DWP Institutional History

Recollections by C. Clarke Keely

 
   

Historical Notes

In this paper, C. Clarke Keely writes about his time spent in Owens Valley and San Francisquito Canyon as an employee of Bureau of Power and Light during the early years of the LA Aqueduct.  Included are sections titled:  Bureau of Power and Light, Ranchers vs. the City, The St. Francis Dam Failure, and the Aftermath.  Later Mr. Keely would go on and become a DWP Commissioner.

The article shows the hardships, adventures, and risks that faced early DWP employees working on the aqueduct.    

Click HERE to see more.

This paper was submitted by his son, Russel D. Keely.

 

* * * * *

 

 

DWP Partners with USC on Electric Vehicle Development

Intake Magazine - July 1972

 
   
 
   

Historical Notes

Electric cars might seem like the vehicles of the future, but they are actually a status symbol of the past. 

During the early years of the “Automotive Age,”—from about 1896 to 1930—as many as 1,800 different car manufacturers functioned in the U.S. While innovators in Europe had been working on battery-powered vehicles since the 1830s, the first successful electric car in the U.S. made its debut in 1890.

The production of electric cars peaked in 1912.  And while at the turn of the century electric cars had made up a good proportion of the market, advances in gasoline-powered vehicles meant that electric cars owned a smaller and smaller market share as time went on.

By 1935, electric cars had all but disappeared from the road.

It would take decades—and the persistent oil crises of the 1970s—before interest in electric cars once again fueled new technologies. In 1976, Congress passed the Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Research, Development, and Demonstration Act to support research and development in electric and hybrid vehicles.^

 

* * * * *

 

 

Early Use of Electric Vehicles by DWP

 
(1920s)* - View showing an early model electric-powered truck being used by a Bureau of Power and Light* crew as they work on an ornamental street light.  

 

Historical Notes

* In 1937 the Bureau of Power and Light consolidated with the Bureau of Water Works and Supply to become the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (DWP). Click HERE to see more in DWP Name Change Chronology.

 


 
(1920s) - An electric powered streetlight truck used by the Bureau of Power and Light in the early 1920s. Click HERE to see more in Early Views of LA Streetlights.  

 

* * * * *

 

 

Intake Magazine - July-August 1981

 
   

Note: Dennis Miller, Hoddy Rupp. and Nabil Assaf (all retired), continue to stay active by participating in hiking and biking groups. They still ride together regularly and compete in multiple Century rides every year. Dennis has completed an amazing 37 Grand Tour Double Centuries as of June 2018. All three are still going strong!

 

* * * * *

 

 

Intake Magazine - June 1978

 
   

Page 2

 
   

Note: David Oliphant currently serves on the Executive Board of Water and Power Associates, Inc.

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

 

(ca. 1930s) - Photo showing Otto Oltmann standing next to his work truck.  Oltmann worked at the Chatsworth Reservoir

Photo courtesy of Jennifer Staton (granddaughter).

Note:  Lettering on truck reads: Bureau of Water Works & Supply.  In 1937, Bureau of Water Works & Supply merged with Bureau of Bureau of Power and Light to form Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (DWP).*

     

 

 

< Back