Early Views of San Pedro and Wilmington

Historical Photos of San Pedro and Wilmington

 
(1918)#^^ - Postcard view of the steamboat S.S. Yale passing by the Los Angeles Harbor Lighthouse.  

 

Historical Notes

The Los Angeles Harbor Light (also known as Angels Gate Light) was built in 1913 at the end of the San Pedro breakwater. The original plan for the lighthouse was a wooden, square, two-story building like those constructed for Oakland Harbor and Southampton Shoals. However, the plans were changed and the Los Angeles Light was firmly anchored to the concrete block and built of steel reinforced concrete. It is the only lighthouse ever built to this design. The original paint on the lighthouse was only white which caused a problem with seeing the lighthouse building during fog. Vertical black stripes were added for increased visibility.

* * * * *

SS Yale, a coastal passenger steamship, was built by the Delaware River Iron Shipbuilding and Engine Works in 1906. In March 1918 the U.S. Navy acquired her from the Pacific Steamship Company of Seattle, Washington, placing her in commission later in that month as USS Yale.

USS Yale served between March 1918 and September 1919. During World War I, the steamboat made 31 round-trip voyages transporting troops between Britain and France. Yale was decommissioned in early September 1919 and, in June 1920, sold for commercial operation along the Pacific Coast.*^

 

 

 

 
(1938)**** – Postcard view showing the Chichibu Maru passing by the Harbor Lighthouse as it leaves Los Angeles Harbor.  

 

Historical Notes

Since 1913, the light has stood, but a 5-day storm in 1939 caused it to tilt inland a bit.

* * * * *

Built in 1930, the Chichibu Maru was a Japanese passenger, later renamed Kamakura Maru.  Before the war, the ship carried passengers between Yokohama and San Francisco. In 1942 she was confiscated by the Imperial Japanese Navy to serve as a troop transport ship, and also as hospital ship. On April 28, 1943, the Kamakura Maru, sailing from Manila to Singapore and carrying some 2,500 soldiers and civilians, was torpedoed by the US submarine USS Gudgeon. The ship was hit by two torpedoes and sank within 12 minutes. Four days later, 465 survivors were rescued from the sea by Japanese ships, meaning some 2,035 people were killed.*^

 

 

 

 
(n.d.)^* - Postcard view showing the Breakwater and Lighthouse at Los Angeles Harbor.  

 

Historical Notes

The lighthouse was built around twelve steel columns and sits at the end of the 9,250-foot San Pedro breakwater. The base of the structure is octagonal and covered with steel plates, while the upper section is cylindrical and built using cement plaster on metal lath. ^*

 

 

 

 
(2008)*^ – View of the Los Angeles Harbor Light, also known as lighthouse, at San Pedro Breakwater in Los Angeles Harbor.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1980, the lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is also listed as Los Angeles Light in the USCG Lights list.*^

 

 

 
(n.d.)^^ – Picturesque view showing yachts sailing around the Los Angeles Harbor Lighthouse.  

 

Historical Notes

By 2011, the years of exposure has led to rusted through walls, broken windows, cracked masonry, and leaks during storms. In cooperation with the Coast Guard, the Cabrillo Beach Boosters Club completed a $1.8 million overhaul of the exterior, funded by the Port of Los Angeles. The overhaul was completed in May of 2012. A $1.2 million overhaul of the interior is planned.*^

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1913)^^ - Exterior view of the Southern Pacific Passenger Station on the San Pedro waterfront.  

 

 

 

 
(1913)* - The Port of Los Angeles in 1913. The harbor appears to be filled to capacity with steam ships and train cars are full of cargo.  

 

Historical Notes

Lumber was in enormous demand as a result of the growing towns surrounding San Pedro.*^^

 

 

 
(1915)#*^ - View looking north up the East Channel toward 22nd Street in San Pedro, showing spectators on the wharf between Berths 51-53, February 11, 1915.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1915)^^ - View of the Los Angeles Harbor at night. The silhouette of maintenance and shipping buildings are visible on a small wharf in the foreground, while small schooners and sloops can be seen anchored out in the harbor behind them. Dead Man's Island is visible at left at the end of the breakwater, while a smaller patch of water is visible in the foreground, edged by a guard rail. The moon is hidden by the clouds.  

 

 

U.S. Naval Fleet at San Pedro Harbor

 
(1919)#^* - (Left Panel) Panoramic view showing the U.S. Naval Fleet docked at San Pedro Harbor.  

 

Historical Notes

Woodrow Wilson transferred half of the 200 United States Navy ships from the Atlantic to the Pacific in 1919 when tension arose between the United States and Japan over the fate of China. San Diego Bay was considered too shallow for the largest ships, so the battleships anchored in San Pedro Bay on August 9, 1919. Local availability of fuel oil minimized transportation costs, and consistently good weather allowed frequent gunnery exercises off the nearby Channel Islands of California. ##*

 

 

 

 
(1919)#^* - (Right Panel) Panoramic view showing the U.S. Naval Fleet docked at San Pedro Harbor.  

 

Historical Notes

From 1919 until 1940, San Pedro Harbor was the U.S. Naval Fleet home port. ##*

 

 

 

 
(1920)^** – View showing U.S. Navy submarines at San Pedro.  LA Times Photo date:  Feb. 20, 1920  

 

Historical Notes

The submarine base at San Pedro was closed in 1923.

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1925)^** – View showing the battleship Oklahoma in Los Angeles Harbor with the Harbor Lighthouse in the background on the left.  

 

Historical Notes

Between 1927 and 1929 the ship was modernized with new tripod masts and five-inch guns.  The Oklahoma was sunk at Pearl Harbor and too badly damaged to be repaired, ^**

 

 

 

 
(1926)^** - Sailors disembark from craft during mock invasion of the harbor in San Pedro.  Eight thousands sailors and Marines landed with machine guns and artillery.  Photo appeard in the Jan. 23, 1926, Los Angeles Times.  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1920)^** – Photo of the battleship California at anchor at Los Angeles Harbor in San Pedro.   

 

Historical Notes

The ship was sunk during the attack on Pearl Harbor, but rebuilt and participated in World War II. ^**

 

 

 

 
(1929)^** – Visitors mix with sailors on the battleship California during Navy Day.  The Harbor Lighthouse is seen in the background. This photo appeared in the Oct. 29, 1929, Los Angeles Times.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1932)^** – Panoramic view showing cars parked between Point Fermin and White Point in San Pedro during the annual Navy Fleet Parade along the Southern California coast.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1932)^** – View showing a column of warships during the annual Fleet Parade at San Pedro.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1938)^** - Panoramic aerial view showing a portion of the 100 U.S. Navy ships anchored behind the 26,000-foot breakwater off San Pedro.  Photo Date: Jan. 31, 1938  

 

Historical Notes

A large portion of the Pacific Battle Fleet would call the Port of Los Angeles its home port from 1919 until 1940, San Diego being another home port.  The San Pedro port featured local availability of fuel oil – saving money – and good weather allowing frequent gunnery exercises.  During the summer of 1940, as part of the U.S. response to Japanese expansionism, the Pacific Fleet was instructed to take an "advanced" position at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.  The rest is history.

 

 

 

 
(1938)^** – U.S. Navy ships light up the sky during annual Harbor Day ceremonies in San Pedro.  

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

San Pedro Fishing Industry

 
(ca. 1900)* - Crowds of people can be seen on both sides of the harbor, possible event in the harbor. California Fish Co. is in the middle of the photo. Stacks of lumber is piled on railroad cars that are parked in foreground.  

 

Historical Notes

The fishing industry was beginning to pick up steam around the turn of the century. In 1893, Golden Gate Packing Company moved its operations from San Francisco to Los Angeles and reestablished itself as the California Fish Company. This became L.A. Harbor's first cannery.*^^

In 1903, a technique of preparing and canning was developed to can sardines, mackerel, bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna and albacore. In 1912 the first fresh fish market was introduced in San Pedro and along with other markets that followed, they eventually supplied fresh and iced fish throughout our nation.^^#

 

 

 

 
(1916)* - View of fishing boats anchored along the docks in the harbor, with fishing nets drying on the docks. The breakwaters can be seen on the right. A house stands alone in the background.   

 

Historical Notes

In 1912, Wilbur Wood opened the California Tuna Canning Company at Los Angeles Harbor. Two years later, Frank Van Camp bought the company and renamed it Van Camp Sea Food Company. This new company became best known for its Chicken of the Sea product line.*^^

 

 

 
(ca. 1920s)* - View of fishing boats anchored in L.A. Harbor.  

 

Historical Notes

Before long, flotillas of purse seine boats were sailing down from northern waters to fish in San Pedro. By 1920 there was a large fleet of fishing boats and methods of fishing such as purse seine, lampara, jig, live bait, gill net, mackerel scoopers and long line boats. Los Angeles Harbor became the largest fishing port in the nation. The fishing industry in San Pedro was originated primarily by European and Asian fishermen each bringing fishing knowledge from their native lands.^^#

 

 

 
(ca. 1920s)* - Group of fishermen mending their nets on the docks.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1935, following the depression, 6,000 people were directly employed in the fishing industry. Its payroll was the largest in San Pedro, approximately three-quarters of a million dollars per month. The industry was at its peak during World War II. During the fifties, sardines and mackerel gradually diminished causing the decline of the industry in San Pedro.^^#

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1920)^*^* - An early model auto is being loaded onto a ship in the San Pedro Harbor.  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1920)* - Scenic view of 6th Street in San Pedro. This street is a busy area with many retail stores on both sides of the street. There are two banks, two pool halls, a cafe, shoe store, drug store, a dentist, and even rooms for rent. Automobiles can be seen parked up and down the street.  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1920)#*^ - View of 6th Street in San Pedro, during the Cabrillo Day celebration.  

 

Historical Notes

Every September, San Pedro celebrates the discovery of its bay.  September 28 is the official “Cabrillo Day” in the state of California.

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1920s)#^** – Postcard view showing the Elks’ Club on the corner of Palos Verdes and 7th streets, San Pedro.  

 

Historical Notes

August 7, 1910 Los Angeles Herald article announcing the completion of the new Elks’ temple:

The new Elks’ temple just finished at San Pedro is one of the best buildings erected for several years in the harbor district.  It is built of brick, with red tile roof, and is plastered on the outside.  Complete with furniture, the structure represents an outlay of about $50,000.

Hudson & Munsell were the architects, and the contract was awarded on their specifications the first of the year.  The lower floor has two large store rooms facing on Palos Verdes, a billiard room, café, kitchen and pantry.  From Seventh Street through the main entrance a grand staircase leads to a large alcove on the second floor.  On one side is the lodge hall, 36x36 feet, with a stage 13x38 feet, ante rooms and a reading room.  On the other side is a large smoking room and the ladies’ reception room and parlor.  The third floor contains apartments for members of the lodge.

The formal dedication of the new building has been postponed until some of the furniture, damaged in shipment, has been repaired, but the club rooms are now open and San Pedro lodge, No. 966, is holding meetings in the new hall.
Recently the building was thrown open to the public, when two nights’ minstrel show was given in the new hall that was one of the most successful entertainments of the kind ever given in the city.  The hall seats 400.

 

 

 

 
(1919)^#* - View of Fire Boat No. 1, commissioned August 1, 1919.  

 

Historical Notes

Fire Boat No. 1 was purchased for $33,000 and is all wood construction, 65' long, 17.7' beam, 39.65 gross tons with a 400 gallon fuel capacity. Powered by a 275 H.P. Hall Scott Invader for propulsion and 2 275 H.P. Hall Scott Invaders each driving a 4 stage pump rated at 1000 G.P.M. for a total pumping capacity of 2000 G.P.M^#*.

 

 

 
(ca. 1919)^#* - Close-up view of Fire Boat No. 1 showing detail of hose equipment.  

 

Historical Notes

Originally stationed at the foot of First Street in San Pedro, Power Boat No. 1 was moved to Berth 260, Fish Harbor, Terminal Island On May 2, 1927.^#*

 

 

 
(1927)^#* - View of Fire Boat No. 1 Quarters on Terminal Island.  

 

Historical Notes

On April 25, 1927, Los Angeles Fire Boat No. 1 was moved from its old location at the foot of the First street wharf, San Pedro, to the new location in Fish Harbor. A new building and slip were erected to serve as new quarters for the boat.^#*

 

 

 
(ca. 1927)^#* - Side view of the new quarters for Fire Boat No. 1 on Terminal Island.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1955)^^** - View of Fire Boat No. 2 and Fire House No. 112.  

 

Historical Notes

The firehouse, completed in 1926, demolished in 1986, was located at Berth 227 on San Pedro's Terminal Island. It served as the homebase for Fire Boat No. 2, launched on October 20, 1925. Renamed the Ralph J. Scott in 1965, the boat today sits on land behind the new Fire House No. 112 at Berth 86.^^**

In 1976, both Fire Boat No. 2 and Fire House No. 112 were designated Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 154 (Click HERE to see complete listing).

 

 

 
(1921)^ - Aerial view of San Pedro Harbor in 1921. The port continues to expand and becomes the busiest seaport on the west coast.
 

 

Historical Notes

After the Panama Canal opened in 1914, the Port of Los Angeles became the natural port-of-call for most transpacific and coastal users.^^#

 

 

 
(1923)**# – Birdseye view of the Southland showing the beachfront communities between Santa Monica and Long Beach with the San Pedro Harbor in the foreground.  Note the undeveloped land between Los Angeles and the ocean.  At left can be seen the proposed site of a new Universtiy in Palos Verdes.  Turns out this was one of the sites proposed for the UCLA campus.  

 

Historical Notes

UCLA as well as Cal State Dominquez were both almost located in Rancho Palos Verdes: A section of 1,000 acres was originally set aside by the planners of the Palos Verdes Project for a University campus, In November 1921, a proposal was made for the relocation of the southern branch of the University of California , which later became UCLA. This land was in the center of the Palos Verdes Peninsula where Peninsula High School, the Peninsula Shopping Center, and the Avenue of the Peninsula Shopping Center is located.**#

 

 

 
(ca. 1924)* - Aerial view of Point Fermin, Palos Verdes and hills, government breakwaters and the outer harbor. Ships can be seen in the harbor.  

 

 

 

 
(1929)* - Aerial view of San Pedro, the LA Harbor, and the coastline.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1929)^^ - Close-up aerial view showing two of the piers at Los Angeles Harbor with a few large and small ships docked at center. Smoke can be seen coming from a building or ship towards the background, while buildings can be seen into the distance.  

 

 

 

 
(1924)* - Aerial view of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, looking southeast towards Point Fermin.  San Pedro Harbor can be seen in the background.  

 

 

 

 
(1934)* - Aerial view of Pt. Fermin.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)* - Looking northwest from Point Fermin, showing the palisades and coastline of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. San Pedro residences are visible on the hillsides in the background on the right.    

 

 

 

 
(1920s)* - Photo shows the dredging work going on at Deadman's Island.  

 

Historical Notes

Deadman’s Island was a San Pedro landmark, a rocky isle about 800-feet long, 250-feet wide, and over 60-feet high that guarded the entrance to Los Angeles Harbor. It was removed in the late 1920s to make room for large ships in the growing harbor.***^

 

 

 
(1928)* - Photo shows dredging machines hard at work at Deadman's Island.  

 

 

 

 
(1926)* - Panoramic photo of San Pedro Harbor in 1926. The United States Battle Fleet is anchored in the harbor.  

 

 

 

 
(1920s)^* - View of a half dozen men standing in front of a crane rig lifting a truck onto the bed of a larger truck. In the background is the Wilmington Transfer and Storage Co. building (now Bekins), located on the corner of West C Street and Fries Avenue.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1920s)* - Avalon Boulevard in Wilmington with the Wilmington Branch of the Security-First National Bank on the right side.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1921, Canal Street was renamed Avalon Boulevard. It is believed it took the name of the S.S. Avalon that was at the time tied up to the Catalina terminal, at the foot of Canal Street.*^#

 

 

 

 
(1921)* - Exterior view of the Pacific Electric Railway station in San Pedro, 1921.  

 

Historical Notes

PE's two-story San Pedro depot was opened in 1920, and succumbed to the wrecking ball in 1961. The new 6th Station on the Port of Los Angeles Waterfront Red Car Line is located just east of the former PE station site, adjacent to the entrance of the Maritime Museum.*^^*

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1928)^* - View of the 5th Street Landing at San Pedro Harbor. Several sailors in uniform are seen walking at right. Sign on top of building in the distance reads: War Ships  

 

 

 

 

 
(1928)#** – View showing Berth 158 at Los Angeles Harbor with cargo ship docked at left.  

 

 

 

 
(1928)^^ – View showing the S.S. California in Los Angeles Harbor.  The large ship floats in the rippling water at center with the long harbor behind her and smaller ships to either side.  

 

Historical Notes

The SS California was the World's first major ocean liner built with turbo-electric transmission. When launched in 1927 she was also the largest merchant ship yet built in the US, although she was a modest size compared with the biggest European liners of her era.

In March 1936 an unofficial strike aboard SS California in port at San Pedro, held without the sanction of the International Seamen's Union, led to the foundation of the National Maritime Union.

In 1938 California was renamed SS Uruguay.  From 1942 to 1946 she was operated through agents by the War Shipping Administration as the troopship Uruguay.  She was returned to civilian service as SS Uruguay in 1948, laid up in 1954 and scrapped in 1964.*^

 

 

 
(1928)#*^* – View looking northwest from the roof of the First Street wharf.  Cars are seen parked between the Pacific Electric tracks and train. In the distance on top of First Street, sits the Hotel San Pedro.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1903)^^ – Close-up view of the Hotel San Pedro (formerly the “Clarence Hotel”) with three people seen lounging on the porch. The hotel was later used as San Pedro Peninsula Hospital.   

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1930)^^ - View of Los Angeles Harbor showing a street car sitting on the tracks that intersect the road in the center. An intersection can be seen in the left foreground while smoke is seen billowing out of a smokestack in the center background. A large building behind the tracks sits next to the water and reads: "Harbor Belt Line Railroad General Office Berth 90".   Photoprint reads: "Los Angeles Harbor 1930 --with tonnage second only to New York Harbor.”  

 

 

 

 

 
(1930)* - The northeast corner of Avalon Boulevard and West E Street, Wilmington. J. H. Stockton Plumbing is seen, as well as the Halliday Hotel.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1934)#* -  Panoramic view of Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro on April 8, 1934. The beach is divided into two curved strands, one on each side of the breakwater. In between the two stretches of sand is a picnic area and the Cabrillo Beach Bath House.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1936)^#^^ – Postcard view of Cabrillo Beach and Bath House on a busy day with the Los Angeles Harbor breakwater in the background.  

 

Historical Notes

The Cabrillo Beach Bath House was originally built in 1932 and used for the 1932 Olympic Games. It was rehabilitated in 2002. #*#^

 

 

 

 
(1930s)* – View of Cabrillo Beach with the bathhouse in the distance as seen from up on the cliffs.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1993, the Cabrillo Beach Bathouse, located at 3720 Stephen White Drive, was dedicated LA Cultural-Monument No. 571 (Click HERE for complete listing).

 

* * * * *

 

San Pedro Branch of the LA Public Library

 
(ca. 1935)* - View of the second building to serve as the San Pedro Branch of the Los Angeles Public Library, located at 820 S. Beacon St.  

 

Historical Notes

Originally the San Pedro Branch of Los Angeles Public Library from 1906-1923, this structure was built with an initial grant of $10,000 from Andrew Carnegie, followed by a supplementary $375 from Carnegie and $500 from the city. Architects Edelsvard and Saffell, as well as H. V. Bradbeer, have been credited with the design of the Classical Revival style building.

After it served as the office of the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce, it was the Seamen's Library until 1966, when it was demolished to make way for the Maritime Industry Memorial.*

 

 

 

 
(1926)^** – Five thousand Marines and sailors from the U.S. Navy battle fleet march on Beacon Street in San Pedro.  City Hall (built in 1909) is in the upper left corner.  The other domed-building is the old San Pedro Branch of the LA Public Library building, seen here when it was occupied by the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce.  

 

Historical Notes

The San Pedro City Hall Building seen above would be domolished in 1927 to make way for a new 7-story City Hall and Municipal Building (1928).

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1930)#*^ – Postcard view looking north from 9th Street showing the Inner Channel with steam ship approaching.  The new City Hall and Municipal Building is at upper left and in the foreground is the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce Building (previously a branch of the LA Public Library).  

 

 

San Pedro City Hall and Municipal Building

 
(1928)* – View showing downtown San Pedro, including the seven-story, 1928-built City Hall and Municipal Building (center left) as seen from the S.S. Catalina as it leaves the Port of Los Angeles.  

 

Historical Notes

The new San Pedro City Hall and Municipal Building was built on the same site where the previous San Pedro City Hall Building stood between 1909 and 1928.

 

 

 
(1938)* - Exterior view of the Municipal Building in San Pedro, also known as the San Pedro City Hall, located at 638 S. Beacon Street in San Pedro.  

 

Historical Notes

Opened in 1928, this seven-story Beaux Arts was built by the Charles W. Pettifer Construction Company under the supervision of Charles O. Brittain of the City of Los Angeles Construction Dept. Specific floors were used for certain purposes: the ground floor basement was a fire station then converted into a garage, the 6th floor included a courtroom, and the 7th floor held an old jail known as, "7th Heaven." *

 

 

 
(2008)*^ - View showing the San Pedro Municipal Building, located at 638 S. Beacon St., San Pedro.  

 

Historical Notes

Also known as "San Pedro City Hall", the seven-story Beaux Arts building is the tallest building in San Pedro. It includes an old jail, a wood-paneled courtroom, and a fire station converted into a museum.*^

In 2002, the San Pedro Municipal Building was dedicated LA Historic-Cultural Monument No. 732 (Click HERE for complete listing).

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

 
(1930)^*^# - Commander of the San Pedro police division, Capt. Daniel M. Long (wearing uniform), watches as a trustee of the harbor jail pours a barrel of whiskey into the gutter. Shortly before this photo was taken, over 4,000 gallons of bootleg alcohol had been seized in the harbor district-San Pedro, Wilmington, Terminal Island and Harbor City.  

 

 

 

 
(1936)* - Exterior view of the Wilmington Division police station at 115 B Street, Wilmington. Three uniformed officers stand in front, and two cars are parked in the garage, facing forward.  

 

 

 

 
(1937)* - View of a business area in Wilmington. Photo shows Van de Kamp's Bakery at the corner of Avalon Boulevard and West I Street. Other businesses includes: J.C. Penney Company building; Cut Rate store and Karl's Shoes.  

 

Historical Notes

Note the dual-lamp style streetlight posts.  One side is capped off either for energy conservation or for keeping illumination levels to a minimum. Click HERE to see more in Early L.A. Streetlights.

 

 

 
(1937)* - Another angle and a closer view showing the Van de Kamp's Bakery on the corner of Avalon Boulevard and West I Street.  

 

Historical Notes

Van de Kamp's Holland Dutch Bakeries was a bakery founded in 1915 and headquartered in the Van de Kamp Bakery Building in Los Angeles. The company's trademark blue windmills featured on their grocery store signs and atop their chain of famous restaurants that were known throughout the region.

The bakery was sold by the Van de Kamp family and acquired by General Baking Co. in 1956. The company was sold to private investors in 1979, and closed in bankruptcy in 1990.

Former Los Angeles County District Attorney John Van de Kamp is a grandson of the baker's founder. The family also founded Lawry's Restaurants and the Tam O'Shanter Inn.*^

 

 

 

 
(1936)*#* - Postcard view of boats anchored at the Los Angeles Harbor.  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1920)#** - Postcard view of the S.S. Avalon between Calalina Island and San Pedro.  

 

Historical Notes

Launched as the S.S. Virginia, the passenger ship carried passengers between Chicago and Milwaukee.  In 1918, she was requisition by the Navy for use in the first world war and renamed the U.S.S. Blueridge.  However, to get her through the St. Lawrence River locks, her bow and 6 feet of her stern had to be cut off and later reassembled.

While waiting for orders in Boston harbor, the Navy finally decided she was no longer needed and she was sold as surplus to William Wrigley, owner of the famous chewing gum company and Catalina Island.

The ship was renamed Avalon and was sent from New York via the Panama Canal, arriving April 5, 1920 and moored at the Catalina Terminal.  However, her debut would not take place until the arrival of William Wrigley Jr.  On April 15, 1920, the Avalon left on her first trip to Catalina, taking her full capacity of 3,000 people.*^#

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1936)* - The S.S. Avalon shown at the dock in the Wilmington harbor before leaving for Santa Catalina.  

 

Historical Notes

The Avalon was tied up to the Catalina terminal, at the foot of a Canal street that ran through San Pedro.  At some point in time around 1921, the ship's name was bestowed upon Canal Street and changed to Avalon Blvd.*^#

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1930s)+# – View showing the S.S. Avalon docked in front of the Catalina Terminal.  In the foreground is the US Coast Guard Douglas Dolphin seaplane.   

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1930s)+# – Postcard view showing passengers preparing to board a  Wilmington Catalina Flying Boat that will take them to Hamilton Cove on Catalina Island.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1931, Philip Wrigley helped design a unique airport at Hamilton Cove, the second cove north of Avalon on Catalina Island. This airport was designed to accommodate the Douglas Dolphin amphibian planes of the Wilmington-Catalina Air Line, Ltd., a Wrigley-operated firm. The twin engine Dolphins landed just offshore and would taxi up a ramp to a large turntable mechanism. The airplane would then be rotated until it was facing the water and ready for a trip back to the mainland. A small Spanish-style terminal building welcomed residents, business people and tourists to Catalina.+#

Click HERE to see views of the airport at Hamilton Cove, Catalina.

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1930s)^^ – View showing docked boats filled with fish.  A long building can be seen across the harbor towards the background. It has "Catalina Terminal” painted on it, while two large two-masted sailing ships can be seen in front of it.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)* - It costs 35 cents to use the auto park for the S. S. Catalina terminal at the Port of Los Angeles. A parking lot attendant sits with a megaphone by the sign.  

 

Historical Notes

In the late 1920's tourist traffic to the Catalina Island was increasing at the rate of 20% annually. In July, August and September of 1929, the S.S. CABRILLO, S. S. AVALON and S. S. CATALINA carried a combined total of 500,000 passengers. The 3 ships offered a total of 5 sailings daily each way.^^*

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)* - An employee assists a man unload his luggage from his car (1936/37 Auburn Cord 812 Westchester) which he has stopped in front of the garage at the Santa Catalina Island terminal at the Port of Los Angeles. A sign suggests flying to Catalina.  

 

Historical Notes

Cord was the brand name of an American automobile company from Connersville, Indiana, manufactured by the Auburn Automobile Company from 1929 through 1932 and again in 1936 and 1937.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)* - People walk across the street to get to the Santa Catalina Island terminal at the Port of Los Angeles. Canopies cover two passenger entrance doorways.  

 

Historical Notes

This building, located at the end of Avalon Boulevard, is now the site of a 1995 community center called Banning's Landing (101 East Water Street).*

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)* - People stand at a line of ticket offices in the Santa Catalina Island terminal at the Port of Los Angeles.  

 

 

 

 
(1934)^^ – View showing the hull of a ship against a dock in San Pedro Harbor.  In the background can be seen another ship also docked.  It is the S.S. Catalina (aka the Great White Steamer).  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)* - View of the S.S. Catalina docked at the Los Angeles Harbor.  

 

Historical Notes

Commonly referred to as the Great White Steamer, the ship was specially built by William Wrigley to serve his Catalina Island as a passenger ferry. She was christened on May 23, 1924. During World War II, she was requisitioned for use as a troop carrier, but in 1946 she resumed her voyages to Avalon.*^*

 

 

 

 
(1924)^# - Side view of William Wrigley's steamship Catalina pulling off of pier with crowd of people on the decks.  

 

 

 

 
(1920s)#**^ - Top deck of the S.S. Catalina filled with passengers as the steamer leaves the LA Harbor for its 23 mile juorney to Catalina Island.  

 

Historical Notes

Among the passengers were movie stars and famous athletes who laughed, danced and drank their way to the island "26 miles across the sea." The S.S. Catalina even hosted 2 United States Presidents at different times. In those days, passengers dressed for the crossing. Gentlemen wore jackets and ties and the ladies dresses and coats, with some carrying umbrellas to protect them from the sun.^^*

 

 

 
(1930s)* - Some people stroll while others sit on board the S.S. Catalina. Hammond Shipping can be seen in the Port of Los Angeles on the right.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1937)^#^^ - Postcard view of the S.S. Catalina steamer passing San Pedro.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1920s)* - View of Avalon Bay across Crescent Bay, on Santa Catalina Island as seen from a mountain top. The Catalina Casino, surrounded by the sea on three sides, is visible at the edge of the bay on the right along with several boats along with the S.S. Catalina, "The Great White Steamer".  

 

Historical Notes

The sons of Phineas Banning bought the island in 1891 from the estate of James Lick and established the Santa Catalina Island Company to develop it as a resort. In 1919, William Wrigley, Jr. bought out almost every share holder until he owned controlling interest in the Santa Catalina Island Company.  The Wilmington Transportation Company which operated the boats between San Pedro and Catalina was now also owned by Wrigley. The S.S. Catalina was built under his direction in 1924.*^

 

 

 
(1920s) - View of the dock, or ferry slip, which is full of passengers that appear to be unloading out of the S.S. Catalina, nicknamed "The Great White Steamer". Dozens of people wait for these travelers, making a pathway for them to walk through. The Post Office and Island Gift Shop can be seen on the left, and several small boats are visible to the right of the wharf.
 

 

Historical Notes

The S.S. Catalina has been recognized as a Historic-Cultural Monument, No. 213 (Click HERE to see the LA Historic-Cultural Monuments List) and also California State Historic Landmark No. 894 (Click HERE to see more California Historic Landmarks in LA). She was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

 

 

 

Click HERE to see more in Early Views of Catalina

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1920s)#^ - Aerial view showing the bascule bridge connecting Terminal Island to the mainland, built in 1924.  

 

Historical Notes

In the early part of the 20th century, Southern Pacific and Pacific Electric trains made their way to San Pedro using trestles to traverse the tidal waters that surrounded it. These railroad bridges made it impossible for ships to use the waterways, so in 1907 the U.S. War Department ordered that the trestles be replaced by drawbridges of the bascule type. #^*^

 

 

 
(1920s)#^*^ - Ground view showing the Badger Avenue Bridge (later the Henry Ford Bridge). The name change occurred when the Ford plant was built next to the bridge in 1930.  

 

Historical Notes

Southern Pacific’s engineering department designed the Strauss bascule bridge, named after the type of bascule designed by Chicago engineer Joseph Strauss, who would later design the Golden Gate Bridge.*#

 

 

 
(1930)^* - View of the Henry Ford Bridge (previously the Badger Ave Bridge) in operation. It was the largest bascule bridge in the world and connected Terminal Island to the mainland. It was sometimes referred to as the "Jacknife Bridge".  

 

Historical Notes

A bascule bridge is a type of drawbridge that employs a counterweight to lift its center section so that ships can pass underneath. The first one was built in Russia in 1850, and they grew in favor among civil engineers because they could be opened quickly – San Pedro’s span took 50 seconds to raise - without using much energy.*#

 

 

 

 
(1924)^^ - Photograph of the Bascule Bridge opening over the Los Angeles Harbor with a boat passing underneath. The bridge can be seen at center at an angle over the water. A small building with three rectangular windows is visible in front of the bridge. A similar second building is visible across the water at right. Metal beams can be seen behind the second building. Two workers can be seen in the foreground. A building with several smokestacks can be seen in the background beyond the water. Back of photoprint reads: "Terminal Island to Mainland".  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1945)^#^ - View of Pacific Electric Railway Company’s car no. 1602 on the Bascule Bridge heading towards San Pedro.  

 

Historical Notes

The San Pedro line used the bascule bridge for decades to bring passengers to and from the Harbor Area. The alternate West Basin Line had to be used during World War II, when the Coast Guard ordered that the bridge remain in the open position as a security measure.*#

 

 

 
(1953)^#^ – View showing a Pacific Electric Red Car near the San Pedro bascule bridge.  

 

Historical Notes

As ridership on the Red Cars began to decrease due to the growing use of buses and personal automobiles following the war, an unfortunate accident occurred that led to the demise of the bascule bridge. On Sept. 28, 1955, a passing ship rammed into the bridge’s counterweight hinge mechanism, damaging it beyond repair. Passengers had to use the West Basin Line, which took about 10 minutes longer. The bridge could not be saved. It was deconstructed shortly thereafter, its iron sold for scrap.*#

 

 

 
(ca. 1935)* - Union Pacific Engine 4230 travels between parked cars at Wilmington Harbor.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1935)* - Fish harbor business district on north end of Terminal Avenue. Street is lined with cafes.  

 

 

San Pedro High School

 
(ca. 1936)* - Exterior view of the front entranceway to San Pedro High School. Location: 1001 West 15th Street  

 

Historical Notes

San Pedro High School is home to two protected landmarks, the Administration Building and Language Arts Building. Both were constructed in 1936 under mandate from the Works Progress Administration. San Pedro High School also has a Mathematics and Sciences Building, a Vocational Arts Building, a cafeteria, numerous bungalow-style classrooms, and three gymnasiums.

In 2003, San Pedro High School celebrated its 100th Anniversary.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1936)* - Exterior view of the backside of the main building of San Pedro High School.  

 

Historical Notes

San Pedro High School and the surrounding area is where much of the filming for Some Kind of Wonderful was done.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1936)* - View of San Pedro High School's auditorium. Rear of main building can be seen in the background.  

 

Historical Notes

In the San Pedro High School Library the murals called “Industrial Life in San Pedro” were painted by Thomas Tyrone Comfort in 1937. The murals are oil on canvas. It consists of nine panels, four are 4x8 feet and five are 10x8 feet. He was an FAP, Federal Arts Project muralist and illustrator. Very few examples of his work exist because he died at the age of thirty in 1939. However some of his work resides in the White House.***#

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

 
(1929)^^ - View of Los Angeles Harbor showing ships at outer dock across deck of a Revenue Cutter showing guns.  A large boat with two masts can be seen at left while docked to a wharf. Ships of various sizes are docked behind the one on left while more can be seen at right. The ripples in the water of the harbor can be seen next to the ships.  

 

Historical Notes

The Coast Guard began as the Revenue Cutter Service which was founded on August 4, 1790 as part of the Department of the Treasury. An act of the U.S. Congress created the Coast Guard in 1915, with the merger of the Revenue Cutter Service and the United States Lifesaving Service. The US Lighthouse Service was merged into the Coast Guard in 1939. The legal basis for the Coast Guard is Title 14 of the United States Code, which states: "The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times." During wartime, the Coast Guard reports to the Department of Defense.

The Coast Guard later moved to the Department of Transportation in 1967, and on March 1, 2003 it became part of the Department of Homeland Security.*^

 

 

 
(1931)^^ - Transferring mail from an ocean liner to the Goodyear Blimp in the Los Angeles Harbor.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1937)* - People stand on the dock at the Los Angeles Harbor watching the S. S. Monterey arrive. Photo by Herman Schultheis  

 

Historical Notes

The S.S. Monterey was a luxury ocean liner launched on October 10, 1931.  It was one of four ships in the Matson Lines "White Fleet" which included SS Malolo, SS Mariposa and SS Lurline. Monterey, the third of four Matson ships designed by William Francis Gibbs was identical to Mariposa and very similar to her sister ship Lurline.
During World War II she was used as a troopship operated as one of the large, fast transports capable of sailing independently by agents of the War Shipping Administration serving Army troop transport requirements. The ship was involved in an attack on a convoy near Cape Bougaroun.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1937)* - Two women stand by a line of waiting cars watching the S. S. Monterey move into dock at berth 156 at the Los Angeles Harbor in San Pedro. Photo by Herman Schultheis  

 

Historical Notes

Monterey was built to promote travel to Hawaii and for Pacific Ocean liner service including regular stops in ports along the West Coast of the United States, Samoa, Fiji, New Zealand and Australia. On 12 May 1932 she took 83 passengers from New York City to the West Coast on a positioning cruise. Her maiden voyage officially began 3 June 1932 in San Francisco, California after which she made stops in Los Angeles, Honolulu, Auckland, Pago Pago, Suva, Sydney and Melbourne. She scored a public relations triumph when she carried much-appreciated supplies to the Bear of Oakland on Byrd's second expedition to the South Pole.

In World War II Monterey served as a fast troop carrier, often operating alone so she would not be slowed by formation navigation in a convoy. The United States Maritime Commission chartered her in 1941 before the US declaration of war to carry 150 Chinese, Korean and Japanese missionaries and stranded US citizens back to San Francisco. Once home, she was quickly refitted to hold 3,500 soldiers. On December 16, 1941 she steamed to Hawaii with 3,349 fresh troops, returning with 800 casualties of the attack on Pearl Harbor.*^

 

 

 
(1937)**** -  Postcard view showing a ferry leaving Terminal Island for San Pedro.  

 

Historical Notes

Before the Vincent Thomas Bridge was completed in 1963, ferries transported thousands of passengers and vehicles to and from the canneries and military bases on Terminal Island.*^

 

 

 

 
(1937)**** -  Auto ferry leaving Terminal Island for San Pedro carrying only one car.  Two men are seen in front of the ferry, one appearing to be sitting on a motorcylce.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1938)^#^^ - Postcard view showing an early model car with two people sitting in the rear rumble seat, parked along a rail overlooking the Los Angeles Harbor at San Pedro.  

 

Historical Notes

So who invented the rumble seat? It was Sir Hubert Malcolm Rhumble, a prominent carriage designer of England’s late 1800s. He designed a coachman’s seat that stuck in the car lexicon, according to the Automobilist Magazine in August 1958. In early vintage automobiles the trunk lid folded back to form a seat area, sometimes called a “mother-in-law” seat. In that era, it must have been the stuff of some pretty good jokes.*#^#

 

 

 

 
(1937)* - Henry Ford Avenue and U.S. Highway 101, Wilmington. Oil derricks can be seen in the background.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1930s)^* – View showing the Hancock Oil Gas Station located at 837 North Pacific Avenue in San Pedro. It was owned by Ray Johnson and George Story. The car on the rack (1930 Buick) is a City of Los Angeles Fire Department vehicle and has the number 1527 on the door. The Homeport (?) Cafe is seen in the distance.  

 

Historical Notes

The two-story service station and office was demolished at in 1966.  Today, J & J Body Shop exists where the service station once stood.  Click HERE to see contemporary view.

HANCOCK Oil Company was headquartered in Los Angeles. In the 1850’s, lawyer Henry Hancock helped the Rocha family establish their legal claim to Rancho La Brea, but they ended up owing him so much in fees that they gave him part of the rancho in payment. In 1860 Hancock and his brother bought the rest of the rancho. Hancock began to sell asphalt produced from the famous tar pits that gave the rancho its name. This was the beginning of the Hancock Oil Company. In 1885 Hancock’s widow leased part of the rancho to eastern oil men who went bust by 1888. But in 1902, Mrs. Hancock leased part of the rancho to the Salt Lake Oil Company, which proved a great success. Henry Hancock’s son, George A. Hancock, who had learned the oil business working for Salt Lake, established his own company in 1906. By February 1907, he had over 70 wells producing nearly 300 barrels a day, making the Hancocks one of California’s wealthiest families. The Hancock family built Hancock Park, a large upscale apartment community. The Hancock Oil Company was sold to Signal Oil in 1958. The 1965 Signal was sold to Humble, and both the Hancock and Signal brands vanished.*

Click HERE to see more Early Views of LA Gas Stations.

 

 

 

 
(1939)* - Photo of the 700 block of Avalon Boulevard shows several businesses which includes: Royal Tailors; Ritz Hotel; Drews Flowers; Haydon's; a photo shop; and a small theater. A large banner hangs over the theater, advertising "any seat, 15 cents, any time."  

 

 

 

 
(1939)* - Night view of Foodman Market in Wilmington. Groups of people can be seen standing on both sides of two large spotlights at the front of the store. Note banners hanging on building.  

 

 

 

 
(1939)* - Exterior view of Banning High School. View is looking at the left side of the building, from across the street. Partial view of the main entrance may be seen towards the middle of the building. Note the architectural design above the entrance.  

 

Historical Notes

Banning High School was renamed in honor of General Phineas Banning when a newer facility at Avalon and Pacific Coast Highway was opened in 1926 (previously Wilmington High School). The 'old' red brick building was a landmark in the Wilmington town for many years. The ivy covered brick building suffered damage in the 1971 Sylmar earthquake and was torn down in 1973.*^

 

 

 
(1939)* - Exterior view of Banning High School. View is looking at the right side of the building, from across the street. Main entrance of school is in the middle of the building, decorated by two large columns.  

 

Historical Notes

For three years, classes were held in bungalows while the new building was being constructed. In fall 1975, the new building was opened on the grounds with a Lakme Avenue address. Along with the new building, a new gym and swimming pool were added to the campus—the home of the Banning Pilots.*^

 

 

 
(1940)* - Exterior view of Studebaker sales and service building. Employees stand by automobiles that are on display at the front of the building.  

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

 
(1929)^^ - View showing cranes unloading steel at Los Angeles Harbor.  At left, a steam-powered crane is pulled across the docks by a small locomotive. At right, a second crane can be seen scooping what appears to be coal from a freight car that reads "Utah Coal Route". In the foreground, stacks of lumber can be seen.  

 

 

 

 
(1930)^^ - Photo of steel pipe being loaded on to a truck with a large magnet at the Los Angeles Harbor.   

 

 

 

 
(1931)^^ – View showing cotton bales being pulled along a wharf in Los Angeles Harbor.  A tractor can be seen in the foreground at left, and it is towing a long line of cylindrical cotton bales behind it at center. The bales are sitting on four flat-bed trailers. In the background at right, a large cargo ship can be seen along the dock, while another freighter is visible in the background at left, across the water.  

 

 

 

 
(1940)* - Before Containers: barrels of liquor are hoisted by ropes, three at-a-time, from the hold of the ship onto the docks.  

 

 

 

 
(1940)* - A whiskey shipment is being unloaded from a ship for Norton Lily & Co.  

 

 

 

 
(1940)* - Barrels of liquor are being moved, nine barrels at a time, to be stored in a warehouse at San Pedro Harbor.  

 

 

 

 
(1940)* - View shows barrels of liquor stored in a warehouse. The number 1, encircled, is written on each barrel.  

 

 

 

 
(1939)* - Aerial view of the L.A. Harbor, looking south. View also shows the Union refinery in Wilmington.  

 

 

 

 
(1940)* - A crew of men busily work on the construction of railroad tracks on a bridge, over the harbor. When completed, the tracks will lead from one side of the harbor to the oil fields at Associated Oil Co., Watson refinery, in Wilmington. In the background can be seen a multitude of oil wells of the Wilmington Oil Field.  

 

Historical Notes

The Wilmington Oil Field was discovered in 1932 and is the third largest oil field in the United States. The field runs roughly southeast to northwest through the Los Angeles Basin, stretching from the middle of San Pedro Bay through Long Beach and east of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. The field originally contained approximately 3 billion barrels of reserves. As of 2002, approximately 90% of its original reserves had been recovered, leaving approximately 300 million barrels.

The offshore portion of the oil field is developed largely through wells drilled directionally from THUMS Islands, four artificial islands in Long Beach Harbor.*^

 

 

 
(1940s)^^ - Photo showing Lockheed airplanes being loaded for foreign shipment at Los Angeles Harbor.  Five planes with bulls eyes painted on the back end sit on the end of a triangular slot of paved land while three automobiles are visible in the right foreground. The side of one truck reads "Liberty Dairy Products" while what seems to be the back portion of a ship can be seen at left. An airplane sits in the deck of the ship while another large ship is visible at right. Water sits directly behind the ships while oil rigs are scattered about the land behind the harbor.  

 

 

Banning Residence

 
(1937)* - Exterior view of Phineas Banning's residence in Banning Park in Wilmington. Large trees and greenery can be seen on both sides of the home.  

 

Historical Notes

The historic Greek Revival-Victorian Banning House was built in 1863 by Phineas Banning near the original San Pedro Bay. It remained in the Banning family until 1925 and has been owned by the City of Los Angeles since 1927. The home, barn and gardens are now operated as a museum.*^

 

 

 
(1937)* - Exterior view of the Greek Revival style residence of Phineas Banning, located at 401 East M Street in Banning Park in Wilmington.  

 

Historical Notes

The Banning Residence was lived in by three generations of the Banning family until it and the surrounding land were acquired by the City of Los Angeles in 1927. Eighteen rooms of the house containing furniture and decorative elements added during 60 years of Banning family residence in the house are shown to the public during regular tours of the house and grounds. #^*

 

 

 
(n.d.)#^* - Exterior rear view, looking northeast, of the General Phineas Banning House, built in 1864 in the Greek Revival style.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1963, the Banning House property, also known as Banning Park, was designated as Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 25 (Click HERE to see complete listing).  It is also California Historical Landmark No. 147 (Click HERE to see more in California Historical Landmarks in LA) as well as being federally listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

 
(1941)* - Aerial view of Harbor Hills in San Pedro, dated April 2, 1941.  Photo by Spence Air Photos  

 

Historical Notes

Spence Air Photos was a one-man company ~ photographer, "Robert Earl Spence". He began shooting aerials in 1918. In the 1920s he had numerous clients hiring him to shoot homes and businesses. Spence would shoot images at an angle, not straight down, showing many additional building details. Spence was not a pilot, he hired an airplane pilot to fly him overhead while he leaned out from the cockpit with a bulky camera to get angled shots of the landscape. His method captured the details of the homes and their surroundings all the way to the horizon. He continued to photograph homes for 50 years.

In 1971, Spence retired and donated his collection of 110,000 negatives to the University of California Geography Department. He passed away in 1974.****^

At UCLA, the Spence Collection is part of The Benjamin and Gladys Thomas Air Photo Archives.

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1940)^* – View of San Pedro with the Palos Verdes Hills in the background.  The large building at center-right is the Warner Grand Theatre.  

 

Historical Notes

Originally known as the Warner Bros Theatre, the Warner Grand Theatre was the first sound-equipped theatre in the South Bay. It opened to the public on January 20, 1931, with a star-studded gala premier. Jack Warner christened it "The Castle of Your Dreams." *^

 

 

 

 
(1931)* – Exterior view of the Warner Bros. Theater, located at 478 W. 6th Street in San Pedro. Marquee reads: Opening Week's Laugh Riot - Joe E. Brown - Going Wild.  

 

Historical Notes

The design of the Warner Grand Theatre was a collaboration by architect B. Marcus Priteca and interior designer Anthony Heinsbergen, in the Art Deco—Moderne style. It was one of three similarly lavish Los Angeles area Art Deco movie palaces on which Priteca and Heinsbergen collaborated for the Warner Bros. company in the early 1930s. The Warner Beverly Hills Theatre has been demolished, and the Huntington Park Warner, closed for many years, has been extensively altered, leaving the Grand as the last of the three original theaters remaining intact.

Priteca later designed Hollywood's famous Pantages Theatre.*^

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)* – Interior view of the Warner Grand Theater showing the auditorium seating on both levels and the projection booth. The ceiling and walls are decorated with various Art Deco architectural details.  

 

Historical Notes

The theatre interior was designed by Antoon (Anthony) B. Heinsbergen and featured grand, wood-carved ceilings with a copper, gold, and silver sunburst design, Art Deco tile and lighting fixtures, and ornate wall tapestries.

In the 1980s, the theatre was renamed the Warner Grand and in 1982 it was dedicated Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 251 (Click HERE to see complete listing).

 

 

 
(ca. 1938)* - Exterior view of the Warner Bros. Theater located at 478 W. 6th Street in San Pedro. A banner hanging in front of the theater, advertises James Dunn in "Mysterious Crossing." There are several shops to the right of the theater, such as a Novelties shop, a Tailor and a Dry Goods. Early model automobiles are parked along the curb on the street.  

 

Historical Notes

The Warner Grand Theatre went through numerous incarnations over the years, including the San Pedro Theatre (1937), the Stanley Warner San Pedro Theatre (1956), the Warner Theatre (1957), and the Stanley Warner Theatre (1959). In the 1970s, the venue became a Mexican film house called Teatro Juarez. During this period, changes to the opulent interior included covering the plush velvet seats in red, green, and beige vinyl as an homage to the Mexican flag. #***

 

 

 
(2008)*^ - Exterior view of the Warner Grand Theatre at 478 W. 6th Street in San Pedro.  

 

Historical Notes

The theater was facing possible demolition or re-development when, in 1995, a local group of activists formed the Grand Vision Foundation to work for the preservation of the historic building. Their efforts were successful when the theater was purchased by the Cultural Affairs Department (later renamed the Department of Cultural Affairs) of the City of Los Angeles in 1996. Efforts to both restore and program the theater have been ongoing since the acquisition.

In 1999, the Warner was added to the National Register of Historic Places as building #98001633.

Warner Grand Theatre currently hosts foreign films, art films, and family films presented by Cinema Grand, Grand Vision Foundation, the Los Angeles Harbor International Film Festival, and the San Pedro International Film Festival.*^

 

 

 
(1941)* - Exterior view of Rubber Products Co. at 114 East G Street, in Wilmington. The shop sells tires, rims and other automotive products. Oil well sits in the background.  

 

 

 

 
(1941)* - Exterior view of Port of Los Angeles, Berth 178, McCormick Steamship Co. Railroad tracks may be seen on both sides of the building. Rail cars on left are stacked with cargo, possibly unloaded from a ship anchored by the dock.  

 

 

 

Fish Harbor (Terminal Island)

 
(1941)#** – View showing Fish Harbor at Terminal Island, home port for the Japanese (American) fishing fleet. In the background are some of the canneries.  

 

Historical Notes

Terminal Island, home to a vibrant and flourishing Japanese fishing village before residents were evicted and imprisoned during World War II, has recently been named one of America’s most endangered historic places by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. #**

 

 

 
(1942)*^## - Impounded Japanese fishing boats at the Los Angeles Harbor.  

 

Historical Notes

Following President Franklin D. Roosevelt issuing Executive Order 9066 on Feb. 19, 1942, the first major Los Angeles relocation of Japanese and Japanese Americans occurred at Terminal Island.

By 1942 about 3,000 residents lived in the Japanese fishing community on Terminal Island, also called East San Pedro or Fish Harbor. After Pearl Harbor, many male Japanese residents were detained by the FBI and all Japanese-owned fishing boats impounded. ^**

 

 

 
(1942)#** - The fishing fleet at rest and for sale, Terminal Island.  

 

Historical Notes

On Feb. 21, 1942, the U.S. Navy began condemnation proceedings to remove all residents – mostly Japanese – from areas near naval bases on Terminal Island. Within a week, further military orders led to clearing all residents in a mass move documented by the Los Angeles Times.^**

 

 

 
(1942)* - It was moving day on February 23, 1942, for Japanese residents at Fish Harbor, Terminal Island, as U. S. troops took possession of the harbor under a federal condemnation writ and scores of Japanese families began their mass evacuation. This photo shows soldiers patrolling a Japanese section while a truck loaded with household goods passes by.  

 

 

 

 
(1942)#** – View showing “Main Street Fish Camp”, Terminal Island.  

 

Historical Notes

In the days following the detention and transfer of residents to Manzanar. The robust fishing and cannery businesses will not reestablish themselves after the war.

 

Shipbuilding at Terminal Island

 
(ca. 1938)* - View down a ship frame and into the harbor at Terminal Island.  

 

Historical Notes

Terminal Island launched a worldwide tuna canning industry that made tuna-fish a staple of American households and played a crucial role in both World Wars as a major shipbuilding center. The shipyards in the area employed about 90,000 men and women of all ethnicities at the height during World War II. *

 

 

 
(1941)#** – Four young ladies posing for the camera while acting as though they’re trying to turn a propeller on Terminal Island.  

 

Historical Notes

Terminal Island played a key role in both World Wars, setting world records for quick production of ships for the war effort.

Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation operated the site as a repair facility until 1941, when the specter of another world war led the U.S. Maritime Administration to assist with a $4.5 million project to ready the facilities for shipbuilding once again. This time, instead of merchant marine vessels, the shipyard would produce Fletcher class destroyers, a new kind of naval defense ship. The first ship to launch from the yard was the USS Kendrick in April 1942; the last was the USS Hardwood, christened in 1945. According to the employee manual, "Never before in the history of the world have so many people taken part in a production battle of this kind, and never before has the fate of nations depended so much on the people on the production front."  #***

 

 

 
(1942)^^ - View of the launching of Hull 96 in San Pedro. Photo by Dick Whittington.  

 

Historical Notes

Hull 96 would become the USCGC Staten Island, an ice breaker, she will see service in the Second World War and continue well into the 1970's. Here she sees the water for the first time as the men and women who built her look on. #**

 

 

 
(1943)#+ – View showing the commissioning ceremony of USS Cassin Young in San Pedro Harbor, seen here between the USS Preston at left and the USS Comfort at right.  

 

Historical Notes

USS Cassin Young (DD-793), a Fletcher-class destroyer, was a ship of the U.S. Navy named for Captain Cassin Young (1894–1942), who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroism at the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and who was killed in the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal in the fall of 1942.

Cassin Young (DD-793) was launched 12 September 1943 by Bethlehem Steel Corp., San Pedro, California; sponsored by Mrs. C. Young; and commissioned 31 December 1943, Commander E. T. Schrieber in command.

After serving in World War II, including the Battle of Leyte Gulf and the Battle of Okinawa, the Cassin Young continued in active service until 1960. She is preserved today as a memorial ship, berthed at Boston Navy Yard in Massachusetts, across from the old warship the USS Constitution. She was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1986 as one of only four surviving Fletcher-class destroyers still afloat.*^

 

 

 
(1946)*#* - U.S. naval ships illuminate the skies above the Los Angeles Harbor in honor of Foreign Trade Week.  

 

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1950)*##* - Panoramic view of the San Pedro Red Car Staion circa 1950.  A group of people are standing by the tracks waiting for the next rail car to arrive.  

 

 

 

 

 
(2008)#^ - This map illustrates the changes Wilmington Lagoon underwent to become the present day Port of Los Angeles.  

 

 

 

 
(1955)* - Aerial view looking northeast of the Ports of Los Anglees and Long Beach.  

 

Historical Notes

Rancho Palos Verdes and the Portuguese Bend are visible on the bottom left corner; San Pedro (large inhabited area) and Point Fermin (peak that stretches out) are at bottom middle; the white "thread" extending outward toward the right of the Pacific Ocean are the fishing pier and Middle Breakwater. Terminal Island (lower center) is identified by the smallish "islet", which is connected to the Port of Long Beach (middle right, arched area). The city of Long Beach spans far into the distance.

Portuguese Bend was the site of an old 1800s whaling station. The site was designated California Historical Landmark No. 381 (Click HERE to see more in California Historical Landmarks in Los Angeles).

 

 

 

 
(1964)^^ - Aerial View facing south over the Los Angeles Harbor.  The Main Channel opens into Outer Los Angeles Harbor, facing Catalina Island, 22 miles away yet seemingly closer.  

 

 

 

 

 
(1956)* - Aerial view of the Los Angeles Harbor and Terminal Island; view is looking southwest toward the Pacific Ocean. The East Basin is at lower left, flowing into East Basin Channel; Turning Basin is at middle; West Basin is at lower right; the Los Angeles Main Channel at center, flows into the Pacific Ocean. Terminal Island is on middle left; the city of San Pedro is at center right; Cabrillo Beach and Point Fermin are visible at upper middle. Santa Catalina Island is in the far background.  

 

 

 

 
(1956)* - Aerial view of the Los Angeles Harbor and San Pedro; view is looking southwest. The Los Angeles Main Channel runs up the middle, veering toward the left, and into the Pacific Ocean; Mobilgas/Mobiloil (with large cylindrical vats) is located on Terminal Island along middle left; the city of San Pedro is on the right. There is a clear view of Santa Catalina Island in the distance (Click HERE to see more in Early Views of Catalina).  

 

 

 

 
(n.d.)* - The pathway winds through a grove of palm trees at Royal Palms State Beach at White Point, located at 1799 Paseo del Mar in San Pedro.  

 

Historical Notes

White Point is a popular coastal destination year round and is home to some of the most diverse tide pools in Southern California. The tide pools extend about a mile south of White Point to Point Fermin Park. At the turn of the century, this secluded cove was settled by immigrant fishermen who were attracted by the vast beds of abalone off the peninsula. Later, the discovery of geothermal sulfur hot springs brought the development of an ocean-side health spa and resort. An earthquake in the 1930's all but closed off the springs. In more recent years, the favorite activity in this busy area is trying to find sea slugs and octopus among the large rock benches and deep pools.*

 

 

 
(1962)* - View of Avalon Boulevard, Wilmington's principal street, known to millions who have visited Port of Los Angeles to board ships or who have disembarked here. Tall palm trees line both sides of the street in this business area. The Don Hotel, a four-story building, is on the right.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1960s)* - Aerial view looking inland from the Los Angeles Harbor. The Municpal Ferry building can be seen in the foreground.  

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1942)#*^ - View looking east from 6th and Beacon streets in San Pedro, with the Municipal Ferry building in the background.  Note the ornate streetlights.  Click HERE to see more in Early L.A. Streetlights.  

 

Historical Notes

The San Pedro Municipal Ferry Building was built in 1941 as a Works Project Administration project. Designed by B. Irvine in the Streamline Moderne style, the building was a working ferry terminal from 1941 to 1963.*^

 

 

 
(1944)* - Exterior view of the Municipal Ferry building looking towards Terminal Island, at 6th and Harbor Boulevard.  

 

Historical Notes

Ferry service discontinue after 22 years when the new Vincent Thomas Bridge opened in 1963.*^^

 

 

 

 
(1949)++# - View looking west showing a ferry crossing the Main Channel toward the Municipal Ferry Building with the San Pedro Municipal Building on the left.  In the background can be seen Palos Verdes blanketed with snow.  Photo date:  Jan 11, 1949  

 

Historical Notes

Before the Vincent Thomas Bridge was built, hundreds of cannery and shipyard workers made their daily passage from San Pedro to Terminal Island aboard ferry boats. State Assemblyman Vincent Thomas thought the ferry system inadequate, and proposed the bridge to replace it.^**

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1960)*^^ - The Vincent Thomas Bridge under construction. It is the fourth largest suspension bridge in the State of California.  

 

Historical Notes

The Vincent Thomas Bridge is the first suspension span ever to be built on steel piles — 990 of them were sunk to hold it up, instead of the more traditional concrete supports. And it is the first to be built entirely without rivets; the steel is welded together.*^^

 

 

 
(ca. 1963)^* - View of the Vincent Thomas Bridge showing its longest span nearly completed.  

 

Historical Notes

The bridge is 6,060 feet long, 52 feet wide, 365 feet tall.  Its longest span is 1,500 feet, and the clearance below is 185 feet.*^

Construction of the bridge required: 92,000 tons of Portland cement; 13,000 tons of lightweight concrete; 14,100 tons of steel; and 1,270 tons of suspension cable.

The main span of the Vincent Thomas Bridge is 1,500 feet long as compared to the Golden Gate Bridge at 4,200 feet long.*#^

 

 

 

 
(1963)^** - The Vincent Thomas Bridge nears completion between San Pedro and Terminal Island.  

 

Historical Notes

California Assemblyman Vincent Thomas, who represented San Pedro, spent 19 years beginning in 1940 arguing for the 16 different pieces of legislation that were necessary for its construction. When the bridge opened in 1963, Thomas was the longest-serving assembyman. In 1961, the legislature passed a special Concurrent Resolution 131 in order to name it after him while he was still serving.*^

 

 

 

 
(1963)*^^^ - Panoramic view showing The Islander ferry in its last days of service with the nearly completed Vincent Thomas Bridge in the distance and the Municipal Ferry Building in the foreground.  

 

Historical Notes

In 1963, the Vincent Thomas Bridge was completed connecting the mainland to Terminal Island, and there was no longer a need for ferry service. Accordingly, the ferry service was terminated. The terminal building on the Terminal Island side was demolished, but the building on the San Pedro side was used for many years as an office building by the Los Angeles Harbor Department. As the ferry building began to deteriorate, citizens of San Pedro sought to have it restored. They succeeded in having the building designated as a Historic-Cultural Monument (No. 146) in 1975, and starting in 1976 the building was renovated and converted into the Los Angeles Maritime Museum. The museum opened in 1979. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.*^

 

 

 

 
(ca. 1964)#*^ - One of the world’s largest car carriers at the time, Volkswagen ship Johann Schulte, arrives at the Port of Los Angeles.  View shows 100s of VW Beetles, all lined up and waiting for transport to dealerships.  The newly opened Vincent Thomas Bridge stands tall in the background.  

 

Historical Notes

The Volkswagen Beetle, or informally the Volkswagen Bug, was produced from 1938 until 2003. The need for this kind of car, and its functional objectives, were formulated by Adolf Hitler, leader of Nazi Germany, wishing for a cheap, simple car to be mass-produced for the new road network of his country. He contracted Porsche in 1934 to design and build it to his exacting standards. Ferdinand Porsche and his team took until 1938 to finalize the design.

This is one of the first rear-engined cars. With over 21 million manufactured in an air-cooled, rear-engined, rear-wheel drive configuration, the Beetle is the longest-running and most-manufactured car of a single design platform, worldwide.*^

 

 

 
(1988)^** - Traffic streams across the Vincent Thomas Bridge at dusk.  

 

Historical Notes

Skeptics predicted it would serve fewer than 2,000 vehicles a day and that it would take taxpayers 40 years to pay for the $21-million structure. In its first month of operation, however, the bridge served a daily average of 9,631 vehicles. And most of the debt was paid off within 20 years.^**

 

 

 
(ca. 2010s)^^*# – Night view showing the Vincent Thomas Bridge.  

 

Historical Notes

When the Bridge opened in 1963, a 25-cent toll was collected in each direction. On grand opening day, Assemblyman Thomas paid the first toll. In 1983, the toll increased to 50 cents for westbound traffic and was free for eastbound traffic.  In 2000, the Bridge was considered “paid for” and the toll was repealed.*#^

 

 

 
(2013)^** - Vincent Thomas Bridge on a foggy morning from West Santa Cruz Street, Rancho Palos Verdes.  

 

Historical Notes

The Vincent Thomas Bridge now carries 26,500 vehicles a day. It is widely credited with providing a crucial transportation link to the Port of Los Angeles and of aiding the port’s phenomenal growth.^**

 

 

 

 
(2009)#*^ - View of the former cruise ship terminal at Berth 153 and the Port of Los Angeles clock tower. Photo taken February 2, 2009.  

 

Historical Notes

The World Cruise Terminal at the Port of Los Angeles (passenger and cargo ternminals at Berth 93), opened in 1963. It was designed by AIA award-winning architect Edward H. Fickett, F.A.I.A. 

The terminal which hosted the original Love Boat TV series from 1977 to 1986 was modernized and expanded in 2010-11 to accommodate the most modern megaships.*^^

 

 

 

 
(2011)#*^ - A busy day in San Pedro with four cruise ships docked at the World Cruise Center.  

 

Historical Notes

Located in the San Pedro District beneath the Vincent Thomas Bridge, the World Cruise Center is th largest cruise ship terminal on the West Coast.  It has three passenger ship berths and transports over 1 million passengers annually.*^

Cruise lines served: Carnival Cruise Lines, Celebrity Cruises, Crystal Cruises, Cunard Line, Disney Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean International, Seabourn Cruise Line, Silver Sea Cruises.*^^

 

 

 
(2009)**^# - The San Pedro Harbor and Long Beach Harbor stand out in a perspective view with Landsat overlay of the Los Angeles Basin.  

 

Historical Notes

Most of Los Angeles is visible in this computer-generated north-northeast perspective viewed from above the Pacific Ocean. In the foreground the hilly Palos Verdes peninsula lies to the left of the San Pedro and Long Beach harbors, and in the middle distance the various communities that comprise the greater Los Angeles area appear as shades of grey and white. In the distance the San Gabriel Mountains rise up to separate the basin from the Mojave Desert, which can be seen near the top of the image.

This 3-D perspective view was generated using topographic data from the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) and an enhanced color Landsat 5 satellite image mosaic. Topographic expression is exaggerated one and one-half times.**^#

 

 

 
(2014)^## - Map of the Port of Los Angeles as it exists today, showing points of interest.  

 

1. The Original Wienerschnitzel Restaurant
2. Saint John’s Episcopal Church
3. Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church
4. Banning Residence Museum
5. Wilmington Cemetery
6. Drum Barracks Powder Magazine
7. Drum Barracks Civil War Museum
8. Banning Park Wrigley Historic District
9. Camphor Trees
10. Memory Chapel, Calvary Presbyterian Church
11. Old Wilmington Library
12. Masonic Lodge No. 198
13. Wilmington Waterfront Park
14. Banning’s Landing Community Center/
Phineas Banning Bronze Statue
15. Vincent Thomas Bridge
16. Catalina Sea and Air Terminal
17. Gateway Plaza Fanfare Fountains and Water Feature/ World Cruise Center
18. Port of Los Angeles Waterfront Red Car Line
19. Multiculturalism Statue
20. USS IOWA Battleship
21. Fireboat Ralph J. Scott/Fire Station 112
22. Los Angeles Port Police Headquarters
23. Port of Los Angeles Administration Building
24. Liberty Hill
25. John S. Gibson Park Memorials
26. Downtown Harbor (Under construction)
27. Warner Grand Theater

 

   

28. Historic Downtown San Pedro
29. San Pedro City Hall
30. Los Angeles Fire Department Museum
31. Los Angeles Maritime Museum
32. Ports O’Call Village
33. Vinegar Hill Historic District
34. U.S. Post Office, San Pedro
35. Muller House Museum
36. Timm’s Point/Timms Landing
37. CRAFTED at the Port of Los Angeles
38. 22nd St. Park
39. Cabrillo Way Marina
40. Japanese American Fishing Village Memorial
41. Municipal Warehouse No. 1
42. Cabrillo Marina
43. S.S. Lane Victory (Victory Ship)
44. Cabrillo Fishing Pier
45. Angels Gate Lighthouse (No pedestrian access)
46. World-Famous Whale Watching Tours and Premier Sportfishing
47. Cabrillo Beach Bathhouse & Outer Cabrillo Beach
48. Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo Statue
49. Cabrillo Marine Aquarium & Inner Cabrillo Beach
50. Stephen M. White Statue
51. Point Fermin Lighthouse
52. Korean Bell/Angels Gate Cultural Center
53. Fort MacArthur Military Museum/Battery Osgood Farley
54. Cirque du Soleil Totem – Oct 11 thru Nov 10

 

 

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

More Historical Early Views

 

 

Newest Additions

 

 

Early LA Buildings and City Views

 

 

History of Water and Electricity in Los Angeles

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

References and Credits

* LA Public Library Image Archive

**DWP - LA Public Library Image Archive

^^USC Digital Library

^#UCLA Digital Collection

*#South Bay Daily Breeze: San Pedro’s Bascule Bridge; The Free Harbor Day Jubilee

#^Flickr: History of San Pedro Harbor and Terminal Island

#* Huntington Digital Library Archive

#+ World War II Database: USS Cassin Young

+# Catalinagoose.com: Wilmington-Catalina Airline

#^^California State Library Image Archive

#^*Library of Congress Image Archive: 1909 Panorama with City Hall: 1919 U.S. Naval Fleet

#*^Facebook.com - San Pedro's Original Website, San Pedro.com

#**Flickr.com: Michael Ryerson

##*PacificBattleships.com

*#*KCET - Inventing LA: Port of Los Angeles; L.A.'s First Railroads Connected the Region to the Global Economy; Why Is SoCal's Harbor Split Between Two Cities?

*^*California Historic Landmark Listing (Los Angeles)

^^*S.S. Avalon and S.S. Catalina

***Maritime Timetable Images

**^Wilmington Historic Society

^*^LA Okay: San Pedro

**#Maureen Megowan: History of San Pedro; Secrets about the Palos Verdes Peninsula

++#Facebook: Paul Ayers

*^#Avalon: cawreckdivers.org.com

^*#Avalon Boulevard: publicradio.org

*^^Port of Los Angeles: portoflosangeles.org

^**LA Times: Japanese Evicted from Terminal Island; Framwork: The Vincent Thomas Bridge

^^#SanPedro.com: Fishing Industry

*#*The Catalina Islander

^#^LA Metro Transportation Image Archive

^##Port of Los Angeles: Discover the LA Waterfront

^#*Los Angeles Fire Department Historical Archive

*#^Vincent Thomas Bridge - Facts and Figures

*^*^The Banning Compnay: socialarchive.virginia.ed

*^^*Pacific Eelecfric in San Pedro/Wilmington

^**^The Historical Society of Southern California

****Pamona Public Library’s Frasher Foto Postcard Collection

***^San Pedro and Los Angeles Harbor History

***#WPA in LA: The New Deal in Los Angeles 1933-43

**^#Archive.org: Perspective View with Landsat Overlay, Los Angeles Basin

^*^*Pinterest: Cars - Bertrand Lacheze

^*^#Facebook.com - Bizzare Los Angeles

^^*#Facebook.com - Classic Hollywood/Los Angeles/SFV

^^**Flickr.com - Floyd B. Bariscale Photostream: Dodson Residence; Fireboat No. 2 and Firehouse No. 112

*^^^Los Angeles Maritime Museum

^^^#Dominguez Rancho Adobe Museum

*##*Portoflosangeles.org: Prot History

**##Point Fermin Lighthouse

^#^^Calisphere: University of California Image Archive

^#^#Press Reference Library, Volume 2 (Google eBook)

*#*#Benjamin Wilson

*#^#Sirensofchrome.com: Rumble Seat

*^##OAC - Online Archive of California

^^##LAist: A Park a Day: Point Fermin Park, San Pedro

#***Los Angeles Conservancy: Warner Grand Theatre; Wartime Shipbuilding on Terminal Island

#**^LA County Library Image Archive

#^**California Elks State Association

#^*^Port of Long Beach Blogspot

#*^*Los Angeles City Historical Society

#*#^LAParks.org: Cabrillo Bath House

****^Facebook.com: West San Fernando Valley Then And Now

^* Noirish Los Angeles - forum.skyscraperpage.com; San Pedro Harbor; 1885 Harbor; 1905 City Hall; Vincent Thomas Bridge; Wilmington Storage and Towing Co.; 5th Street Landing; San Pedro and Palos Verdes ca. 1940; Breakwater and Lighthouse Postcard

*^ Wikipedia: San Pedro; Wilmington; Deadman's Island (San Pedro); Phineas Banning; Daguerreotype; Drum Barracks; Los Angeles Terminal Railway; Santa Catalina Island; S.S. Catalina; Cord Automobile; Banning High School; Wilmington Oil Field; San Pedro High School; Ford Model T; Pt. Fermin Light; Padre Fermín Lasuén; San Pedro Bay; James H. Dodson Residence; Vincent Thomas Bridge; S.S. Monterey; Los Angeles Harbor Lighthouse; S.S. Yale; Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo; World Cruise Center; Volkswagon Beetle; Warner Grand Theatre; San Pedro Municipal Ferry Building; USS Cassin Young; SS California; US Coast Guard

 

< Back