: Los Angeles City Hall

^***Griffithobservatory.org: History of Griffith Observatory

^**^Griffith Observatory: laparks.org

^^**Flickr.com - Floyd B. Bariscale Photostream; Villa Madama

^^*^Tumblr.com: DWP Office Building

^^^*Flickr.com - Debit72: Staples Center; Jerical Cat: Mullen Bluett Bldg.

*^^^Television City History

^^^^Wehadfacesthen.tumblr.com

*^*^Beverly HIlls Patch: Beveryl Hills City Hall; A New City Hall for a New City

**^^Big Orange Landmarks: Los Angeles City Hall; Automobile Club Building; Drive-ins Roared into LA Country; Sinai Temple/Korean Philadelphia Presbyterian Church

**##Spring Arcade Building - panoramio.com

^^#*Huntington Digital Library Archive

^^##Mercantile Arcade Building - laconservancy.com

^##^Mattconstruction.com: USC Mudd Hall

^^#^Facebook.com - Great Photos from Los Angeles's Past:: Farmers Market 

^^^#Publicartinla.com: Building on the USC Campus

***^Pinterest.com: Bertrand Lacheze; La La Land: Canter's/Pup o' Tail; Thanks for the Memories/Drive-In 1950s; Drive-in Speakers; Aerial Westwood - Rancho Park

*^^*Los Angeles: Portrait of a City

^*^*LAist.com: The Pan Pacific Auditorium; Century Plaza Hotel; Dorothy Chandler Pavilion

^*^^Los Angeles Past: Temple and Main Streets, Los Angeles - Then and Now

^**#Los Angeles Movie Palaces: Leimert / Vision Theatre; Fairfax Theatre; Fox Stadium Theatre

^*^#Facebook.com - Bizzare Los Angeles

^#^#A Sanctuary for Women, Even Today - nytimes.com

*#^#An Architectural Guidebook to Los Angeles

*###World Travel List: Not Just a Hot Dog

^###Examiner.com - Taix French Restaurant

*^^^Art Deco in Mono

*##*Schaber's Cafeteria

*##^gogonotes.blogspot.com: Cool Places On La Brea

^##*LAheyday.blogspot.com: American Storage Building

*^##Archive Grid: Silverwoods

*#*#Los Angeles Almanac: LA County-USC Medical Center

#**#On Bunker Hill: Touraine

*^*#Sketchup.google.com: Dominguez-Wilshire Building

*^^#Curating the City: Sunset Clock Market

*#**Elvis Blog

^*#*Library of Congress Image Archive

##*#Peacelovelunges.com: El Coyote Cafe

^#^*Elcoyotecafe.com: El Coyote Mexican Cafe History

^^*#Flickr.com: El Coyote Neon Sign; LA County General Hospital; General Hospital Bas Relief

**#*Miraclemilela.com

**^*MTA Transportation and Research Library Archives

^#*#Eyes of a Generation: RCA Camera

*#**Historic Hotels of Los Angeles and Hollywood (USC - California Historic Society); U.S. Hotel

*#*^LA County Sheriff Department: Hall of Justice 

*#^^Philippes The Original Home Page

*^#*Franklinavenue.blogspot.com: Mullen and Bluett Bldg.

**#^LAPL-El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument Photo Archive

*^#^Paradiseleased.com: Lighting Up the Coast

^*#^Art Deco Architecture: LA Radio City

^*##The Broadway Hollywood

^#**Facebook.com - City of Angels: Hotel Somerville; Brown Derby

^#*^LA Times: Amestory Building

##**MartinTurnbull: Cross Roads of the World; Earl Carroll Theater; Mirror Theatre

##^^NY Times: Freddy Martin

##*^Hollywood Walk of Fame Historic Buildings

##^*blogdowntown 6/24/10 Article - 45 Years Ago: New Water and Power Headquarters Dedicated

#^^^Radio City Hollywood

#*#*Facebook.com - Los Angeles Theatres: Warner Bros. Downtown

*#^*MartinTurnbull.com: Hollywood-Western Building; Nickabob Restaurant; Biff's Coffee Shop

^#^^Twentieth Century Architecture and Interiors: The May Co. Wilshire Building

^#^^Flickr.com: Michael Ryerson

#^#*Flickr.com - Army.Arch: Bankers Building

#^*^Calisphere: University of California Image Archive

#*#^Groceteria.com: A&P History

###*The Go Go's: Local Coffee Shops and Diners

###^Pinterest.com: Los Angeles

##^#Facebook.com: San Fernando Valley Relics

####Southern Pacific Coast Daylight

#^#^Pinterest.com: Old Hollywood

#*^^Hollywood Chamber of Commerce History

#***Canter's Deli: cantersdeli.com

#**^Starlinetours.com: TLC Chinese Theatre

#*^*MusicCenter.org

#^**The Go Go's: N/W Corner of Hollywood and Vine

#^*#Pinterest.com: Old Hollywood

#*^#TheHollywoodMuseum.com: Max Factor Building

#*##Facebook.com: Classic Hollywood-Los Angeles-SFV

***#Pinterest.com: Vintage Los Angeles; Los Angeles - Carey Vance; Art Deco - Sears Building; Art Deco - Val D'Amour Apartments; Drive-in Speakers; Mayan Theatre

^###The Historical Marker Database: Stephen M. White Statue

#^##Timeout.com: Ricardo Montalban Theatre

**^^^Facebook.com - San Pedro's Original Website, San Pedro.com

^^***Pinterest: Diners

***^^GOB Dedication Program

^*^*^You-Are-Here.com: Los Angeles Architecture

^^*^*Los Angeles Magazine: Capitol Records Building Christmas

*^#^*Port of Los Angeles: portoflosangeles.corg

^*#*^Whiteargyle.com: Tommy's Burgers

^###^Flickr.com: timetravelnow

*^*^*Wehadfacesthen.tumblr.com

*^*^^Facebook.com: West San Fernando Valley Then And Now

*^^^*Vintage Everyday

*#*#*WesClark.com: Burbankers Remember

^***^Campus Destinations: UCLA Kerckhoff Hall

#***#Grauman's Chinese.org

#^^^#Times Quotidian: Original Spanish Kitchen

#**^#Historic Hollywood Theatres: Grauman's Chinese Theatre

##^^^Google Street View

**^#Vintage Los Angeles: Facebook.com; Sunset Clock Market 1; Sunset Clock Market 2; Gilmore Stadium and Field; County Courthouse Clock; Castle of Enchantment; Palladium; Sunset Tower Apartments; Capitol Records; Pico Drive-In; Vons - Van de Kamps; Farmers Market; Town House; Earl Carroll Revolving Stage; Philipe The Original

**^Noirish Los Angeles - forum.skyscraperpage.com; Yucca Vine Tower; Westwood-Life Magazine; Elvis at Knickerbocker Hotel; Century Plaza Hotel; Pan Pacific Auditorium; Hall of Justice; Bob's Airmail Service Station; California Federal Plaza Building; Specification Motoroil System; NBC Hollywood Radio City; Cross Roads of the World; Wich Stand; Gilmore Aerial; Zephyr Room and Brown Derby Postcard View; Barlow Medical Library Interior; Max Factor Building; Alhambra Airport; Griffith Observatory; May Co. Building; Hollywood and Vine

^^# Cinema Treasures: Academy Theatre; The Gilmore Drive-In; Mayan Theatre; Vogue Theater; Bay Theater; Pico Drive-In Theater; Fairfax Theater; Pantages Theater; Ricardo Montabaln Theater; Warner Bros.Theatre; Esquire Theatre; Fox Stadium Theatre

*^ Wikipedia - Leonis. Adobe; Carthay Circle Theatre; Drive-in Theatres; Staples Center; Dorothy Chandler Pavilion; Hollywood Bowl; Los Angeles City Hall; Los Angeles Central Library; Ralphs; Hollywood Pacific Theatre; Hollywood Pantages Theatre; Pellissier Building and Wiltern Theatre; Adamson House and Adohr; Greek Theatre; Farmers Market; Hollywood Palladium; FOX Theatre, Westwood Village; Union Station; Westwood Village; Brown Derby; Big Boy Restaurant; CBS Television City; Spring Street Financial District; Gaylord Wilshire; Mark Taper Forum; Van de Kamp's Holland Dutch Bakeries; Van de Kamp Bakery Building; Egyptian Theatre; Phineas Banning; Safeway Markets; Janss Investment Company; Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena; University of Southern California; Janss Investment Company; Westwood; Bullocks Wilshire; Terminal Annex; US Courthouse - Los Angeles; Shrine Auditorium; Walt Disney Concert Hall; LA Times Building; Westin Bonaventure Hotel; Wilshire Boulevard Temple; Hermosa Beach; Downtown, Los Angeles; Cinerama Dome; Broadway Theatre District - Los Angeles; S. Charles Lee; Los Angeles County Art Museum: Warner Bros. Downtwon Theatre; Los Angeles City Hall Lindbergh Beacon; Richfield Tower; May Company California; Miracle Mile; El Coyote Cafe; Mayan Theatre; Sears, Roebuck & Company Mail Order Building; Tower Theater; Capitol Records Building; Sunset Tower; Holmby Hall; USC School of Law; Banning House; Coca-Cola Building; Château Élysée; Los Angeles County General Hospital; Ebell of Los Angeles; Pan Pacific Auditorium; Crocker-Citizens Plaza (611 Place); CBS Columbia Square; Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum; Men's High Jump; International Savings & Exchange Bank Building; Silverwoods; Tail o' the Pup; Canter's Deli; Crossroads of the World; Fine Arts Building; International Savings & Exchange Bank Building; John Hanson Ford Theatre; St. Vincent Medical Center; Earl Carroll Theater; Clifton's Cafeteria; Los Angeles Stock Exchange; Pink's Hot Dogs; Original Tommy's; USC-Notre Dame Footbal Rivalry; The Forum (Inglewood); Dominguez-Wilshire Building; Century Plaza Hotel; Maddux Air Lines; Philippe's; Los Angeles Plaza Historic District; See's Candies; Broadway Tunnel; Hall of Justice; LA County Hall of Records; Hancock Park; Los Angeles Theater; California Federal Bank; Du-Par's Restaurant; The Church of Our Lady the Queen of Angels; Domingo Amestoy; Little Joe's Restaurant; Pasadena City Hall; MCI Center (Broadway Plaza/Macy Plaza); Janss Dome; Palladium; Lawrence Welk; Ben Bernie; Ambassador Hotel; Grauman's Chinese Theatre; Chili Bowl Restaurant - Art Whizin; Hollywood Playhouse (Avalon Hollywood); AT&T Madison Complex Tandem Office; 1932 Olympics; Crossroads of the World; Wich Stand; J. J. Newberry; Heinsbergen Building; Sheraton Town House; Lafayette Park; 2004 Los Angeles Skyline; LA Music Center; Dodger Stadium; Theme Building; Eastern Columbia Building; Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel; World Cruise Center; Precious Blood Catholic Church; Max Factor; Thrifty Drug Stores; Original Spanish Kitchen; Spanish Kitchen Photos; Lawry's; Lux Radio Theatre; American Legion; De Soto (Automobile)

 

< Back