Early Views of Hollywood (1920 +)

Historical Photos of Early Hollywood
 
(1939)* - Looking up the palm tree-lined residential area of Normandie and Franklin Avenue. The Planetarium located at the Griffith Park Observatory may be seen in the far background, on the mountain, on a very clear day. Several homes in the Los Feliz area can be seen scattered on the mountain, and numerous automobiles are parked along both sides of the road. Architects John C. Austin and Frederick M. Ashley built the Observatory in 1935; it is located at 2800 E. Observatory Road in Griffith Park.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)* - This panoramic view taken from behind the Hollywoodland sign captures the structure of the letters as well as Lake Hollywood on the right. Click HERE to see more Early Views of Lake Hollywood and Mulholland Dam.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)* - View of the back of the Hollywoodland sign capturing the structural supports of each individual letter and the curving mountain roads below.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)* - Three people hike on a trail below the Hollywoodland sign. Photo by Herman J. Schultheis  

 

 

 

CBS Columbia Square

 
(1938)*# - Grand Opening of CBS West Coast Headquarters on Sunset Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

CBS Columbia Square, opened on April 30, 1938, was built for KNX and as the Columbia Broadcasting System's West Coast operations headquarters on the site of the Nestor Film Company, Hollywood's first movie studio. The Christie Film Company eventually took over operation of Nestor Studios and filmed comedies on the site, originally the location of an early Hollywood roadhouse. Prior to moving to Columbia Square, KNX had been situated at several Hollywood locations.*^

 

 

 
(1938)^^^ - Daytime view looking toward the northeast corner of El Centro Ave and Sunset Boulevard showing the newly constructed CBS Columbia Square.  

 

Historical Notes

CBS Columbia Square was designed by Swiss-born architect William Lescaze in the style of International Modernism and built over a year at a cost of two million dollars — more money than had ever been spent on a broadcasting facility.*^

 

 

 
(1939)* - Exterior view of the CBS Columbia Square building located at 6121 Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood.  

 

Historical Notes

In early 2009, CBS Columbia Square Studios were designated as a historic-cultural monument by Los Angeles Cultural Heritage Commission.*^

 

 

 
(1947)^*^^ – Looking west on Sunset Boulevard from Gower Street showing the CBS Studios.  

 

 

 

 
(1939)* - The Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra performs on a stage to an audience at the CBS Columbia Square building for a KNX radio broadcast.  

 

 

 
(ca. 1939)* - Man sitting at the master control point of CBS, Hollywood Radio Center. Woman is operating the teleplex, an electric typewriter.  

 

Historical Notes

The five-story CBS Columbia Square complex was home to radio stations KNX 1070 and KCBS 83FM, as well as CBS Channel 2 television station.*^

 

 

 

(n.d.)#**# - KNX Radio Control Room at CBS Columbia Square

 

 

 

.

 

Historical Notes

Radio broadcasts had studio audiences. They presented engineers and performers in a theatrical environment including lighting.  The CBS studio was lit for atmosphere. #**#

 

 

 
(1939)* - A night view, with neon signs lit, of the exterior of the studio of CBS radio and its L.A. affiliate KNX.  

 

Historical Notes

In 2005, KNX moved into new studios in the Miracle Mile neighborhood on L.A.'s Wilshire Boulevard which it shares with CBS Radio stations KFWB, KTWV, and KRTH. KNX was the last radio station to operate in Hollywood.

In 2007, KCBS-TV and KCAL-TV also left the building and moved their operations to the CBS Studio Center in Studio City, thus ending Columbia Square's status as a broadcast facility.*^

 

NBC Radio City

 
(ca. 1938)^^^ - Postcard view looking north on Vine Street at Sunset Boulevard. On the northeast corner stands the newly constructed NBC Radio City. Visible signs in the background include (L to R): Tropics, Hollywood Recreation Center Bowling, Plaza Hotel, The Broadway-Hollywood, Taft Building, and the Brown Derby.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1938)* - An exterior view of NBC's studio, Hollywood Radio City, located in Hollywood on the northeast corner of Sunset Blvd. and Vine St. The art deco station was designed by John Austin and built in 1938.  

 

Historical Notes

The West Coast Radio City opened in 1938, the same year as the CBS Columbia Square. It served as headquarters to the NBC Radio Networks' (Red and Blue) West Coast operations and replaced NBC's radio broadcast center in San Francisco, which had been around since the network's formation in 1927.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1940)#* - Interior view of the front entrance to the studios at NBC Hollywood Radio City. The floor-to-ceiling glass tile windows allows natural light to fill the very large open spaced lobby.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)***# - View of the lobby of NBC’s Hollywood Radio City dominated by 25 x 40 ft. mural painted by Ed Trumbull of New York. Beneath mural is the master control room.  

 

 

 

 
(1938)* - Engineer's control room in NBC's Hollywood Radio City.  

 

Historical Notes

NBC’s West Coast Radio City building had 8 large individual studios, four of which had capacity for several hundred people.  The technical facilities included the most modern RCA equipment.*^

 

 

 
(1939)* - Studio "D" in NBC's Hollywood Radio City viewed taken from the back of the stage facing the auditorium.  

 

Historical Notes

In the 1930’s, 40’s, and 50’s the NBC studio complex, coupled with CBS Columbia Square (located just down the street), was home to all the major radio studios that broadcast coast to coast.  It’s where the great personalities of the day, including Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Jack Benny, Burns and Allen, Al Jolson and many more assembled to entertain America.**^^

 

 

 
(ca. 1939)* - A crowd stands in line waiting to attend the taping of a program at the huge NBC studio complex, located on the northeast corner or Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street.  

 

Historical Notes

The National Broadcasting Company originally used the phrase Radio City to describe their studios at Rockefeller Center in New York City.  When NBC opened their new Hollywood studios at Sunset and Vine in 1938, they placed the words Radio City prominently on the front of their new building.  However, the area between Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard on Vine Street became known as Radio City for tourists and locals alike who visited the many radio studios and radio themed cocktail lounges and businesses in the area.**^^

 

 

 

 
(1939)^*^^ – Postcard view looking at NBC Radio City on the northeast corner of Sunset and Vine, Hollywood.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1940s)*# - Dusk view looking at the northwest corner of Sunset and Argyle Avenue showing a lit-up NBC Hollywood Radio City building.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1940s)^##* - View of a man walking on Sunset Blvd toward Vine St in front of the Streamline Moderne NBC Radio City building.  

 

Historical Notes

The beautiful Streamline Moderne building was designed by Architect John C. Austin, who also designed many other impressive buildings including City Hall, Griffith Observatory, Hollywood Masonic Temple, and the Shrine Auditorium.

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1939)^^^ - View looking northeast at the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street. NBC's Radio City stands on the corner. Note the ornate dual-lamp streetlight at the bottom of photo. Click HERE to see more in Early Views of LA Streetlights.  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1940)^##* – View looking east on Sunset Boulevard at Vine Street with NBC's Radio City on the N/E corner.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1940s)^** – View showing heavy traffic at the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street with the Radio City NBC studio at center and the Music City record store at left.  Signs for "Vine St." and "California US 101" are seen at far right.   

 

Historical Notes

Music City record store opened in 1940 on the N/W corner of Sunset and Vine.

 

 

 

 
(1942)^##* - Looking northeast across the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street with a 1937 Plymouth crossing the intersection and the NBC Studio in the background.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1940s)* - View looking north on Vine Street at Sunset Blvd showing the NBC studio complex located at the northeast corner.  In the background can be seen: The Hollywood Recreation Center Bowling Alley, Broadway-Hollywood, Hollywood Plaza Hotel, and the Taft Building can be seen in the background.  

 

 

 

 
(1940s)#**# – View looking northwest on Vine Street from the front entrance to NBC radio studios. Some of the businesses seen along the west side of Vine include:  the Tropics restaurant, the Globe Investment Company (1529 Vine), the Health Spot Shoe Shop (1531 Vine), the Travelknit Shop (1533 Vine), Ambassador Florists (1535 Vine) and the Hollywood Recreation Center Bowling Alley (1539 Vine).  

 

 

 

 

 
(1947)^** – View looking toward Hollywood Boulevard showing the stores along the west side of Vine Street as seen from the front of the NBC studio complex.  Business signs on Vine Street read Beni Gerson, Alexander Stationers, Tom Breneman's Restaurant (at 1539 North Vine Street), Hollywood Empire Restaurant, with the Plaza Hotel and the Broadway Building visible at the intersection of Hollywood and Vine. Note how the streetlights have changed (see prrevious photos).  

 

 

 

 

 
(1949)#**# - View looking east on Sunset Boulevard at Vine Street showing the NBC radio studios on the southeast corner.  

 

Historical Notes

The NBC studio complex stood until 1964 and then demolished to make room for a Home Savings and Loan bank (now Chase Bank).^##*

 

 

 

 
(1949)^** – View looking north on Vine Street toward Sunset Boulevard with the NBC Radio City studio for KNBH television channel 4 on the corner. Also visible are the Hollingsworth Taft Building, Broadway-Hollywood Building, Plaza Hotel, ABC Studio, and Music City television corner, and Radio City Pharmacy. Signs read "Miller High Life Beer" and "Coca-Cola."  

 

Historical Notes

KNBH Television was launched by NBC in 1949 and the change of the call letters KNBH to KRCA in 1954. ^**

 

 

 

 
(1948)^** – Panoramic nighttime view looking north on Vine Street with the intersection of Sunset Boulevard in the foreground.  Visible buildings include Radio City NBC Studio, Brown Derby, Western Air Lines, Capitol Records, Tom Breneman's Restaurant, the Broadway-Hollywood department store building, and Plaza Hotel.  

 

 

 

Carpenter’s Drive-in Restaurant

 
(1940s)##^* – View looking northwest toward the intersection of Sunset and Vine from the front of Carpenter’s Drive-in Restaurant located on the S/E corner.   NBC Radio City is across the street on the N/E corner and Wallich's Music City is on the N/W corner.  

 

Historical Notes

Originally located near the northeast corner of Sunset and Vine (6265 Sunset Blvd), Carpenter’s would be torn down to make room for the new NBC Radio City building, constructed in 1938. Shortly thereafter, Carpenter’s was reincarnated across the street on the southeast corner of Sunset and Vine (6290 Sunset Blvd).

 

 

 
(1940s)##^* – View showing cars parked at Harry Carpenter's Drive-in Restaurant on the southeast corner of Sunset and Vine, 6290 Sunset Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

Harry B. Carpenter founded the Carpenter's chain with his brother Charles and operated many locations in Los Angeles including: Sunset and Vine, Wilshire and Western, Wilshire and La Cienega, Wilshire and Vine, Pico and Vermont, Silver Lake and Glendale and Sunset and Virgil.*

Click HERE to see more Early Views of LA Drive-in Restaurants.

 

Crossroads of the World

 
(ca. 1937)*  –  View of the Cross Roads of the World neon sign located in front of the first outdoor mall in Hollywood.  

 

 

 

 
(1936)**## - Front view of Crossroads of the World, the world’s first planned outdoor shopping mall located at 6671 Sunset Blvd.  

 

Historical Notes

Crossroads of the World has been called America's first outdoor shopping mall. Located on Sunset Boulevard and Las Palmas in Los Angeles, the mall features a central building designed to resemble an ocean liner surrounded by a small village of cottage-style bungalows. It was designed by Robert V. Derrah and built in 1936.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1939)* - Postcard view of Crossroads of the World in Hollywood. Shops at the other end of the building from the tower are in the Spanish Colonial, Tudor, and French Provincial architectural styles.  

 

Historical Notes

Once a busy shopping center, the Crossroads now hosts private offices, primarily for the entertainment industry. It has been used for location shooting in many films, including L.A. Confidential and The Adventures of Ford Fairlane, in TV shows including Dragnet and Remington Steele, and in commercials by McDonald's, Ford and Mattel. A reproduction of Crossroads' iconic tower and spinning globe can be seen just inside the entrance to Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World in Florida.*^

 

 

 
(1939)* - Entrance to the Crossroads of the World shopping center designed to look like a Streamline Moderne ship. It has a tall, open tower that is topped with a lighted globe. In the foreground is the John Macsoud shop, located at 6671 Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood.  

 

 

 

 
(n.d.)*# - Day & Night view of the Cross Roads globe tower.  

 

Historical Notes

Today, Crossroads is the creative home of a variety of music publishers and producers, television and film script writers, film and recording companies, novelists, costume designers, publicists and casting agencies.*^

 

 

 
(1954)#**# – View looking north across a wet Sunset Boulevard toward Crossroads of the World.  

 

Historical Notes

The Crossroads can be seen in the 2012 movie Argo when Tony Mendez (Ben Affleck) and Lester Siegel (Alan Arkin) go to an office there to buy the script for the movie Argo.*^

In 1974, Crossroads of the World was dedicated Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 134 (Click HERE to see complete listing).

 

Max Factor Building

 
(ca. 1930s)^^^ - Exterior view of the Max Factor Building, the "Jewel Box of the Cosmetic World", located at 1666 North Highland Avenue, in Hollywood.  

 

Historical Notes

Max Factor & Company was founded during 1909 by Maksymilian Faktorowicz, Max Factor, a Polish-Jewish cosmetician from Poland. After immigrating to the United States in 1904 Max Factor moved his family and business to Los Angeles, seeing an opportunity to provide made-to-order wigs and theatrical make-up to the growing film industry. Besides selling his own make-up products he soon became the West Coast distributor of both Leichner and Minor, two leading theatrical make-up manufacturers.*^

In 1928 Max Factor purchased the four-story Max Factor Building, formerly the Hollywood Fire Safe Building, known as the Jewel Box of the Cosmetic World and began manufacturing his world-famous make up on the upper floors while transforming the ground floor into a grand salon where fashionable women and celebrities came to see and be seen, as well as to purchase his make-up.^

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)^##* – View showing the Max Factor Buildings on the west side of Highland.  Hollywood First National Bank can be seen on the northeast corner of Hollywood and Highland.  

 

Historical Notes

Famed architect S. Charles Lee designed the building in the so-called Hollywood regency art deco style. Lee was celebrated for his design of many of the grand motion picture theaters in Los Angeles as well as hotels and other signature buildings in the city and elsewhere in California and in Hollywood. #^*#

 

 

 
(ca. 1939)* - Two women are seen walking in front of the Max Factor Make Up Studio located on Highland Avenue just south of Hollywood Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1935, Max Factor opened the Max Factor Make Up Studio adjacent to his main four-story building. It was fondly nicknamed The Pink Powder Puff.*

 

 

 
(1930s)*^*# – View of a fashionably dressed woman walking in front of the Max Factor Building on the east side of Highland Avenue.  The Hollywood First National Bank stands tall in the background on the northeast corner of Highland Avenue and Hollywood Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

By 1914 Max Factor had perfected the first cosmetic specifically created for motion picture use — a thinner greasepaint in cream form, packaged in a jar, and created in 12 precisely-graduated shades. Unlike theatrical cosmetics, it would not crack or cake. It was worn for the first time by actor Henry B. Walthall, who served as the model for screen tests.

In 1925 the company received its biggest order to date when it had to complete a rush order to supply 600 gallons of light olive makeup to the set of the movie "Ben-Hur" to ensure that the skin color of the extras used in filming undertaken in America would match that of the darker skinned Italian extras in the scenes filmed in Italy.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1950)*# – View showing the Max Factor Building with signs in front reading:  HAIRDRESS – WIGS - TOUPEES  

 

 

 

 
(2010)*# -  View of the landmark Max Factor Building, currently The Hollywood History Musum, located at 1666 N. Highland Avenue.  

 

Historical Notes

Declared L.A. Historic Cultural Monument No. 593 on April 26, 1994, this building eventually became The Max Factor Museum of Beauty. It closed its doors in 1996 but reopened in 2002 as The Hollywood History Museum. It is located at 1666 N. Highland Ave. just one half-block south of Hollywood Boulevard.*

Click HERE to see complete listing of L.A. Historic Cultural Monuments.

 

* * * * *

 

Gotham Deli

 
(ca. 1939)+### – View looking at the southwest corner of Hollywood Boulevard and N. Sycamore Avenue showing the Gotham Delicatessen with the Sycamore Apartments on the 2nd floor.  Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar along with a 12-story office building stand on the site today. Click HERE to see contemporary view.  

 

Historical Notes

The Gotham Delicatessen was a favorite spot for New York transplants ever since it opened in 1924. During the 1940s, when radio networks were located all throughout Hollywood, many of the radio stars would drop in for dinner.

Across the street from Gotham’s was the Hollywood Professional Building where the Screen Actors Guild was located (8th floor).  After late-night sessions at the Guild headquarters, Ronald Reagan and other board members would often walk over to Gotham to eat and drink and discuss Guild business. 

In Bob Thomas's biography on William Holden, actor Dana Andrews recalled one occasion when he joined Holden and Reagan for dinner at Gotham. "After a meeting, Bill, Ronnie and I went to the Gotham to continue our discussion. All three of us ordered drinks, and after we had talked for a while, the waiter came to the table and Bill and I ordered another round. Ronnie said with surprise, 'Why do you want another drink? You just had one.' See what happened: Bill and I became alcoholics and Ronnie became President of the United States." +###

 

* * * * *

 

 

Hollywood Boulevard

 
(ca. 1940)^^^ - View looking east on Hollywood Boulevard.  The Warner Bros. Theatre with its two KFWB roof-mounted transmitter towers can be seen on the northeast corner of Hollywood and Wilcox.  

 

Historical Notes

The original KFWB studios and transmitter location were at the Warner Bros. Studios, which is now KTLA, at 5800 Sunset Boulevard. One of the two original towers still stands prominently out front. Due to RF interference getting into the movie studio's "talkies" sound equipment, the transmitter was moved in 1928 to the roof of the Warner Theater, now the Hollywood Pacific Theatre, at 6423 Hollywood Blvd. Eventually the studios were also moved to the Warner Theater. Those two towers are still there, as well.*^

 

 

 
(1940)* - BEFORE SMOG CHECKS - Three cars are driving east from Wilcox on Hollywood Blvd., while on the opposite side two streetcars are coming west past Warners movie theater.
 

 

 

 

 

 
(1940s)#**# – View looking west on Hollywood Blvd toward Cahuenga Blvd with the Security Trust and Savings Bank (Security Pacific Bank) at right (NE corner).  The two KFWB roof-mounted transmitter towers can be seen in the distance.  

 

Historical Notes

The rectangular area it the middle of the street (at center-left) is where you waited for the streetcar.  It was called the “safety zone”.

 

 

Highland Avenue

 
(1944)* - Approaching Franklin while traveling north on Highland Avenue. Seen north of Franklin Avenue are the Highland Tower apartment building, an Art Deco commercial building (occupied by a cleaners, Wonder Super Market, and Cut Rate liquors), homes in the Hollywood Hills, and a Foster and Kleiser billboard for Sun Maid raisins; south of Franklin Avenue is a Mobil service station.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1940s)#**# – View looking north on Highland near Sunset Boulevard.  In the distance, past the Red Car, you can see the tower of the Hollywood First National Bank Building on the Northeast corner of Hollywood Blvd at Highland.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1940s)* - A group of people boarding the Pacific Electric Railway on Highland near Hollywood High School for the Subway Terminal Building via Santa Monica Boulevard.  

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1940)* - Panoramic view of Hollywood looking northwest toward the Cahuenga Pass. The Hollywood Freeway and Cahuenga Pass are visible at the top of the photo, with the San Fernando Valley far off in the distance.  

 

Historical Notes

The first segment of the Hollywood Freeway built was a one and a half mile stretch through the Cahuenga Pass. That segment opened on June 15, 1940. It was then known as the "Cahuenga Pass Freeway." Pacific Electric Railway trolleys ran down the center of this freeway until 1952.*^

The cluster of buildings in the middle portion of this urban jungle are: KNX and CBS Radio Playhouse (short, windowless building mid-photo); Plaza Hotel; Broadway-Hollywood; Hotel Knickerbocker - which are all along the left side of Vine St.; and the Taft Building - across the street on the right side of Vine Street. The three large white buildings running in an east/west direction along Sunset Blvd. are: CBS Television (long horizontal windows on lower right); the famous Hollywood Palladium (semi-domed white roof, lower middle); and NBC Studios (white building with three long, vertical windows) located on the corner of Sunset and Vine.*

 

 

Palladium

 
(1940)*^^* - Exterior view of the Hollywood Palladium, located at 6215 West Sunset Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

Los Angeles Times publisher Norman Chandler funded the construction of the art deco Hollywood Palladium at a cost of $1.6 million in 1940. It was built where the original Paramount lot once stood by film producer Maurice Cohen and is located between Argyle and El Centro avenues. The style dance hall was designed by Gordon Kaufmann, architect of the Greystone Mansion, the Los Angeles Times building and the Santa Anita Racetrack in Arcadia. He was also the architect for the Hoover Dam and early Caltech dorms.*^

 

 

 
(1940)* - Marquee at the Palladium shows premiere opening of Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra.  

 

Historical Notes

The ballroom opened October 31, 1940 with a dance featuring Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra and band vocalist Frank Sinatra.  It had six bars serving liquor and two more serving soft drinks and a $1 cover charge and a $3 charge for dinner.*^

 

 

 
(1940s)^#^^ - Hollywood Palladium during WWII. The dance floor is fiilled to capacity.  

 

Historical Notes

During WWII, the Palladium hosted radio broadcasts featuring Betty Grable greeting servicemen’s' song requests. Big Band acts began losing popularity in the 1950s, causing the Palladium to hold charity balls, political events, auto shows, and rock concerts. In 1961, it became the home of the long-running Lawrence Welk Show.*^

 

 

 
(1950s)^^ - Night view of the Palladium Theater located in Hollywood at the corner of Sunset Boulevard and Argyle Avenue.  Marquee reads:  Tonight and Saturday – The Lawrence Welk Champagne Music Makers  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1950s)*^^* - View of Lawrence Welk at the Palladium conducting his 'Polka Music' orchestra.  

 

Historical Notes

The Lawrence Welk Show started in 1951 as a local program on KTLA-TV in Los Angeles. The original show was broadcast from the since-demolished Aragon Ballroom at Venice Beach. The show made its national TV debut on July 2, 1955, and was initially produced at the Hollywood Palladium, moving to the ABC studios at Prospect and Talmadge in Hollywood shortly afterwards. For 23 of its 27 years on the air, the show would originate there. The only seasons not produced there were 1965–66, 1976–77 at the Hollywood Palace and CBS Television City from 1977 to 1979.*^

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1950)^** – Postcard view looking towards Sunset Boulevard from the intersection of El Centro Avenue in Hollywood, with the Palladium theater at center, Radio City NBC Studios at far left and the Broadway Building in the distance at right. The Palladium marquee reads "Jerry Gray and his Orchestra" next to a storefront with a sign for Photostats - Music Prints"  

 

 

 

Hollywood Bowl

 
(n.d.)* - Postcard view of the Hollywood Bowl showing its shell under construction.
 

 

 

 

 
(1941)* - Photo captions read: "Hollywood Bowl--getting face lifted for July 14 opener: It's pictured in night scene; Bowl enthusiasts will find new 'Meet Me There' circle and other innovations." "Picturesque Hollywood Bowl, home of the 'Symphonies Under the Stars,' will be the scene of a new series between July 15 and Sept. 7. The bowl is shown above with its beautiful panorama of light, color and music."
 

 

 

 

 
(1940)^^ - Panoramic view of the Hollywood Bowl at night, showing spectators.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(1943)**** - Frank Sinatra's Hollywood Bowl debut on August 14, 1943 was the first appearance by a pop singer with the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1940)**** - View of the Santa Claus Lane Parade in front of Grauman's Chinese Theatre.  

 

 

 

 
(1939)##^* – View of the stands in front of Grauman's Chinese Theatre during the premier of ‘The Wizard of Oz’ on August 15, 1939.  

 

Historical Notes

The Wizard of Oz film was produced by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and is the most well-known and commercial adaptation based on the 1900 novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. The film stars Judy Garland; Terry the dog, billed as Toto; Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Bert Lahr, Frank Morgan, Billie Burke, Margaret Hamilton, with Charley Grapewin and Clara Blandick, and the Singer Midgets as the Munchkins, with Pat Walshe as leader of the flying monkeys. Notable for its use of Technicolor, fantasy storytelling, musical score and unusual characters, over the years it has become one of the best known of all films and part of American popular culture. It also featured in cinema what may be for the time the most elaborate use of character make-ups and special effects.

It was not a box office success on its initial release, earning only $3,017,000 on a $2,777,000 budget, despite receiving largely positive reviews.  The film was MGM's most expensive production at that time, and did not recoup much of the studio's investment until subsequent re-releases.  It was nominated for six Academy Awards, including Best Picture but lost to Gone with the Wind. It did win in two other categories including Best Original Song for "Over the Rainbow." The song was ranked first in two lists: the AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs and the Recording Industry Association of America's "365 Songs of the Century".*^

 

 

 

 
(1940)**** - Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.  

 

Historical Notes

When “The Wizard of Oz” (1939) was released, Judy and Mickey toured together to promote that film as well as their “Babes in Arms” musical. Mickey would present Judy with her very special Oscar for Best Juvenile Performance that year. They were at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre together when Judy set her hands and feet in cement in 1940.^#*#

 

 

 

Hollywood Canteen

 
(1943)* - Postcard view of the Hollywood Canteen for Service Men, located at 1451 N. Cahuenga Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

The Hollywood Canteen operated between 1942 and 1945, as a club offering food, dancing and entertainment for servicemen, usually on their way overseas. A serviceman's ticket for admission was his uniform, and everything at the canteen was free of charge.*^

 

 

 
(1942)#^^^ - Abbot and Costello performing one of their routines at opening night of the Hollywood Canteen.  

 

Historical Notes

The driving forces behind its creation were Bette Davis and John Garfield, along with Jules Stein, President of Music Corporation of America. The Canteen was operated and staffed completely by volunteers from the entertainment industry. Stars volunteered to wait on tables, cook in the kitchen and clean up. One of the highlights for a serviceman was to dance with one of the many female celebrities volunteering at the Canteen. The other highlight was the entertainment provided by some of Hollywood's most popular stars, ranging from radio stars to big bands to novelty acts.*^

 

 

 
(1940s)#**# - Louis Armstrong entertaining the troops at the Hollywood Canteen during WWII.  

 

 

 

 
(1943)#^^^ - View of a long line of servicemen waiting outside the Hollywood Canteen on Cahuenga Blvd. The tall building in the background is the Hollywood Athletic Club on Sunset Blvd.  

 

Historical Notes

On September 15, 1943, the one millionth guest walked through the door of the Hollywood Canteen. The lucky soldier, Sgt. Carl Bell, received a kiss from Betty Grable and was escorted in by another beautiful star, including Marlene Dietrich.*^

 

 

 
(1944)^##* - Looking south on Cahuenga Boulevard at the Hollywood Canteen, showing a long line of servicemen waiting to get in.  

 

 

 

 
(1943)* - Marlene Dietrich, Bob Hope and Bette Davis discuss the Hall of Honor which was unveiled at the Hollywood Canteen's first birthday party. Photo dated: November 3, 1943  

 

Historical Notes

A Hall of Honor at the Hollywood Canteen had a wall of photos which honored the film actors who served in the military.

 

 

 
(ca. 1943)*# – Five uniformed soldiers sit in a car parked in front of the Hollywood Canteen.  

 

Historical Notes

By 1944, the Canteen had become so popular that Warner Bros. made a movie titled Hollywood Canteen. Starring Joan Leslie and Robert Hutton, the film had scores of stars playing themselves. At the time the Canteen closed its doors, it had been host to almost three million servicemen.*^

 

 

 
(1943)* - Photo of The Hollywood Bond Calvacade parading down the street. A long line of jeeps carries a multitude of stars who wave and smile at the crowds.  

 

Historical Notes

During World War II, major Hollywood celebrities participated in many war bond drives, both in Southern California and on major national tours. The Hollywood Bond Calvacade was a 21 day nationwide tour for the Third War Loan drive.*

 

 

 
(1943)^^# - Hollywood celebrities leave for Washington to help in the Third War Loan campaign, Sept. 4, 1943.  

 

Historical Notes

From left: Judy Garland, Fred Astaire (face visible), Greer Garson, Dick Powell, Betty Hutton, Mickey Rooney, Kay Kyser and Lucille Ball.

 

 

 
(1944)*^^ - Spotlights abound at a War Bonds event at the Hollywood Bowl.  

 

Historical Notes

On June 14th, 1944, radio actors and actresses performed at the Hollywood Bowl during a war bond program.  CBS broadcast the event.^

 

 

 

 
(1945)* - Panoramic view showing smokers lined up in front of the Owl Drug store at Santa Monica and Western upon hearing that cigarettes were finally available after a prolonged shortage in March, 1945.  

 

Historical Notes

During World War II, Congress mandated that a certain amount of cigarettes per soldier/sailor/marine be sent to the various military units. Those who didn't smoke usually traded their allotment with others in uniform for food, guard duty, etc. At the same time, the number of people involved in the harvest of tobacco and manufacture of its products was greatly reduced because so many were in uniform. And "Lucky Strike Green has gone to war" was a major advertising slogan promising that when peace was restored cigarettes would again be easily available (until the Surgeon General's report, but the 1940s knew nothing of that).

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1940s)^^ - Photograph of an exterior view of Thrifty Drug Store and A&P Market. The one-story Art Deco-style building is pictured on the southwest corner of Sunset Boulevard and Fairfax Avenue. At left, the sidewalk is lined by palm trees. In the right foreground, a motorcyclist makes his way past two parked automobiles.  

 

Historical Notes

Today, a Rite Aid occupies the building on the southwest corner of Fairfax and Sunset.

Thrifty PayLess Holdings, Inc. was a pharmacy holding company that owned the Thrifty Drugs and PayLess Drug Stores chains in the western United States. The combined company was formed in April 1994 when Los Angeles-based TCH Corporation, the parent company of Thrifty Corporation and Thrifty Drug Stores, Inc., acquired the Kmart subsidiary PayLess Northwest, Inc.  At the time of the merger, TCH Corporation was renamed Thrifty PayLess Holdings, Inc. and Thrifty operated 495 stores, PayLess operated 543 stores.

In 1996, Rite Aid acquired 1,000 West Coast stores from Thrifty PayLess Holdings, creating a chain with over 3,500 drug stores.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1940)^^ -  Exterior view of the A & P Market and Thrifty Drug Store at Sunset and Fairfax as seen from across the street. This light-colored art deco building has a small overhang with rounded edges below a sign that shows a large "A & P" inside a circle. Above, another large sign faces toward the left with the same A & P sign accompanied by a Thrifty Drug Store sign. At center, the inside of the market is barely visible through the large opening.  

 

Historical Notes

The A&P stores evolved from the Great Atlantic and Pacific (A&P) Tea Company, founded in the 1800s in New York by George Hartford and George Gilman. In 1912, John Hartford, son of the co-founder, came up with the idea of expanding and forming the A&P Econonmy Store chain which would rely on a business model that included standarization of layout and elmination of credit accounts and delivery.

The format was wildly successful, and the chain had grown from 585 stores in 1913 to more than 4500 stores by 1920, and to over 15,000 stores all over the east coast and Midwest by 1930. In the early 1930s, the first California stores were opened, adding some credibility to the company name.

By the 1960s, A&P stores were stale, sales were flat, and the midwestern and west coast divisions were struggling. A well-publicized corporate reorganization in 1968 and 1969 did little to stem the decline, and the next two decades were defined by declining sales, closing stores, and failed format changes. Among the stores closed were the entire Southern California operation, in 1969, which eliminated A&P as a contender in the fastest-growing market in the country. #^#^

 

 

 
(ca. 1943)* - Looking west on Santa Monica Boulevard at Formasa Ave with a view of the Samuel Goldwyn Studios. The Red Post Cafe's sign (later Formosa Cafe) is seen on the southeast corner.  

 

Historical Notes

The 18-acre property on the corner of Santa Monica Boulevard and Formosa Avenue was originally owned by Jesse Durham Hampton, and then became known as the Pickford-Fairbanks Studios. As United Artists began to lure independent producers away from the major studios, many of the producers like Samuel Goldwyn and Joseph Schenck rented offices and stages on the property.

In the early 1920s, the “lot” was renamed the United Artists Studio and in 1939 it was renamed again the Samuel Goldwyn Studio.**+

 

Formosa Cafe

 
(n.d.)*##^ - Exterior view of the Formosa Cafe located on the southeast corner of Santa Monica Blvd and Formosa Avenue.  

 

Historical Notes

The Formosa was founded in 1925 by 1920s prize-fighter Jimmy Bernstein. Bernstein operated his establishment initially in a Red Car trolley located just east of The Lot Studios. In 1945, Lem Quon went into partnership with Bernstein, taking full ownership in 1976 when Berstein died. The restaurant remains in the family with Quom's grandson, Vince Jung, managing it.

Generations of movie stars such as Humphrey Bogart and Clark Gable have eaten meals at The Formosa. Frank Sinatra is reputed to have spent many nights at the Formosa in the 1950s, pining over Ava Gardner.
The interior and exterior of the Formosa Cafe can be seen in the movie L.A. Confidential. Other movies shot here include The Majestic starring Jim Carrey and Still Breathing starring Brendan Fraser.

In the past, the building housing the Formosa has been described as an "unimpressive, brick-red building with white & black striped awnings, it sits in a particularly faded section of Hollywood, near the corner of Santa Monica & La Brea Boulevards - a corner where hookers have been known to peddle their services even in broad daylight." The City of West Hollywood has since cleaned up the area and a new shopping complex, West Hollywood Gateway, opened in 2004 on the same block.*^

Click HERE to see contemporary view.

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

 
(1940s)* - Spotlights draw attention to a film premiere taking place at Grauman's Chinese Theatre, located at 6925 Hollywood Boulevard.  

 

 

 

 
(1940s)^^ - Looking east down Hollywood Boulevard towards Vine Street and the Broadway-Hollywood Building..  

 

 

Santa Claus Lane

 
(ca. 1940s)^^ - View showing Santa Claus Lane in Hollywood at night. The road is wet, and the images of surrounding buildings are reflected in the glossy surface. Shops can be seen lining both sides of the road, and Christmas tree-shaped decorations hang on light posts. A streetlight can be seen hanging over the street at center. Legible signs include, from left: "Tailors", "Platt Music Co.", and "Stoner's Shoes".  

 

Historical Notes

Beginning in 1928, Hollywood merchants transformed a one-mile stretch of Hollywood Boulevard into "Santa Claus Lane" to boost shopping. Part of the promotion was a daily parade featuring Santa Claus and a film star.  Originally called the Santa Claus Lane Parade, the inaugural event featured only Santa Claus and the actress Jeanette Loff.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1940s)* - View looking west on a holiday-infused Hollywood Boulevard from Argyle Ave. The Pantages Theatre is in the foreground on the right and the Taft Building in the distance on the left.  

 

Historical Notes

The Hollywood Christmas Parade continued to grow in scale with the help of local businesses and the community. In 1931 Santa Claus rode a truck-pulled float instead of the reindeer-pulled carriage of previous years. American Legion Post 43 marched with a color guard, drum line and bugle corps.*^

 

 

 

 
(1937)^** – Postcard view looking west on Hollywood Boulevard showing "Santa Claus Lane".  Crowds of people line the street as they await for the parade to begin. Electric Christmas tree and star decorations are seen along the boulevard. Also seen are the: Vogue Theatre, Egyptian Theatre, Hotel Christie, Roosevelt Hotel, and First National Bank Building (with illuminated tower) in the distance. An electric sign hanging over the boulevard reads "Navy Blue-Gold" and movie banners read "Eddie Cantor 'Ali Baba Goes to Town,' " and "Jungle Princess Dorothy Lamour and Ray Milland."  

 

 

 

 

 
(1945)* - A view looking down upon Hollywood Blvd. from the east on the eve of the annual Santa Claus Lane Parade (now called the Hollywood Christmas Parade). Christmas decorations can be seen on the festively lit boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

The Parade was suspended from 1942 to 1944 due to World War II, but reopened in 1945 with record attendance.
In 1946 Gene Autry rode his horse in the parade and was inspired by the children yelling "Here comes Santa Claus, Here comes Santa Claus," to write the song "Here Comes Santa Claus" along with Oakley Haldeman.*^

 

 

 
(1945)* - Cars driving along the street in Hollywood called Santa Claus Lane at Christmas time.  

 

Historical Notes

The parade continued to grow throughout the 1950s, '60s, and '70s, adding floats, animals, bands and celebrities. By 1978, the parade had been renamed the Hollywood Christmas Parade in order to attract more celebrities, and was broadcast locally on KTLA-TV with the help of Johnny Grant. This change also coincided with the shift of the parade being held on Thanksgiving Eve to the Sunday after Thanksgiving.*^

 

 

 

 
(1946)^** - Postcard view looking east showing a well-lit Hollywood Boulevard during the Holiday Season.  Card reads “Santa Claus Lane”.  The Broadway Building and Kress building are in the distance, and Shaw's can be seen at right.   

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1945)* - Looking east on Hollywood Blvd from Highland Ave during the holiday season. Christmas tree decorations can be seen on the light standards lining the sidewalks and bell and star decorations hang across the street at regular intervals on this portion of Hollywood Blvd, which is known as Santa Claus Lane. The Hollywood First National Bank, First Federal Savings of Hollywood, and J.C. Penney Co. are visible on the left. Pacific Electric streetcar tracks run in both directions down the center of the boulevard.  

 

 

 

 
(1945)^*## – View looking east on Hollywood Boulevard at Ivar Avenue.  The Broadway-Hollywood Building can be seen on the right on the southwest corner of Hollywood and Vine. The Guaranty Building stands at left on the northeast corner of Hollywood and Ivar, and the Equitable Building is in the distance on northeast corner of Hollywood and Vine.  

 

Historical Notes

The 12-story Guaranty Building is a Beaux Arts office building built in 1923 and designed by John C. Austin.  It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.  The building is currently owned by the Church of Scientology.*^

 

 

 

 
(1940s)^^^ – Postcard night view looking southeast from the Hollywood Hills showing the glittering lights of Hollywood, at the Hollywood and Vine District.  

 

 

 

Hollywood and Vine

 
(1945)^##* – Crowds at Hollywood and Vine celebrating surrender of Japan, ending World War II -  VJ Day (Aug. 14, 1945).  

 

 

 

 

 
(1945)* - Postcard view of a crowd looking at the electric billboard on the Taft Building. The view is from the north-west corner of Hollywood and Vine looking south-east. An early traffic sign is in the foreground and in the background the distinctive "hat" of the Brown Derby sign is visible.   

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1948)^^^ - Postcard view of Vine Street looking south from the front of The Broadway-Hollywood on southwest corner of Hollywood and Vine. The Brown Derby Restaurant can be seen down the block on the east side of Vine.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1940s)^^ - View of the Taft Building at 1680 N. Vine Street, S/E corner of Hollywood and Vine. The Owl Drug Company occupies the street level corner space. An early model bus is pulling through the intersection as pedestrians are crossing the street.  

 

Historical Notes

A.Z. Taft, Jr. purchased the Hollywood Memorial Church on the southeast corner of Hollywood and Vine, tore it down, and built the 12-story Taft Building.  All the movie studios had offices in the building as well as actors Charlie Chaplin and Will Rogers. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences also resided there. Even Clark Gable's dentist was located in the building.*^

In 1999, the Taft Building and Neon Sign were designated Historic-Cultural Monument No. 666 (Click HERE to see complete listing).

 

 

 

 
(2015)^^# - View looking up at the Taft Building after it was renovated. Photo by Gary Friedman / Los Angeles Times  

 

Historical Notes

Opened in 1927, the building was designed in Neo-Renaissance style by prominent architects Percy A. Eisen and Albert R. Walker, who are also known for designing the Fine Arts Building and the James Oviatt Building in downtown Los Angeles and the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills.

In 2014-15 the Taft Building got a $15-million makeover with a renovation that shored up its seismic strength and uncovered historic architectural details that were under wraps for decades.^^#

 

 

 

 
(1940s)*^* - Postcard view of the intersection of "World Famous" Owl Drug Store on the ground floor of the Taft Building, southeast corner of Hollywood and Vine.  

 

Historical Notes

The intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street in Hollywood  became famous in the 1920s for its concentration of radio and movie-related businesses.

An historical marker plaque placed at the site by The Broadway-Hollywood Department Store reads:

Hollywood was given name by pioneers Mr. and Mrs. Horace H. Wilcox. They subdivided their ranch in 1887 and called two dirt cross-roads Prospect Avenue and Weyse Avenue. Prospect Avenue, the main artery, was renamed Hollywood Boulevard and Weyse Avenue became Vine Street. This was the origin of "Hollywood and Vine."

The streets were renamed in 1910, when the town of Hollywood was annexed by the City of Los Angeles

 

 

 

 
(1940s)^^^ - Postcard view looking east down Hollywood Boulevard at Vine Street. Visible from left to right are: The Equitable Building, Pantages Theatre, Taft Building, Owl Drug Store, and the Broadway-Hollywood.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

(1944)**** - The corner of Hollywood and Vine. This location is noted for being the "DISCOVERY OF MOVIE STARS" location. The Owl Drug Store can be seen in the background (S/E Corner).

 

 

 

 

 

Historical Notes

It's been touted as the world's most famous intersection. Radio station KFWB boasted that it broadcasted from the corner, and gossip columnist Hedda Hopper popularized it as a prime location for celebrity sightings.

 

 

 

(1944)*# – View showing a woman in a fashionable dress walking west on the south side of Hollywood Boulevard just west of Vine Street (same location as previous photo).

 

 

 

Historical Notes

Note the sign pointing south down Vine to the Hollywood Victory House. Like the Victory House in Pershing Square, a central place to buy and sell war bonds. It opened in the forecourt of Graumann’s Chinese in May 1942, then moved near Hollywood & Vine.*#

Also note the Pilgrimage Play sign.  Click HERE to see more of the Pilgrimage Play Theatre (later the John Ford Theatre) located across from the Hollywood Bowl.

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1945)*- View looking west on Hollywood Boulevard at Vine Street showing a Pacific Electric Railway heading east.  The Broadway-Hollywood Building can be seen on the left (S/W corner).  

 

Historical Notes

Streetcars ran in both directions down Hollywood Boulevard until 1953. #*##

 

 

 

 
(1947)* - View from northwest corner of Hollywood and Vine looking south. The man with the hat in the lower right is standing on the northwest corner. An early traffic sign is in the foreground and in the background the distinctive "hat" of the Brown Derby sign is visible. The Broadway-Hollywood stands across the street on the southwest corner.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1940s)^*^# – View showing a well-dressed woman at the southwest corner of Hollywood and Vine looking at the Broadway-Hollywood window display of hats.  In the reflection can be seen two buildings across the street: Equitable Building (N/E corner) and Melody Lane Restaurant (N/W corner).  

 

 

Melody Lane Restaurant

 
(1940s)^##* - View looking down from the roof of the Broadway-Hollywood showing the intersection of Hollywood and Vine. The Taft Building is on the right (S/E corner) and the famous Melody Lane is seen at upper-left (N/W corner).  

 

Historical Notes

In 1940, restaurateur Sidney Hoedemaker of the Pig 'n' Whistle - Melody Lane chain, leased the northwest corner of Hollywood and Vine and transformed it into a Melody Lane restaurant. He hired coffee shop modern architect Wayne McAllister and S. Charles Lee to do the design. #^**

 

 

 
(1947)*# - View looking west on Hollywod Boulevard at the intersection with Vine Street. The Melody Lane Cafe is on the northwest corner.  

 

 

 

 
(1947)^#^^ - View toward the northwest corner of Hollywood and Vine, looking over an ornate two-lamp streetlight. The traffic signal at lower right shows "GO" even though the intersection is full of cross-traffic.  

 

Historical Notes

By 1955, Melody Lane Restaurant, N/W corner of Hollywood and Vine, would be converted into Hody's Coffee Shop. This would be followed by Howard Johnson's in 1971, and the Brown Derby in the 1980s. The site became a slew of struggling retail and nightclubs such as; Premiere, Jack's Sugar Shack, the Deep, and finally the Basque nightclub. In April 2008 the building went up in flames and the lot has been empty since. #^**

 

 

Click HERE to see more of the N/W Corner of Hollywood and Vine

 

 

 

 

 
(1947)^^^ – View looking northeast toward the Pantages Theatre from the southwest corner of Hollywood and Vine. Owl-Rexall Drug Store is on the southeast corner.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1946, United-Rexall Drug Inc. launched the Owl Superstores chain. In 1947, the company held a gala opening for their new headquarters and first store in Los Angeles, California. The new Hollywood Owl was reported in Life Magazine as 'the World's Biggest Drugstore'.

Rexall gained national exposure through its sponsorship of two famous classic American radio programs of the 1940s and 1950s: Amos and Andy and The Phil Harris-Alice Faye Show. Both shows were often opened by an advertisement from an actor (Griff Barnett) portraying "your Rexall family druggist", and included the catch phrase "Good health to all from Rexall."

In 1958, the Rexall Drug Company was the largest U.S. drug store franchise, with 11,158 stores (for comparison, there are fewer than 12,000 McDonald's restaurants in the U.S. today).*^

 

 

 

 
(1948)* - Looking northeast across the busy intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street, towards the Equitable Building and the iconic Pantages Theatre. To the west of the theater are Louque's Gowns, the Frolic Room, Roger's Liquors, a Foster and Kleiser billboard with a clock promoting Chevrolet automobiles, Harry Skepner's pharmacy, and a California Bank branch; to the east of the theater (right of center) is the A.E. England Pontiac dealership.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1949)* - Postcard view of Hollywood and Vine looking north. The Hotel Knickerbocker can be seen in the upper left. Melody Lane Restaurant is on the northwest corner. Note the curved one-arm streetlght. Click HERE to see more in Early L.A. Streetlights.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1940s)*# – View showing a sailor standing by a man holding a newspaper next to a small newspaper stand on the southeast corner of Hollywood and Vine. The Melody Lane Restaurant and Hotel Knickerbocker are seen in the background. Note the traffic signal and stop sign.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1940s)^^- Hollywood night scene looking south on Vine Street past the Hollywood Plaza Hotel. Included are: Taft Building, Bowling, Equitable Building.  Photo by Dick Whittington  

 

 

 

 

 
(1940s)^** – Postcard night view looking south on Vine Street at Hollywood Boulevard the Taft Building and Owl Rexall Drugs (at left) and Broadway-Hollywood Building (at right), and the Brown Derby and Tom Breneman's Hollywood Restaurant in the distance.  

 

 

 

Sunset and Vine

 
(1940s)^^^ - Postcard view looking north on Vine Street from Sunset Boulevard. A multitude of signs and signboards can be seen throughout.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1940s)*# - View looking north on Vine Street at Sunset Boulevard. Building signage includes (r to l): NBC, KNBH Television, Taft Building, Broadway-Hollywood, Hollywood Plaza Hotel and Tom Breneman's Restaurant.  

 

Historical Notes

KNBH (standing for “NBC Hollywood”) signed on in January 1949. It was the last of NBC’s five original owned-and-operated stations to sign on. It marked the debut of NBC television programs from the West Coast. The station changed its call letters to KRCA (for NBC’s then-parent company, the Radio Corporation of America) in 1954. The call letters were changed again in 1962, when NBC moved the KNBC identity from its San Francisco radio station (which became KNBR) and applied it to channel 4 in Los Angeles.*#^#*

In the 1940s and 1950s when many broadcast studios were located on or near Vine Street the Hollywood Plaza Hotel became popular with radio people. George Burns even had offices at the top of the hotel. The popular radio DJ Johnny Grant did his show from the Hollywood Plaza Bar. Grant also did a radio show from midnight - 4:00 a.m. in the nearby Ham and Eggers Restaurant.

 

CBS Radio Playhouse and Al Levy's Tavern

 
(1941)^^^ - Postcard view showing the CBS Radio Playhouse at the Vine Street Theatre with Al Levy’s Tavern on the right. The Hollywood Plaza Hotel is out of view to the right.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1886, Al Levy first operated an Oyster Bar Pushcart, selling his delicacies to patrons of the Grand Opera House and other theatres. He imported his oysters from San Francisco, which required re-icing four times on the trip by train.

Eventually, Al Levy was able to open his Oyster House on Fifth and String Streets, later the site of the Alexandria Hotel.

His second and larger restaurant, located at Third and Main Streets, became a center of fashionable night life in 1906.

The third site, on Spring Street between Seventh and Eighth Streets was complete with large banquet rooms that became the favorite location for most important dinner functions in Los Angeles.

This was followed by Al Levy’s Tavern at 1623 North Vine Street in the heydays of Hollywood. Political, Civic, Community, and Hollywood celebrations, more often than not, chose Al Levy’s whenever possible.  The tavern was damaged by a 1941 fire and eventually became a Mike Lyman's chain.+^*

 

CBS Radio Playhouse and Mike Lyman's Grill

 
(ca. 1941)* - Exterior view of CBS Radio Playhouse (aka Vine Street Theatre), 1615 Vine Street. Located in the same building, on the left is Miller's Hollywood, on the right is British Bootmakers. Next door on the right is Mike Lyman's Play Room (formerly Al Levy's Tavern).  

 

Historical Notes

Al Levy's Tavern was damaged by a 1941 fire and became a Mike Lyman's chain, which closed in 1959, according to an LA Times article from the same year.^#^#^

Mike Lyman was a former vaudeville entertainer from Chicago who opened his first Mike Lyman’s Grill in downtown LA in 1935. There he hired the chef from Maxim's in Paris hoping to ensure culinary success. Lyman opened a second Mike Lyman’s Grill in Hollywood and also created the Flight Deck, the first restaurant at what was then the Los Angeles Municipal Airport. Lyman’s restaurants were loyally populated by the A-Listers from the worlds of show biz and sports.^+^

Today, a multi-story parking garage is located where Al Levy's Tavern and Mike Lyman's Grill once stood, between the old Vine Street Theatre (Ricardo Montalbán Theater) and the Hollywood Plaza Hotel.

Click HERE for contemporary view.

 

* * * * *

 

Capital Records and Coffee Dan's

 
(ca. 1948)^##* – View looking toward the west side of Vine Street north of Sunset Boulevard.  From left to right is Capitol Records, Coffee Dan’s (1511 N. Vine Street), Beni Gerson (tailor shop) and Alexander Stationers.  Out of view to the right is Tom Brenemen’s Restaurant. The car parked outside Alexander Stationers is a 1948 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1956, Capitol Records would move into its new 13-story Capitol Records Building located at 1750 N. Vine Street.

Alan Hess, the author of Googie: Fifties Coffeeshop Architecture, traces Googie Architecture back to three Coffee Dan's restaurants designed by John Lautner in the early forties.

"He selected the vaults and glass walls and trusses and angles of his buildings to fit the original, often unusual, concepts of space he favored," writes Hess.

 

Tom Breneman's Restaurant

 
(ca. 1947)^** - View of Tom Breneman's Own Restaurant, located on the west side of Vine Street, north of Sunset Boulevard. Beni Gerson Tailor Shop and Alexander Stationers can be seen on the left.  

 

Historical Notes

Tom Breneman was host of the show Breakfast in Hollywood which aired on the Blue Network, ABC, NBC and Mutual at various times from 1941 to 1948. His  program went through numerous title changes but was best known as Breakfast in Hollywood (1948-49). By the mid-1940s, Breneman had ten million listeners. The popularity of the radio program was such that he created his own magazine, and in 1945 he opened his own establishment that carried his name.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1947)*^ - Tom Breneman's Restaurant was located on Vine Street off Sunset. Breneman broadcast his Breakfast in Hollywood radio program from here in the late 1940s.  

 

Historical Notes

At the age of 46, Breneman died April 28, 1948, in Encino, California, and other hosts, including Garry Moore, stepped in as replacements, but without Breneman, the ratings dropped, and the program came to an end in January 1949.*^

Later in 1949, American Broadcasting Company moved into the building with its AM radio station (KECA).

 

* * * * *

 

 

Warner Brothers Theatre

 
(1937)* - Cars line the street in this nighttime view of Wilcox from Selma looking north towards Hollywood Boulevard, which captures the Warner Brothers Hollywood Theatre in the distance.  

 

Historical Notes

Architect G. Albert Lansburgh designed the Renaissance Revival style Warner Brothers Hollywood Theatre, which opened in 1928. The office space on the upper floors of the building became KFWB radio studios, which used the two radio masts on top of the theater. The building has also been known as the Warner Cinerama Theatre and the Pacific Hollywood Theatre.*

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)* - Hollywood Blvd. looking east from Wilcox. On the north side of the boulevard are the Warner Bros. Theatre and the Security Trust and Savings Bank, which is located on the northeast corner of Cahuenga and Hollwyood..  

 

* * * * *

 

 

Hollywood and Chauenga Blvds

 
(ca. 1940)^^ - View looking at the southeast corner of Cahuenga Boulevard and Hollywood Boulevard.  Some of the legible signs include:  Owl Drug Store, Security Trust and Savings Bank, Dr. Green, Berger's Fashions for Men, The Broadway-Hollywood, Nancy's, and Lloyds.  

 

 

 

 
(1943)#**# – Close-up view showing the building on the  southeast corner of Cahuenga and Hollywood boulevards. Owl Drug Store is on the ground floor with Drs. Green and Chase (Dentists) on the second floor.  The building still exists today.  Click HERE for contemporary view.  

 

 

 

 
(1949)* - View looking west on Hollywood Boulevard from just east of Cahuenga Boulevard. Seen are the Warner Bros. Theatre (later Hollywood Pacific Theatre), a Pacific Electric streetcar, various businesses, a Foster and Kleiser billboard for Pleasant Moments whisky, and the Hollywood branch of Security-First National Bank (the Security Trust and Savings Bank).  

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1948)* - Looking east on Hollywood Blvd. at night during the holiday season. The Broadway-Hollywood is visible in the background on the right and the Warner Pacific Theatre is seen on the left. Pacific Electric streetcar tracks run in both directions down the center of the boulevard.  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1948)^^^ – Postcard view looking north toward the intersection of Hollywood and Vine as seen from the front of the Broadway-Hollywood. The Taft Building can be seen across the street on the southeast corner and the Equitable Building stands tall on the northeast corner.  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1949)##^* – Roofline view over the Brown Derby Restaurant looking north on Vine Street.  Traffic is backed up all the way from Hollywood Boulevard where you can see crowds of people gathering for some event, possibly a parade.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1949)^^^ - Postcard view looking north on Vine Street just south of Sunset Boulevard. NBC's Hollywood Radio City can be seen on the corner.  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1949)* - Taken from across the street, this view captures the National Broadcasting Company Studios, located on the northeast corner of Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1964 the West Coast Radio City building was demolished, as NBC moved more of their West Coast television operations to the Burbank facility. The site is now occupied by a bank.*^

 

Don Lee Mutual Broadcasting Studios

 
(ca. 1949)* - View showing the Mutual-Don Lee Broadcasting Studio located at 1313 North Vine Street.  

 

Historical Notes

The building opened on August 18, 1948, as the headquarters of the Mutual-Don Lee broadcast empire. Designed by Claud Beelman -- the architect behind such local landmarks as the Hollywood Post Office, Eastern Columbia Building and the Culver Hotel -- and his associate, Herman Spackler, it was larger than its compact, three-story profile suggested. Inside were 14 separate broadcast studios, including four large sound stages with auditorium seating for live audiences.^^^#

 

 

 
(ca. 1949)#**# – View looking north on Vine Street showing a woman walking toward a group of people in front of the Mutual-Don Lee Broadcasting Studio.  

 

Historical Notes

The Don Lee Mutual Building at 1313 Vine is an 118,000 square-foot building that was a state-of-the-art broadcast facility for radio and television. It was the culmination of a broadcasting dynasty begun by Don Lee, who held the franchises for California and Nevada Cadillac dealerships, fostered Los Angeles radio, and was a leading pioneer of television on the West Coast.+^^

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1950)^^^ – Postcard view showing the Mutual Don Lee Broadcasting Studios, now the “New Hollywood Home of KHJ” among others. Note the window display of a "new" Cadillac in front of building.  

 

Historical Notes

Though the building was never used for selling Cadillacs, the windows provided direct advertising for the latest models of the owner’s other business.+^^

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1964)^^^# - View showing the Don Lee Mutual Broadcasting Studios with a KCET Channel 28 sign on the front of the building.  

 

Historical Notes

KCET was the first Los Angeles station devoted exclusively to educational programming when it signed on the air on September 28, 1964.  It was also among the city's first UHF channels. Other stations had already claimed the available VHF channels -- 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 -- and so KCET broadcasted at Channel 28 on a frequency not all television sets were then equipped to receive.

ABC acquired the facility in 1970 and produced such shows as "The Dating Game" and "The Newlywed Game" there. In the 1990s AIDS Project Los Angeles moved in, and since 2002 the historic Mutual-Don Lee Building has housed the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science's Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study and the Academy Film Archive.^^^#

 

Tiny Naylor's Restaurant

 
(1949)* - View of several customers parked at Tiny Naylor's Restaurant and Drive-in, located on the northwest corner of Sunset and La Brea. This is the same corner where McDonnell's Drive-in once stood in the 1930s and early 1940s.  

 

Historical Notes

Tiny Naylors was one of California's original family-style restaurants founded by W.W. "Tiny" Naylor. Naylor got the nick name "Tiny" because he was 6'4" and weighted 320 lbs. #^**

 

 

 
(1952)*# – View showing a couple in an MG being served at Tiny Naylors.  Photo by Julius Shulman  

 

 

 

 

 
(1950s)^#^^ – Close-up view looking at the northwest corner of Sunset and La Brea showing Tiny Naylors and homes that still stood on the west side of La Brea.  The house in the background is now a strip mall.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1980)* - Night view of Tiny Naylor's restaurant, located at Sunset Boulevard (left) and La Brea Avenue (foreground). Photo by Roy Hankey  

 

Historical Notes

Designed by Douglas Honnold in 1949, this establishment remained open until 1984 when it was demolished to make room for a shopping center. Today an El Pollo Loco stands at the corner.*

Click HERE to see more Early Views of LA Drive-in Restaurants.

 

Carolina Pines Jr. Restaurant

 
(1950s)##^* – View looking toward the northeast corner of Sunset and La Brea showing a Standard Station and, further north, the Carolina Pines Jr. Restaurant.  

 

 

 

 
(1950s)*^#^* - Postcard view showing the Carolina Pines Jr. Restaurant located at 1518 N. La Brea, just north of Sunset Boulevard. Note the pine trees on the other side of the restaurant.  

 

Historical Notes

Carolina Pines Jr. was a “Googie” style modern diner located near the northeast corner of Sunset and La Brea from 1952 until the early 1960s. The restaurant was flooded with lights at night and was open 24 hours a day. What distinguished this coffee shop from the others was their menu was all "Southern Style" cooking and you could order your breakfast eggs with grits and biscuits. The restaurant was named after the pine trees just a few yards north of the restaurant, which remain there to this day. In the late 1960s, the restaurant was remodeled and was a "Copper Penny" coffee shop, a chain owned by IHOP. The building was finally torn down for the present day mall.*^

There was also a second location at 525 South Vermont Ave.

 

 

 
(ca. 1978)##^* – View looking northeast from the corner of Sunset Boulevard and La Brea Avenue showing Tiny Naylor’s Restaurant and the Copper Penny Coffee Shop (previously Carolina Pines Jr. Restaurant).  

 

Historical Notes

The menus at the Copper Penny Coffee Shop were printed on huge plastic copper pennies with a very good selection of breakfasts.

Click HERE to see contemporary view of Sunset and La Brea.

 

Biff's Coffee Shop

 
(ca. 1949)**## – View of Biff’s Coffee Shop on the corner of Cahuenga Blvd. and Yucca Street.  

 

Historical Notes

Although Tiny Naylor was best known for his Tiny Naylors restaurant chains, his first restaurant was Biff’s – named after his son, in 1948.  It was located on the corner of Cahuenga and Yucca in Hollywood.

Tiny Naylor died in 1959. The Naylor family purchased Du Par's in 2004, which it still owns and operates. Du-par's expanded in 2009 to include several locations from the bankrupt Bakers Square chain.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1956)*# – View of the intersection of Cahuenga Blvd. and Yucca St. The Halifax Hotel is seen on the northwest corner and the Capitol Records Building in the background.  Notice the Biff’s sign on the lower left.  

 

Historical Notes

The Halifax was known for it's gangster clientel in the 1930's and 1940's. Across the street, on the north side of Yucca (next to the Richfield station) was the apartment building where Ed Wood lived when he filmed most of his movies.

The cool little Googie restaurant on the north side of Yucca Street was across from the Green Apartments, where Carol Burnett lived with her grandmother while attending Hollywood High in the 1950's.*#

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

 
(1948)* - Aerial view of the San Fernando Valley. View shows the "HOLLYWOODLAND" sign on the mountain. The letter "H" is missing. Within months of the time this photo was taken the sign would be shortened to read "HOLLYWOOD". Photo dated: December 13, 1948.  

 

Historical Notes

The HOLLYWOODLAND sign was erected in 1923 to advertise a new housing development in the hills above the Hollywood district of Los Angeles. In 1949 the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce contracted to repair and rebuild the sign. The contract stipulated that “LAND” be removed to reflect the district, not the housing development.*

 

 

 
(ca. 1949)##^* – View looking north near the intersection of Yucca St and Ivar Ave (lower-left) showing the Hollywood Hills and Hollywood Sign. Note that the "LAND" has been removed from the sign. At right stands the Art Deco style Mountain States Life Insurance Building, built in 1929.  

 

 

 

Cahuenga Pass

 
(ca. 1930s)^^ - Panoramic aerial view of Hollywood showing the Chauenga Pass as it heads towards the San Fernando Valley.  The major street running from bottom left diagonally up toward the Cahuenga Pass is Highland.  The Security Pacific Bank building tower on Hollywood and Highland can be seen at left-center of photo.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1940)++^ – View showing the Cahuenga Pass Freeway looking southwest toward Hollywood with the Mulholland Drive overcrossing at center. The Pacific Electric Railway tracks are visible in the median.  

 

Historical Notes

The first segment of the Hollywood Freeway built was a one and a half mile stretch through the Cahuenga Pass. That segment opened on June 15, 1940. It was then known as the "Cahuenga Pass Freeway." Pacific Electric Railway trolleys ran down the center of this freeway until 1952.*^

 

 

 
(1943)^^ - View of Cahuenga Pass with light traffic on February 16, 1943. Note the Pacific Eletric tracks.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1947)*^#* – Postcard view showing the Cahuenga Pass Freeway (later Hollywood Freeway), the “Gateway to Hollywood", with Mulholland Drive winding up into the Hollywood Hills in the upper-right.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1947)##^* - View of Cahuenga Pass looking towards Hollywood at the Mulholland Bridge.  

 

 

 

 
(1948)^^ - View looking toward the San Fernando Valley showing a rare sight - freshly fallen snow in Cahuenga Pass.   

 

Historical Notes

Snow is a rare occurrence in the Los Angeles Basin. While it's common in the region's mountains, the moderating effect of the Pacific means that at lower elevations temperatures rarely fall below the point necessary to create snow. Since records were first kept in 1921, snow has fallen on downtown Los Angeles only ten times—and not once since 1962.

 

 

 
(1948)* - View of Cahuenga Pass showing one road of cars end to end heading into the City from the San Fernando Valley during rush hour traffic. Note the Pacific Red Car tracks at left.  

 

 

 

 
(1948)#**# - View looking southeast showing Pacific Red Car, tracks, and station at center of Cahuenga Pass.  

 

Historical Notes

The view above is from the top of Barham Bridge which at the time had a stairway running down to the tracks.

 

 

 

 

 

(ca. 1948)++^ - View looking northwest showing a Pacific Red Car stopped at the Barham Station with the Barham Bridge in the background.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then and Now

 
 
(1948)#**# - (2015)*### - View looking southeast from the top of Barham Bridge in Caheunga Pass.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1949)* - Early morning view of Cahenga Pass as cars head into Hollywood and metropolitan Los Angeles from the San Fernando Valley.  

 

 

 

 
(1949)* - View of the roads, rail lines, and cars traveling through the Cahuenga Pass, the most important section of the Hollywood Freeway, which is the "gateway" that opens fast traffic from the San Fernando Valley into Hollywood and the heart of metropolitan Los Angeles. The short city-built Cahuenga Pass Freeway was opened on June 15, 1940.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1950)^#^^ - A Pacific Red Car returning from the San Fernando Valley travels along the Cahuenga Pass toward Hollywood.  

 

 

 

 
(1952)^^ -  View of Cahuenga Pass during rush hour traffic on a rainy morning.  

 

 

 

 
(1952)##^* – View of the Lankershim Boulevard underpass at the Hollywood Freeway, showing two Pacific Electric Red Cars passing each other above.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1952)*^# - A Pacific Electric Red Car headed south in the median of the Hollywood Freeway near Barham.  

 

Historical Notes

1952 was the last year Pacific Electric Railway trolleys ran down the center of the "Cahuenga Pass Freeway", (Hollywood Freeway).*^

 

 

Click HERE to see more Early Views of Cahuenga Pass

 

 

 

 

 
(1952)* - This scene is just two blocks north of the famous intersection of Hollywood and Vine, the "Heart of Hollywood." Steel reinforced columns jutting from the hillside will soon support new, wide ribbons of concrete approaching Cahuenga Boulevard. Freeway will be a boon to Valley motorists who use Cahuenga Pass. Click HERE to see more in Early Views of the San Fernando Valley.  

 

 

 

 
(1952)*# - Looking southeast towards a new bridge over Cahuenga Boulevard during the construction of the Hollywood Freeway with the Hollywood Tower in the background.  

 

 

 

 
(1953)^*^# – View showing the construction of the 101 Freeway through Hollywood at Argyle Avenue. The intersection of Yucca Street and Argyle Avenue is at lower-left. You can see the Castle Argyle and the Hollywood Tower at right. Source: Life Magazine  

 

 

 

 
(1953)*# – Aerial view looking west showing the construction of the Hollywood Freeway through Hollywood.  The intersection of Argyle and Yucca is at the center of the photo and the Hollywood Tower is in the foreground on the right. Source: Life Magazine. Click HERE to see GOOGLE EARTH contemporary view.  

 

 

 

 
(1952)* - Eastbound streetcar and motor traffic uses the new Hollywood Boulevard bridge spanning the yet to be completed Hollywood Freeway near Bronson Avenue.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1953)* - View, looking north, showing the construction progress of the Hollywood Freeway through Cahuenga Pass.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1953)* - View of Cahuenga Pass. All Highland Avenue detour traffic now pours into Cahuenga Boulevard while work continues on the northerly links of the Hollywood Freeway. The new link, of course, also discharges its travelers onto Cahuenga.  

 

Historical Notes

The second section of the Hollywood Freeway that stretched from the San Fernando Valley to Downtown Los Angeles opened on April 16, 1954 at a cost of $55 million.*^

 

 

 
(1954)* - The 101 appears to be open, but the bridge over Highland Avenue is still under construction in January 1954.  

 

 

 

 
(1954)* - View looking north at Cahuenga Boulevarfd in front of the Hollywood Bowl, shortly before the second segment of the Hollywood Freeway was completed. Automobiles are backed, bumper to bumper for miles, as the final stages of construction wrap up.  

 

 

 

 
(1940)* - Night view of the statue and sign at the Hollywood Bowl entrance on July 10, 1940.  

 

 

Click HERE to see more in Early Views of the Hollywood Bowl

 

 

 

 

 
(1945)*# - "Los Angeles Life Fun Map" distributed by Santa Fe Bus Lines and the Glass House Restaurant. Map highlights all the must see places in Los Angeles during the 1940s (i.e. Hollywood Bowl at very top of photo and also the Pantages Theatre at top right-center).  

 

 

 

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

More Historical Early Views

 

 

Newest Additions

 

 

Early LA Buildings and City Views

 

 

History of Water and Electricity in Los Angeles

 

 

* * * * *

 

References and Credits

* LA Public Library Image Archive

^^ USC Digital Library

^*California Historic Landmark Listing (Los Angeles)

^ California Historical Society Digital Archive

** Retronaut - Hollywoodland Sign

#* Pinterest - California and DailyBreeze.com; Mid Century Hollywood; Been There: Hollywod Sign

*^#LosAngelesPast.com: Cahuenga Pass

^^#LA Times: 'Swing in, pig out, drive off'; Hollywood Bond Cavalcade; Sunset Vine Tower; Taft Building; Pickwick Bookshop

^#^UCLA Digital Archives

***The Story of Hollywood by Gregory Paul Williams

**^Table Magazine: LA Observatory

**+Hollywood Renegades Archive: "The Lot"

++^US101 - Socalregion.com

**#Beguiling Hollywood: The Hollywood Hotel

^**Huntington Digital Library Archive

*^*MTA Transportation and Research Library Archives

^^*Cinema Treasures:Ricardo Montabaln Theater

^^^California State Library Image Archive

^*^LA Street Names - LA Times

^+^Cool Culinaria: Restaurateur Mike Lyman

+^*Jewish Museum of the American West: Restaurateur Al Levy

+^^Don Lee Mutual Broadcasting Building

++#Facebook.com: Photos of Los Angeles

****Wehadfacesthen.tumblr.com

**^^Radio City Hollywood

*^^*Photos of Vintage Los Angeles: Facebook.com; Palladium; Capitol Records; Cruising Hollywood Blvd; Masonic Temple; Hody's Coffee Shop

*^#*Calisphere: University of California Image Archive

*^*#Pinterest.com: Favorite Places and Spaces

**^*LA Daily News: Hollywood Sign Celebrates its 90th Birthday

***#Art Deco Architecture: LA Radio City

**##MartinTurnbull: Cross Roads of the World; Biff's Coffee Shop

^^##Alison Martino's Vintage Los Angeles: Wallichs Music City

++##Grauman's Chinese.org: Academy Awards

*#^^Flickr.com - Daniel Pouliot

*##*Squidoo.com: Lawrence Welk

*##^The Daily Meal: Formosa Cafe

^##*Flickr.com: Michael Ryerson; Baytram366; Melody Lane

^###Uncanny.net: Hollywood Pacific Electric Line

^#*#Bellaonline.com: Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland

^#^*Flickr.com: Los Angeles - Back in the Day

^#^^Facebook.com - Vintage LA: Hollywood Palladium; Hollywood and Gower; Hollywood and Vine; Sunset & Vine; Capitol Records Building; United Methodist Church; Hollywood Ranch Market; Wallich's Music City; Tiny Naylors

^^#^History of the Samuel Goldwyn Studio

^^^#KCET's First Hollywood Home: The Historic Mutual-Don Lee Studios

#^**The Go Go's: Local Coffee Shops and Diners

^*#*Pinterest - Memories in the SFV 50's, 60's, & 70's

^**#Hollywood Bowl Philpedia

^*##Vintage Inspired California - marinachetner.com

^*^^Pomona Public Library Poscard Collection

^*^#Facebook.com - Bizarre Los Angeles

#**^Starlinetours.com: TLC Chinese Theatre

#**#Facebook.com: Garden of Allah Novels, Martin Turnbull

#*^#Historic Hollywood Theatres: Warner Bros. Hollywood Theatre

#^*#TheHollywoodMuseum.com: Max Factor Building

#^**The Go Go's: N/W Corner of Hollywood and Vine

#^^^Once Upon a Screen: Hollywood Canteen

#^#^Groceteria.com: A&P History

##**The Story of the Hollywood Sign: allanellenberger.com

##*^The Hollywood Sign: hollywoodsign.org

##*#Flickr.com: Paul Bajerczak

#*##Electric Railway Historic Association: Hollywood PE Line

+###Dear Old Hollywood Blogspot

##^*Facebook.com: Classic Hollywood-Los Angeles-SFV

##^^halfcoastal.com: The Hollywood Sign

***^Pinterest: Travel The World: 'HOLLYWEED'; Los Angeles and Hollywood

*^^ Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles:  Vogue Theater; Hollywood Blvd Night 1930s; Hollywood and Vine ca.56

*^*^#Facebook.com: West San Fernando Valley Then And Now

^^***Pinterest: Diners

^^*^*Los Angeles Magazine: Capitol Records Building Christmas

^^*^^sittininthehills64.blogspot.com: Hollywood Views

*^^**Blogspot.com: Hollywood HoJo

*^#^*Vintage Everyday

*#^#*Broadcast Archive: KNBH

^#^#^LA Curbed: Al Levy's Tavern

^###^Flickr.com: timetravelnow

*# Skyscraperage.com. - Griffith Observatory; CBS West Coast Headquarters; LA Fun Map; NBC Hollywood Radio City; Cross Roads of the World; Hollywood and Vine; Orchid Ave and Hollywood Blvd; Max Factor Building; Cahuenga and Yucca St.; Vine and Sunset; Tiny Naylors; Hollywood Frwy Construction at Argyle

*^ Wikipedia: Hollywood; Hollywood Athletic Club; Hollywood Bowl; Grauman's Chinese Theatre; Grauman's Egyptian Theatre; Pantages Theatre (Hollywood); John Hanson Ford Theatre; 20th Century Fox; Samuel Goldwyn.Studio; Barnsdall Art Park; Greek Theatre; Griffith Observatory; Cinerama Dome; Ralphs; Hollywood Palladium; Hollywood and Vine; Hollywood Masonic Temple; Hollywood Pacific Theatre; Max Factor; West Hollywood; Brown Derby; Hollywood Christmas Parade; Tom Breneman; Schwab's Pharmacy; Capitol Records Building; CBS Columbia Square; West Coast Radio City - Los Angeles; Crossroads of the World; Hollywood Sign; Lawrence Welk; Du-Par's Restaurant; Formosa Cafe; Hollywood Walk of Fame; Marilyn Monroe; John C. Austin; KFWB; The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl; 2005 Hollywood Sign; Rexall - Owl Drug Store; Hollywood Canteen; KABC; Wallichs Music City; Thrifty Drug Stores; Lasky-DeMille Barn; Mt. Lee; The Wizard of Oz ; Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel; Eddie Cochran; Guarantee Building; Hollywood United Methodist Church; Carolina Pines, Jr.; Vista Theatre

 

< Back