Early Machine Shop - 1630 N. Main Street
|(Date unknown)* - Group of employees at 1630 N. Main Street.|
|(1920s)* - 1630 N. Main Street.|
|(1920s) - Garage and repair area at 1630 N. Main Street.|
|(Early 1920s)* - The General Machine Shop at 1630 N. Main Street.|
1930 - Overview of the General Machine Shop
The General Machine Shop, at 1630 North Main Street, has for its primary function mechanical maintenance work necessary in the operation of the system. It is well equipped to handle in the most efficient manner, at any time of the day or night, work on any piece of machinery on the system. The shop proves its value to continuous service in instances where major maintenance work on heavy machinery is required, such as large generator or waterwheel bearings which other shops are not adequately equipped to handle, and particularly when trouble develops at the time contract shops are crowed with work, or at night, Sundays, or holidays when outside assistance cannot be obtained.
The Machine Shop Crew and equipment is always standing by to start work in an emergency and continue every minute until the apparatus in trouble is again placed in operation.
The General Machine Shop not only provides this very essential emergency service, but a large portion of the Bureau needs, such as special truck bodies, tool carts, steel work used in sub-station construction, material for overhead line work, and various other things are fabricated by this organization, at a tremendous saving in time and cost.**
|(1930s)* - Machine shop at 1630 N. Main Street.|
|(Date unknown)* - Machine shop - transfer switch.|
|(1932)* - Scene in Department Battery Shop at 1630 North Main Street, Los Angeles were dollars are saved in making of new batteries – more than four years experience in building its own batteries for automotive equipment, communication service and miscellaneous station use has shown a decided saving and improved service to the Department of Water and Power.
|(1933)* - Largest size transmission line tower steel footing forms awaiting shipment in the blacksmith's shop at 1630 North Main Street, Los Angeles, dimensions are: heigh-8 feet; top diameter-22 inches; bottom diameter 3 1/2 feet. Frank Loverock, employee standing along side for comparison.|
|(1934)* - A conductor braking assembly, to be used in cable stringing, is shown being tested at the 1630 North Main Street, Los Angeles, machine shop prior to its transportation to the Kingston Division of the Boulder Dam transmission line. Shown viewing the tests are left: E. J. Bown from Design and Construction Division, engineer, designer of the apparatus, and Martin F. Fleming, head machinist.**|
* DWP - LA Public Library Image Archive
**LADWP Historic Archive